Part 72

"You know, I was thinking..." Marco said as he and Luke waited in the room, noting by the change in the lighting that it was night. "After this is over, I'd like to take some vacation time."

Luke chuckled. 

"Vacation time?" He asked.

"Yeah, I thought maybe I'd go visit my mother and sister in Palermo." Marco said with a sigh. "Maybe I could even stick around there for a while."

Luke was quiet. He hated to lose Marco but he could understand that he might need to get some space. 

"I don't think that should be a problem." Luke said, "If we get out of here, you're free to take the time you need."

"It's not like I have to stop working, there are some things that I could take care of over there and you can call me back if you need me." Marco said and Luke nodded. 

"That sounds like a nice idea." Luke said. "Maybe we could even go visit if we're in the area. I promised the Reids they could come visit my house in Italy."

"Oh boy." Marco said with a chuckle. "You got yourself one hell of a family in law." 

"I know." Luke said. "I'm so glad Echo has so many people who love her."

"So many sisters to cluck over her like mother hens." Marco said, "Even the little one, Maru seems to constantly be watching over her."

"Yeah." Luke said, "She needs them now more than ever."

"Are you going to tell me how it is you messed up?" Marco asked after a few minutes. 

"Tell you what- get us out of this alive and I'll let you buy me a drink as I tell you about it." Luke said. 

"Don't worry- your plan will work. We just have to wait now." Marco said. 

"Yeah, we he said a couple of hours but here we are, no sign of them yet." Luke said. "and honestly, I don't like the idea of leaving Echo for so long."

"That's smart." A voice interrupted them, making them roll their eyes. 

"Speaking of..." Marco muttered as Franco walked into the room. 

"I certainly wouldn't have left my new bride alone so much." Franco said with a sigh. 

"I wouldn't have had to if I didn't have to deal with so much trash." Luke replied. 

"Well, I have a surprise for you." Franco said with a bright smile, raising his hand. "I just didn't think it was fair for two newly weds to be separated."

Luke's eyes widened as Vic strolled in, followed by... Guzman? But then his eyes lowered to where Echo walked in, looking apprehensive. 

"Luke!" She called out as she saw him, moving to run but Guzman grabbed her arm and yanked her back roughly. "Shit. Careful."

Guzman tightened his grip on her arm, seemingly enjoying the way she squirmed as he did. It was obvious she was in pain, but she bit her lip. 

"Let her go, you son of a bitch." Luke called out angrily but Franco and Vic just laughed. 

"Guzman, you don't have to be so rough." Franco said as Guzman continued to drag Echo forward. 

Luke and Marco tensed, noting there were more men following, one which Luke remembered perfectly from the airport. 

"Let her go." Luke said, his eyes on Guzman. 

"We will, once you do what we ask." Vic said, circling Echo slowly.