17

-She did what? Is that true? Come on
- I don't know what to say.
- Ok. What now?
- Now I got to go back and Ava stays with Courtney.
- and Tim?
- Tim's been moved to psychiatric wing and is all tied up on strong meds..Nobody is gonna tell me anything. Thanks to your contacts I was able to see him but he's doped with diazepam. Not much contact. He probably realizes what going on as he reacts to my presence.
-likehow?
- tears. I see his tears. And he nods. I guess he lost the will od life. Alex what shall I do?
- let me organize things and I'll get the earlier flight than IT was supposed. Meanwhile could you just go and talk to her?
-yes. i'll be waiting for your call.

-LT Caine?
-Mrs Walsh? He approached her in front of the building. Are you waiting for me?
-Yes. Can we talk? Somewhere private?
-In my office?
-No, can IT be somewhere out of work?-he nodded without a Word and Opened his car door for her. 
They sat in the quiet part of coffee Garden
-What's wrong?
Andre faught with tiredness.
-We have a problem. Tim was moved to a psychiatric ward because my sister in law reported him to the doctor.
-She did what?
-She told the doctor he was overdosing drugs and threatening her he Will kill himself or hurt Courtney or the baby. That he was unstable, used violence on them, also self harming....
Horatio look at her carefully.
-How do you know all that.
-My husband pulled some strings. That was the only way to get to know anything. Or to see him.
-How's he?
-He's tied to the bed, dosed with strony medications. Obviously shocked. .my husbanf told me to talk to her until hes flying here but I dont know what to tell her, how to talk to her... I vould kill her with bare hands.
As Horatio said nothing Andre continued ... Why did she do IT?
-I dont know
-Does she want to destroy him? Why is się lying?
-Do you want me to accompany you?
-Yes. Is that possible?
-Lets go.
They drove in silence. Opening the door of the apartament she saw Courtney reading the paper, and Ava sleeping in her cot.
-Morning Courtney.
:Horatio? Hi. I didnt expect you here.
-He came with me- Andre said- I guess we need to talk.
-Then...talk. what's up?
-I was at hospital. I know Tims been moved to a closed ward and I also know why. Why did you do that??¡!!
Courtney was silent and then said -because its true. We will be better without him.
-What??? ! Hes closed there because you chose to lie?
-Im not lying. Horatio???
-Courtney...I dont think it's true. Yes Tim is hot tempered, but I never saw him aggressive towards you, and never to a baby. Never. Never Heard of any bad thought. I dont know what to say
-But you know i dont lie about his self harming, do you?
Andre chuckled and looked at him awaiting another sentence.
-I do, Courtney.
-What??!? What are you saying LT?
-Oh yes, he used to do that. The tone of Courtneys voice was awful.
-You surely remember his hurt hands Boss, all bloodied.  Torn skin on his knuckles. Plasters...right? You put one or two yourself, didnt you?
She triumphed.
-I did, but that was different.
Andre suddenly felt like losing floor under her feet.What the hell was going on?
-Lt... Is that tru?
-Yes Mrs Walsh. Speed tended to do that. IT was sth he used to do since he was young. He was always ashamed of IT but it helped him in some way he said.  He never hurt anyone but himself, but its a sign of internal problem. However Courtney I dont believe in any other Word you say. Nor the one about him hurting you or the baby , threatening you both, not even mention the sex offence.
Sorry Courtney, but this doesnt come close to any truth.
-You dont know him at all.
-No - I know him perfectly well, for decades. I cannot agree on that, on what you say.
-Did you stop loving him? Andre interferred.
-What?
-I asked you a question.
-And I dont have to answer
-Oh - You DO have to , lady. You owe me hell of a lot. So now youre gonna tell me everything as I was taking care of you, your husband and your v
Baby.. -Andre was shouting almost histerically
Courtney saw that with mixed feeling.
-I do not have to explain.  Nobody every believes the victim.

-Did he hurt you physically?
-Yes, mamy times.
-Proof? Any obductions? Doctors visits? Any wiynesses of the ongoing process of humiliation he served you?
Courtney got quiet