Part 22

"Where are we ?" Echo asked, noticing that they were on the opposite side of the city.

"There's a little restaurant I'd like to take you to." He said simply.

"Why didn't you just tell me that? We could have met there instead of leaving my car in that strange parking lot. This is the complete opposite side of the city from where you told me to meet you." She said.

"I wanted to save you part of the drive, besides, I left someone behind to keep an eye on it." He said casually but she stared at him suspiciously.

"You wanted to make sure I was dressed properly before being seen with me, didn't you?" She asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Did I neglect to tell you how good you look tonight?" He said, reaching out and placing a hand on her leg. "I like that dress."

"I'm sure whatever you brought along for me was nice too." She said, trying to ignore the hand.

"You can wear it next time." He said simply.

"Do you just have a collection of dresses in case the women you date need a hand?" She asked and he smiled at her.

"Are you jealous?" He asked, "Because I don't mind if you are, I wouldn't mind the attention at all."

"I am not jealous." she said, turning away from him and pushing his hand away but he placed it back firmly.

"In case you didn't notice, sweetheart, all of the things I give you are brand new. I would never make you wear something that I didn't pick out especially for you and I've never had to pick out clothes for a woman I date." He said. "You're adorable when you're jealous but you don't have to be."

"I already said I'm not jealous." she insisted but this time she didn't try pushing his hand off.

"We're here." He said as the SUV came to a halt. The door on his side was opened and he got out before extending his hand towards her.

With a sigh, she reached out and let him help her down, but when she would have let him go, he pulled her in close and surprised her with a quick peck on the lips.

"Come on." He said, giving her hand a squeeze before letting it go only to rest it on her waist as they made their way to the front entrance.

Echo followed along, much too concentrated on not falling on her face to complain about the contact. If anything, it was disturbing how very natural little things like this were beginning to feel.

"Mr. Farina, we have your table ready."

The words were said the moment they walked in and a tall, skinny waiter quickly led them to the back, where Luke immediately sat on the same side of the table as Echo.

"To drink?" The waiter asked.

"Bottle of wine and two waters please. And you can put in our food order. Get us my usual." He said, making her stare at him.

"What?" He asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Most people say please when they ask for things." She said.

"I'm sure they do." He said.

"Are you always going to order for me?" She asked, recalling he'd done the same at lunch.

"Have you ever been here before?" He asked, looking directly at her.

"No but..." She began but he cut her off.

"Exactly. Trust me, I know what's good." He said, "Now, let's not sit here and waste time arguing over trivial things when what I really want to do is tell you about all the fun things I'd like to do with you."