Chapter 16: Fight With The Teacher

On Monday, during the flag ceremony, Ryujin lined up in my class's row. She stood just behind me. How did I know about it? Her perfume. Her sweet vanilla perfume caught my attention. Of course, it's against the rules. For me, it really didn't matter, because I actually like being close to my Ryuddaeng, but not for a teacher named Sang Min, or also could be addressed as Mr. Lee.

Sure enough, as soon as the principal was giving a speech, Mr Lee came to admonish her. Without a word, Mr Lee tugged at the back of Ryujin's shirt. He intended to pull Ryujin out of my class row. What Mr Lee did make Ryujin nearly fall on her feet as he dragged her harshly.

"What is this?" Ryujin tried to escape herself from being dragged by Mr Lee.

"Why? Do you want to fight with me?" I am shocked to hear what Mr Lee had said to Ryujin.

'Is he really a teacher? His actions are more likely comes from a thug.'

"Yes! I could fight if you wanted it to happen!" Ryujin shouted and that was loud enough, to make everyone turn towards us.

The headmaster also stopped from giving his speech. The square turned silent, watching Mr Lee and Ryujin's staring contest, not until when suddenly Mr Lee slapped Ryujin as hard as he could. I was shocked to see Ryujin fell from the slap.

I tried to help her from the fell but was stopped on my track as soon as she stood up and slapped Mr Lee back. The square was dead silent, watching nervously on what was happening on that morning.

"Oh my God Ryujin what had you done?!" I whispered to myself, earning a comforting rub on my back from Chaeryeong.

Before Mr Lee's hand reached her cheeks again, Ryujin hurriedly hit him with successive punches. The atmosphere got noisy. The lines fell apart, especially my classmates because each one of them avoided themselves from taking any stray hits. Everyone wants to watch the commotion. The flag ceremony automatically went awry.

I saw Mr Lee ran towards the centre of the ceremony field. Ryujin chased him with blaring eyes. There was roughly three meters between the two.

I saw Mr Lee fell near the small building where the flagpole was. He crawled for a while, then ran back. Ryujin continued to chase him who was trying to sneak between the lines of teachers who were in awe.

"Shin Ryujin, stop it!!" the headmaster shouted over the microphone.

There was a frenzy among the flag ceremony participants. Several male teachers tried to hold Ryujin in. The headmaster also stepped down from his rostrum.

"Sang Min! You coward!"

I saw Chaeryeong, Lia, Changbin and several others on the run, to help the teacher to restrain Ryujin from chasing over Mr Lee. I wish that I could help Ryujin to calm down from her raging state. But all I could do was standing there, staring at the angry and mad Ryujin. That was the day when I first saw her being very angry.

I totally understood, because I was angry too, but not to Ryujin. I'm angry with Mr Lee. You have to see by yourself, how rude was he to Ryujin.

Ryujin just kept quiet, listening to Chaeryeong and Lia's words.

"You should go to her." I turned to my left. Heejin was smiling at me.

"I don't think that she wanted to see me right now." I shook my head.

"She needs you now, Yeji. Ryuddaeng needs her Yeddeong." Heejin tapped my shoulder and motioned me to go in front and join them in calming Ryujin.

"Wish me luck, then!" I smiled to her after thinking for a few seconds.