Part 44

Nadia sat up in her bed, confused and dazed.  She leaned over, checking the time. It was after midnight and she had four missed calls and 12 texts. 

She heard the knocking again and groaned, throwing herself back against the pillows. Just ignore it, just ignore it. She pulled a pillow over her head, trying to drown out the sound of the knocking but the doorbell followed. She wasn't going to go away, after all- why shouldn't the world just roll over for her? Nadia sat up with a frown. That wasn't very kind. Grace was her friend, her best friend... her only friend. 

Looking back, Nadia couldn't remember any one else who had been there for her as much as Grace. She'd defended her when the other kids played mean pranks, she'd never let her sit alone when people avoided her. She'd told her that there was nothing wrong with being as tall as she was and she'd supported her decision to go to nursing school instead of letting her parents place her in a really good marriage. Of course, the moment that Nadia told her parents she didn't want to get married, they'd backed off. She was grateful that they were so supportive, not like with other girls in the family. 

If Nadia really thought about it, it was only natural that she was a little alienated. Everyone she went to school with knew who her family was, knew who her uncle was and as much as they liked to snicker and whisper behind her back, she knew some of it was because she made them uncomfortable. Nadia could say, in all honesty, that she was the most overly protected and spoiled girl in the family. 

She stood up, dragging her feet as she picked up her glasses from the nightstand. Grace wasn't going to go away, she probably wanted to hear about what happened. Nadia didn't pay much attention to the gossip but she knew that the news of her adventure would circulate fast. Nadia had never been taken before, she'd never really had any problems of the sort. It was the sort of thing that her parents had to explain to her and prepare her for but that, luckily, did not happen. She knew that was because people feared Luke. She supposed that was the silver lining to being the don's only girl cousin. 

"Grace... you can't keep doing this." Nadia said as she pulled the door open and leaned against it. 

"What are you talking about? If you had answered my calls, I wouldn't be here. It takes just a few seconds to answer a text. Do you know how worried I've been?" Grace asked, reaching out and pulling Nadia into her arms. 

"I'm sorry... I've just been tired." Nadia said, closing the door and inviting Grace in. "Coffee?"

"Yes, please." Grace said with a shake of her head. "How are you feeling?"

"Well, I'm a little..." Nadia began to say but Grace sighed. 

"I couldn't believe it when I heard. I was so worried. I haven't been able to focus on anything." Grace said dramatically. 

"I'm fine, it really wasn't a big deal." Nadia said. "We were rescued right away."

"Of course, Luke is so efficient." Grace said. "I swear, every day I discover more and more amazing qualities... I can't believe I didn't see it all before."

"Yes, Luke is great." Nadia said, "I'm really glad Marco was nearby or who knows what would have happened."

"I'm surprise Marco was around with a team and ready." Grace said. "Do they keep an escort on you?"

"No but I wouldn't be surprised if Luke tries to." Nadia said. 

"Then I wonder what they were all doing there... luck." Grace said, thinking about it. Nadia sighed. It had become obvious that Luke wasn't going to seek out Grace anymore. She was wasting her time, completely deluding herself.  She had lost, she never had a chance.