Part 19

"What in the world?" Maru stared at Echo was propped up in front of her mirror with a tissue up to her nose.

"It's just a nose bleed." Echo said with a snort. "I get them sometimes when I'm stressed."

"No, I mean WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT?" Maru replied, walking over to her with her eyes wide open. "Where did you get this... oh wow."

Maru put her hand on her forehead as she tried to process what she was seeing. Echo turned with a sigh, one hand on the tissue and the other on a chair to help her balance. 

"Don't ask." Echo said, pulling the chair out and sitting.

"Too late, I need to know." Maru said. "I've never EVER seen you dressed like that... Are those... those are Louboutins."

Echo looked down at the shoe and lifted her foot up. Such a pretty shoe... but the poor feet inside them were throbbing.

"Are they?" She said. "Do me a favor and unzip the dress?"

Maru nodded and walked over to her.

"So... Where did you get this dress?" Maru asked, "It's just... since when do you where things like this?"

"Romy?" Echo replied, hoping it sounded plausible.

"Uh uh. No way, she'd kill you and her clothes would never fit you this... well." Maru said, "Try again."

"I bought them." Echo said and Maru sighed.

"Fine, don't tell me but at least tell me why you're wearing it." Maru replied. 

Echo stare at Maru, wondering if she should bother trying to come up with something but in the end she nodded. She had to admit, it felt good to be able to confide in someone. 

"Lock the door and I'll explain. The last thing I need is anyone else seeing me like this." Echo said, trying to get the shoes off. Maru nodded, moving to the door and turning the lock. She turned, facing her sister and stared. She looked so different dressed up this way.

"I look ridiculous, don't I?" Echo asked, noting the look in her eyes. "I knew I couldn't pull this off. I tried to tell him."

"Not at all. It looks quite nice but... it's very different." Maru said watching her. "I think I could understand you trying to change your look a bit, maybe dress more feminine but this..."

"I know." Echo said, "I feel so out of place but I was in such a rush to get back and make sure I made it back before Mom and Dad started asking questions,that I didn't bother changing again."

"Well, they went out but I don't mind telling you that they did ask a lot of questions. Where were you?" Maru asked.

"North town." Echo said with a sigh and Maru's eyes widened.

"You went to go see him!!!" Maru said excitedly. "Is that why you did this?"

Echo struggled for a second, trying to get the shoes off and falling over. The straps were tricky...

"Here, I'll help." Maru said, moving towards her and flicking her hands away. "So?"

"So... I went to go see him and ask him what he was up to. I wanted him to promise me that he wasn't going to cause problems for mom and dad, and that he wouldn't mention me." Echo said softly. "I told him that there was nothing going on between us and that his business with my parents needed to stay professional."

"Okay, so how did you end up in this dress?" Maru asked.

"He wanted to have lunch with me." Echo said, rolling her eyes.