Part 17

"I want everyone vigilant. No mistakes." Luke said, handing a few papers out the men who were all seated in his office. He looked to the door.

Marco had stepped out about twenty minutes ago after receiving an important call and still hadn't returned. There was still a lot to discuss, where the hell was he? It was getting late in day and everyone was so busy they hadn't even stopped for lunch.

"Can someone please go find Marco?" Luke asked impatiently, prompting one of the men by the door to step out.

"There's a lot more to do. I don't want to hear that we have that type of filth in the town either. I mean it." He said, having heard rumors that some of the drugs the Russo brothers had sold made it this far. 

"Excuse me, Mr. Farina." The man said, reappearing.

"Well, where is he?" Luke asked.

"He left." The man replied. 

"He what?" Luke asked. Where the fuck did he go?

"I was informed in the front that he left a while ago." The man said. Luke stared for a second, conscious of the ticking from the scar on his cheek.

"That's all for now." Luke said, his voice low. Everyone continued to stare... "Well, what are you just sitting there for? Get out of here."

The men scrambled up, darting for the door, knowing better than to get on his bad side. They could tell he was upset and the sooner they got away, the better. 

When they were gone, he picked up his phone and called. Marco had a lot of explaining to do...

"Hello." Marco's voice came through low.

"Care to tell me just where the hell you are?" Luke said, raising his voice.

"Actually, I'm at your place." Marco said, sounding cool as a cucumber.

"What the hell are you doing there?" Luke asked.

"There's someone here to see you." Marco replied. Luke was quiet, a smile forming on his face as he realized who it would be.

"I'm on my way." He said, hanging up the phone. He hadn't expected her to come by so quickly, he'd only seen her parents early that morning. He glanced at the clock, nearly three. She must have driven here in a fury. He could imagine how mad she'd be, she'd be seething but he'd calm her down.  

"He's on his way." Marco said, looking at Echo, who was pacing back and forth. When he arrived to Luke's house, it was to find that she'd already put back in this room and she was ready to commit bloody murder.  He watched her, looking like a caged animal, ready to pounce. 

She was mad, of course she was mad but more than anything, she was stressed. Something about Luke spending time with her family made her uneasy. She felt the churning in her stomach, she was queasy and it wasn't just because she'd skipped lunch. She looked at Marco, checking the time again. How in the world did she end up back in this room?

"We can wait for him in the living room." Echo said, trying to be calm.

"You'll be more comfortable in here." Marco said.

"Do you think I'm going to run off? I came here on my own." Echo replied.

"Just being careful." Marco said.

"Right." Echo replied, rolling her eyes. She paced around the room a bit more, noting how Marco stared at her.

"Is there something on my face?" She asked and Marco smiled.

"No, I'm just doing my job." He said. 

"Making sure I don't escape?" She asked.

"From where, you're not my prisoner." Luke said, appearing at the doorway. How'd he get here so fast?