Part 52

"I'm so glad you are all here." Luke said with a smile, placing a hand on the small of Echo's back and gently guiding her along.

He'd surprised her lately, keeping his distance. She was so used to him being so affectionate, always reaching for her, always trying to hold her but for the last several weeks, he'd almost seemed to be avoiding her. It worried her. She'd stayed up tossing and turning more than once, wondering if she'd done something, wondering if maybe he'd changed his mind. 

He used to show up randomly while she was sitting with Nadia, he used to ask her to stay behind and have dinner with him, but in the last few weeks... she'd only seen him once. Now it seemed that he almost regretted having to touch her. 

"Thank you." Alice said graciously as they entered the restaurant waiting area. The weather forecast hadn't been wrong- no rain, no snow but it was very cold. 

While the family was all staying in Luke's home, the house was currently buzzing with staff setting up for the big day. So, the family was now gathered at the nicest restaurant in North Town and Luke had it closed for their private use. 

"It's my pleasure. The house is absolutely hectic at the moment, I hope you'll be able to visit and see when things are more calm." Luke said. 

"It's a beautiful house." Maru said, her eyes glittering with excitement. The truth was that everything about North Town had a certain charm for her. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, there was something strange  about this place, but it thrilled her.  

"It really is." Vera added, thinking of the large 8 bedroom home that sat prettily on an acre of endless green. It was impressive in a very different way than their own home. While their house was bigger, Luke's exuded a different type of elegance. It was reminiscent of an Italian country home, telling of Luke's life and family and covered in photos of his parents and sister. It was also a bit of a maze... confusing with its multiple corridors. 

But what really confused her was the number of men she'd seen roaming the grounds. Her family had never kept any type of security on their property, not more than an alarm system, but Luke appeared to have several guards making rounds. She wondered if this was because of the wedding, or if in general Luke kept security on staff. 

"Is it just you and Adelia in the house?" Michael asked. 

"And Echo." Adelia added with a grin. She'd been home for less than a week for winter break and was excited for it. Luke had entrusted her with the task of helping Echo adjust to the every day routine, and Adelia was proud to do so. She'd fallen instantly in love with her and her big family, thinking it was a pity that she couldn't be the one joining it. She looked now to Echo's brother, Ben- handsome and funny- a girl could really fall in love with a man like that. 

"maybe even a few grand babies." Karen volunteered, making Echo immediately blush and raucous laughter break out. 

"Please, you're making her blush." Romy said calmly. "It's not good to upset the bride the night before the wedding."

Echo, however, wasn't paying much attention to the chatter. She was too busy watching Luke, who was sitting on her right and talking brightly to her parents. He'd hardly turned to glance at her at all. In fact, he hadn't spoken to her at all... it was almost like he was ignoring her. Could it be he'd changed his mind?

She shouldn't be surprised, after all, she was just Echo. Sure, he'd seemed impressed because she'd had the nerve to argue with him, because she'd refuse to just accept whatever he told her too- but was that enough? Echo despaired. She searched her mind frantically, trying to find a good, valid reason for him to want her... what if it was all over?