Chapter 8: The Quest

It was Friday, and all of our class were cancelled. This due to an event that were held by our school, "The Quest". The school had organized the event in order to select a group of students to represent the school in competing with the other schools in province level.

The event was held in the school's hall. Each class will send their representative in a group of three. I could say that the requirements to represent each class was quite high, which was the representative must ranked in the first, second and third in their class.

I wanted to go home instead of watching the competition. I had a lot of works to do. Besides, my heart was still hurting. I don't want to be engaged with anybody on that time.

But there I were, sitting on one of the empty chairs in the hall, waiting for the appearance of the person that I had started to fall for. The one and only Shin Ryujin. Yes, she was the top in our batch. She ranked first not only in her class, but in our batch. And she joined this competition. She had healed after the accident. And actually, the she didn't being injured that badly.

THROWBACK TO THREE MONTHS BEFORE, DURING RYUJIN'S ACCIDENT

Yuna, Chaeryeong and Lia were crying messes because they didn't know on Ryujin's state. When the three of us which were me, Minnie and Soyeon arrived the hospital, we were shocked to see Ryujin laughing hysterically towards the three of her beloved persons who were still sobbing beside her hospital bed.

Yuna were punching her chest as hard as she could. Ryujin chuckled while eyeing her tall baby being a crying mess.

"Shin Yuna. I am going to be badly injured if you continue to hit me."

"Serves you right! You should have died in the accident!" Chaeryeong smacked Ryujin's head by using a bottle that was on the table beside her.

"Stop it, Lee! It hurts." Ryujin covered her head by using her free hand.

Apparently, her left hand was bandaged, and there was a cast on her right leg. Her right leg was broken.

"SHIN RYUJIN!" Minnie ran to her and hugged her tightly.

Ryujin's eyes widened, not expecting for her name to be yelled that loudly. Me and Soyeon facepalmed upon noticing that there were a few eyes that were glaring at Minnie.

"I thought you have died. Yuna called me and said you were hit by a lorry. She said you were in the operation theatre, and you maybe couldn't make it. You could leave us." And now, Minnie was the one who was being a crying mess.

Ryujin reciprocated her hug and smiled widely, exposing her whiskers.

'I miss her whiskers.'

"I am okay, Minnie. Don't be sad, babygirl." Ryujin patted Minnie's head. My heart sunk upon hearing that endearment. This was the second time I heard her called Minnie baby girl.

Soyeon pulled my hand to be nearer with them.

"Hello, the great Shin." Soyeon waved at Ryujin.

Ryujin turned her head towards us, and she smiled. But the smile was not for me. It was for Soyeon. They did their brofist. Ryujin then nodded at me, acknowledging my presence there.

Being relieved was not the right phrase to use. Yes, I was relieved that she was not badly injured. But her treatments towards me was still the same as before.

"Glad to see that you are okay." I initiated the conversation. I need to hear her voice again. I missed to have a chat with her.

"Yeah, thanks." she nodded awkwardly. I hate this situation I really hate it. But again, who am I to have such feelings?

We then chatted for a good hour. My bad, it was not we, but they. They were having a good time by themselves. The others tried to include me in their conversation, but not Ryujin.

'You are hurting me pretty badly, Ryujin.' I wanted to cry, but I composed myself. This is not the right place and time to be a cry baby.

When the visiting hours had ended, we said our goodbyes. I was the last one to leave the room.

"Yeji." I turned my head really fast as soon as I heard her calling my name.

"Yes?" I asked her with some hopes to hear any sweet things from her.

"Thank you for visiting. I appreciate it." and with that, she buried herself under the blanket.

Even though I was a bit disappointed, but I smiled. She talked to me. Yes, she finally talked to me after a month of avoiding me.

BACK TO THE PRESENT, IN THE SCHOOL'S HALL

Yes, I was here to see her. And it had been two months since the accident occurred. After a few rounds, Ryujin's group was able to enter into the finals. She is really a brilliant person. I adored her very much.

"What is the principle that is used by the scientists to make sure that the aeroplane could fly and did not do any damage to its body?"

"Boyle's Principle." I furrowed my forehead upon hearing Ryujin's answer.

"What is the definition of Hooke's Law?"

"A law of a hook." Ryujin answered the question while laughing. She even makes a high five with Lia and Shuhua, who was together with her to represent their class when the teacher said that their answer was wrong.

"How the AC works in a circuit?"

"Turning on the air conditioner." Lia answered while smiling sheepishly.

Upon hearing Lia joining Ryujin to their wrong answer parade, I knew that they didn't want to represent the school in the competition.

"Give me the history of the Newton's First Law."

"Newton ate an apple while reading law books." I facepalmed myself upon hearing Shuhua's answer.

They were playing with the teachers. Minnie and Soyeon had already cracking up beside me.

"They are really crackheads." Minnie said while hitting my shoulder repeatedly. That was her habit when she was laughing really hard.

"A bunch of smart crackheads." Soyeon added while wiping the tears that had formed as she laughed really hard.

"Okay for the last question of the day. Ryujin, Lia and Shuhua. Do you still want to represent the school in this competition?"

"NO." the three of them answered simultaneously and had made all of the people in the hall laughed upon hearing their answer.