Part 25

"Hey Echo, get in here."

Echo walked down the stairs and immediately caught sight of George and Karen hanging out in the hall. She stood back for a bit, noting that they were frowning and she seemed to be scolding him for something. 

"Here you go." She heard her mother say and the two of them turned with a smile as if they hadn't been just arguing.

"Echo! Lena!" her mother called out and Echo turned behind her to find Lena coming out of her room, rolling her eyes as she did so.

"Hey, what are you lurking around for?" Lena said as she spotted her. "Don't tell me you can't stand her either?"

"She's nice enough I guess." Echo said.

"I can't believe we have to be her bridesmaids." Lena said, watching from the same spot Echo stood.

"I suppose some brides like to have their fiancee's sisters as bridesmaids." Echo said, wondering if Luke had any sisters. Then she shook her head, annoyed with herself for the thought.

"We're not his sisters." Lena said firmly with a frown. Echo turned to her.

"You've known George all your life- he might as well be another big brother." Echo said, thinking it was unlike Lena to be this cold about George. They had always welcomed him like part of the family.

"He's not." Lena insisted, staring down at him quietly.

"Well, I don't know about you but I want him to be happy." Echo said. "Don't you want him to be happy?"

Lena sighed.

"I do." She said.

"There they are..." Alice said with a smile as Lena stepped out from behind the wall with Echo a few steps behind. "Come on, we're all in the living room celebrating."

"Celebrating?" Lena asked.

"The new account." Echo said, moving past her into the living room.

"Oh? So you guys got it?" Lena said.

"Yes, we actually had lunch with him after." Michael said, "Even Echo joined us.""

"Wait, wait, wait... SO everyone but me got to meet him?" Maru asked, jumping up from the sofa. "That's not fair."

"Ughhh I didn't." Lena said.

"Us either." George said, looking at Lena who was now looking at the ground. Maru, on the other hand, was staring straight at Echo with a grin.

"He's very nice." Vera said.

"He's smart." Romy added, "Got to see the scar up close ."

"I swear it gives him a dangerous look." Vera said.

"I like it." Echo said, without meaning too, making everyone turn to her. "I mean, he stands out."

"Well, I suppose we'll be seeing more of him now." Michael said.

"Yeah, I have a meeting with him on Tuesday." George said, "Plenty of work to do."

"Let's toast." Alice said happily, handing Echo a glass and then turning to hand another to Lena.

"Wow, they're letting us drink." Lena said to Maru, pretending to be impressed.

"I know." Maru replied with a grin.

"This guy must be a bigger deal than we thought." Lena said and Maru once again glanced at Echo.

"I have a feeling he is." She said, making Echo bite her lips nervously.