One.

Ellie Taylor POV

It's been four long years since I left college to move to California. Let me tell you, it's been a ride. I hit a few bumps working with Kace Cohen, my idol in the tattoo world but I also overcame and grew so much as a person. Through therapy and doing what I love.

It wasn't easy getting over that heartache; that painful burn in my chest overtook me at one point. It ran through my veins, concurring my mind and dragging it through, what felt like, the depths of hell.

I climbed up the walls and can honestly say, I'm okay. Even if Maddox never called me three years later. Even if I left the entirety of my friends and family - I'm okay.

Most of them moved to New York City. Lexi and Jacob were offered nice jobs after getting married. Sam became apart of the NYFD as a paramedic. It seemed everyone grew, not just me.

And I was proud of every single one of them.

"Ellie." Chris mumbled into my bare back. His deep, sleepy voice vibrating my soft skin until my eyes were easing open.

"Sleep." I murmured back. There's no way it was time for us to open the tattoo shop. The darkness still overtook my room and the sandman still staked claim on me.

I wasn't ready.

"Phone." He groaned as we primitively spoke in one worded sentences.

Like we did every morning he stayed over.

I rubbed my tired eyes as my hand reached around searching for that dreaded ringtone.

"Hello?" I croaked out with a cough as I snuggled into Chris' warm chest, hoping the person on the other end would just hang up and let me sleep.

"Ellie." Lexi's sob hit my body like a bucket of ice. Instantly alarming my internal clock.

"Lexi. What's wrong?" I shot up, accidentally smacking Chris in the face earning a spur of obscenities.

She couldn't even answer through her loud sobs.

My heart ached as I spoke softly to her. Trying to ease any information out of her that I could. My body was on autopilot, throwing on clothes as if she was close enough for me to walk to.

Even if I would walk to her, this seemed too urgent to take that kind of time.

"My-my mom." She sobbed louder, the phone shook and crackled as she handed it off. Her cries echoing in the background.

"Hey, Ellie." Jacobs voice was tired, straining as if he were crying the same as his Wife.

"What's going on, Jacob?" I snapped, not ready for this type of emotional turmoil so early in the morning. My mind was half asleep, swirling down a toilet of horrible possibilities. Jacob didn't say anything. "You know it's like three am here. Spit it out."

"Fuck, I forgot about the time difference." I could hear Lexi wail loudly and dramatically in the background.

My heart ached that I just added to her worries.

Jacob sighed, "Annabelle had a stroke. We just got the call a few minutes ago. She's in the hospital."

I grasped my chest. My only motherly figure in my life. The one who got me a job at a tiny coffee shop and somehow managed to get me to California without even trying. A woman who was loving and caring towards me when I had no other adult besides my Dad.

"What do you need me to do?" I asked, not beating around the bush.

"I know we're asking a lot but," he huffed, "We need to fly out there. Would you come watch Annelia? I don't know how long we'll be in Florida but Lexi doesn't trust anyone but you with her. I tried getting a babysitter but Lexi almost ripped my head off."

"We are not allowing a stranger to watch our child!" She screeched in the background.

"I know, baby. I know. I'm just telling Ellie we aren't." Jacob cooed to her. Then whispered to me, "Please, help me. I'm scared for my life. Everything I say is wrong. I don't know what to do right now that doesn't consist on me hiding in the basement."

I closed my eyes tight in an attempt to overcome my crippling fear of going there. Knowing who was there. I had only visited New York once. Lexi, her family and Sam always came to me. At my expense of course. I loved them, they are my family. We had to stay in touch and I made sure we stayed as close friends. But the thought of going to New York gave me anxiety. The hollow chest pumping kind thinking of bumping into the man who broke my heart.

"Of course. She's my fucking goddaughter. Why wouldn't I?" I snapped, not with anger towards Jacob, just thinking about him makes me upset. "Sorry. Just let me figure things out on my end. I need to get a plane ticket, set up coverage at the shop. But I'm coming. Do you think Lexi can wait?"

I could hear Jacob murmuring to his wife, in such a soft gentle tone that it made my chest throb for their love.

"Lexi is going to fly down. I'll wait for you here." Jacob announced.

"Tell Lexi I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for Annabelle, okay? And I'll text you. Just keep me updated. Please!"

Jacob agreed and hung up. I was already packing my bag by the time Chris dragged himself out of bed.

"What's going on?" He asked, adjusting his boxers as he sat on the edge of my bed.

I shuffled through my drawers trying to find warm outfits for New York. "Lexi's Mom had a stroke. They need me to watch Annie. Can you take over the clients at the shop for me?"

I could hear the shuffle of his feet behind me until his chest was pressed against my back and his arms around my waist. "Of course." He whispered.

My already weak stomach turned to a fluttering mess when he placed his lips to my neck softly.

"Do you want me to come?"

I shook my head. I knew why he was asking. He always saw how anxious and teary eyed I'd get when I thought about crossing paths with a man I never wanted to see again. He'd have to talk me off the ledge of emotions and coax me to solid ground of sanity every time.

He was the only one that I would let see me like that. Everyone else thought I was fine. That everything that has happened to me didn't affect me anymore.

But that was lies.

"No, I'll be okay." I hushed, lying to myself in hopes it'd be true.

"I'll order the plane ticket while you pack, okay?"

I numbly nodded, only causing Chris to turn me to face him gently. With both hands on the side of my face. His blue orbs scanned mine like a mind reader.

"Ellie, talk it out. Just like the therapist taught you." Chris smiled softly, his eyes narrowing just a bit with that action, knowing how far I had come with myself.

"Annabelle was like a mom to me and I'm scared I'll run into Maddox. I thought I was over that but I guess not." I admitted, feeling a pit in my stomach.

"That's okay, babe. We've talked about this. If you do bump into him, you do what you feel is right." Chris spoke tenderly ensuring every word that he said, he meant. "For me, I'd probably push him into oncoming traffic but."

I giggled lightly with a shake of my head. "What would I have done if I didn't have you these past four years?"

He kissed the top of my head softly, lingering for a while. The thought of us not being together anymore circled in the air, just like the last time I left.

"Let me get that ticket going." He sighed deeply, leaving me alone with my own torturous thoughts.