Part 56

"Come here, baby... good boy." 

Echo watched as Adelia threw another toy for Baby to fetch. Maru dropped him off yesterday and she was glad, having missed the small dog. She'd initially thought to bring him with her when she moved in but with everything going on and the wedding, Maru had volunteered to watch him until she was settled in. Adelia had instantly taken to the little guy, apparently, Luke had never liked the idea of having a pet before. 

She sighed as she thought of Luke, silently remembering the way he'd woken her that morning. No one told her that being married would be quite like this. Was every married couple like this or was Luke just a very passionate and affectionate man? She couldn't picture it. She couldn't picture another man who could stir up all the things he did in her. Without realizing she was doing it, she closed her eyes and traced her collar bone with her fingers, gently letting them glide back and forth across her shoulders, just the way Luke had that morning. 

She thought about his smile, that breathtaking smile he greeted her with as she work up, the way the back of his fingers traced against her skin, the tickle of his stubble against her chin and neck. She didn't even mind the scrape of his whiskers, there was something about it that made her toes curl. That morning, she spent a good half hour running her hands along his shoulders and down his back, kneading and pinching that the muscles, admiring his sinewy grace. Oh lord, he was a beautiful man, perfect despite every imperfection. That look in his eyes when he was going to make love to her, the one that made all words unnecessary, was everything. Just thinking of it made her thighs shiver and suddenly, it was warm... despite the cold chill of a winter morning. 

"You look happy." Marco said, approaching her from across the lawn. It was true, she did. He almost regretted having to interrupt her as she was obviously lost in some blissful day dream. She looked up, opening those pretty eyes and smiling as he grew closer. For a second he remembered Maru's eyes, the same doe like glance, and he wondered what their parents had done to create five such perfect daughters. Echo certainly looked beautiful, more every time he saw her and she looked particularly ethereal poised on the stone steps that lead onto the garden where Adelia once again threw a ball for the small dog. 

"It's a nice morning." Echo said, reaching over for a mug that sat next to her. She was growing used to Marco's visits, aware that he was checking in on her by Luke's orders. Usually, however, he came by in the afternoons so it was a surprise to see him here so early. She thought it was a bit much for him to come by every day, especially considering that there were two men on guard at the house almost constantly, but she didn't mind it. She liked Marco, could understand and see why Luke liked him so much, and she very much wanted to consider him a friend. 

"Hi Marco!" Adelia waived from across the lawn, turning back to the puppy. He waived as he sat down next to Echo. 

"I heard he finally moved in." Marco said, watching the small dog run around excitedly. 

"I'm so glad to have him, although I get the feeling Luke doesn't really love dogs." She said with some humor. 

"I've never seen him have any pets but it's not like he can object to one if he gave him to you." Marco said and Echo laughed. 

"No, you're right. I bet he's regretting that one." She said, thinking of the socks Baby had most recently ruined. 

"I think if you're happy that's more than enough for him." Marco said, making Echo blush. She thought so too if she was honest. Luke might not say it, maybe he didn't quite feel it. Echo did not expect Luke to fall as in love with her as she was falling in love with him. Still, he certainly showed her that he did care for her, and that was enough.