Part 28

"I can't believe you're actually here." Luke said once they'd had a few drinks and were much more relaxed. Marco had been smart enough to excuse himself, leaving Echo alone with Luke.

"I can't either." She said, shaking her head and taking another sip. Luke watched her, knowing that it must have taken a lot for her to get here tonight and deciding that he was just going to let it go... after all, he was relieved. Absolutely relieved because he was sure that if just a couple of more days went by he would have gone straight to her house to get her.

Now, as he watched her sitting back and looking more relaxed than ever, he thought just how great she looked... even if she was dressed horribly. He hadn't missed the look on Grace's face when Luke took Echo's hand. Echo was definitely not the type of woman he was usually seen with and Luke had done his best to make sure she dressed the part but tonight... he didn't care what she wore. As long as she was here with him, she could wear anything she wanted.

"It's getting late." He said, watching her take another shot. The truth was that Echo wasn't much of a drinker but she found that with every drink, it really was easier to relax.

"Not that late." She said with a sigh as she watched him stand. "But I guess I should be going."

He took her hand and helped her up, then walked over to the bar to settle the tab.

"I'm going to be very late as it is." She continued to murmur.

"It can't be helped. You were the one that decided to drive all the way out here. If you had messaged me, I would have met you in the city." He said, taking her hand again and leading her out the door.

"You would have?" She asked, glancing up at him.

"Of course." He said, turning to face her as they stepped out side. "Echo, I told you I just want to spend time with you."

He reached out, placing his hand on her cheek and watched as she closed her eyes. Whatever she said, she knew she was enjoying the contact, enjoying having Luke so close.

"Come on." He said, making her open her eyes and nod.

"I'm right there." She said, pointing to her car in the back of the lot.

"Keys?" He asked, prompting her to pull them out of her pocket with a frown.

"You can't drive, you're not on my insurance." She said, a hiccup escaping her pretty lips and Luke chuckled.

"Trust me, It'll be fine." He said, snatching the keys from her hand and walking over to it. Echo sighed, too tired and dizzy to argue with him. What good would it do anyway? Luke always got his way.

"It's a long drive." She said as she settled into the passenger seat of the car and closed her eyes.

"Baby, there's no way we're making that drive tonight. Come on, we're going home." He said, pulling out of the parking lot and making her snap her eyes open.

"Sorry, where are we going?" She said, letting his words sink in.

"I already told you... Home. You can drive back to your house when you're feeling a bit... better." He said. Echo didn't know what to say, she couldn't think quite clearly and she honestly felt quite happy to think she could be in a bed soon.

Besides, if she was honest, she knew she wasn't in any shape to drive. Still, she did her best to try to clear her mind and sober up... maybe if she just rested her eyes for a second..

"What's that?" Luke asked, noticing a bag that was sitting by Echo's feet. Echo looked down and smiled, pulling the bag onto her lap.

"It's the dress and shoes you left in my trunk." She said, remembering that she'd grabbed it on her way out of the house. Luke frowned.