Twenty Nine.

Hearing my mother's voice in Max's office made me feel physically sick. Every part of me wanted to throw up the sandwich he had given me earlier.

"Rayna, it's not up to me if Ellie doesn't want to reach out." Max sighed out. "Listen, I have a lot of work to do and I really just want to get home. I'm sorry for what my mother did and all but I had no part of it."

"I understand." My mother's voice cracked, letting me know her cheeks were stained with tears even if I couldn't see her. "I'm sorry for bringing this to your place of work, Maddox."

"Take care." Max tried to sound apologetic as well but it came off as annoyed.

I quickly and quietly pulled Dixie into an empty room where we hid as my mother passed us.

I thought I was in the clear before I heard another woman speak. This time, it was my best friend.

"Max." Lexi grumbled, "When the fuck were you going to tell me Ellie's pregnant?"

"We didn't plan on telling anyone for a few months, Lexi. Stop thinking this is my doing just because I'm pissed at you and Sam." Max snapped with evident frustration. "And why the fuck would you bring her mother here?"

I held Dixie's leash until my fingers turned white.

"Her Dad asked me to. I guess Rayna has been persistent about bonding with Ellie since Thanksgiving." Lexi huffed. "I miss her, Max. Annelia misses her. She won't pick up my calls, she ignores my texts. I need my best friend back."

I could feel the guilt roaming in my heart, taking each piece of self restraint I had to jump into that room and hug her because truth is, I missed her too.

"I'll talk to her again. Okay? That's all I can do. I'm not forcing her to do anything. She's mad, let her get over it when she wants to." Max grumbled.

"Call her. Now." Lexi demanded. "This is your fault anyways. Had you not broke her heart in the first place, I wouldn't have felt the need to protect her. You don't understand how bad it was, Maddox and how scared we were she was going to do something stupid across the continent where no one but fucking Chris could help her."

Max paused for a while. The only sound of papers shuffling around filled the tense air.

"I thought Chris was a big help?"

"Oh, please. Chris was only a big help because I called him every week to tell him what to do. Even if I wasn't in California, I made sure she was okay. That she had a support system and therapy set up. Chris is as hopeless as every other guy out there. Including you. Now, call Ellie so I can explain. Please."

I didn't hesitate before walking into his office. For a moment, they didn't even realize I was there and no words would come out of my lips. None that sounded happy in the least.

Finally, Max looked up from his work. His face softening then quickly contorting into worry.

"Ellie, I told you not to walk alone." He sighed.

Then Lexi turned around. Her eyes taking in my stiff stance.

"You've been ignoring me." Lexi stated with a frown.

"I didn't want to yell at you while you were in the hospital with Annabelle." I admitted, taking a step closer to her until my arms were wrapped around her neck. Lexi hugged me back tightly with a deep exhale.

"Gosh, I've missed you." She whispered. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you or our friendship."

"Why wouldn't you tell me that Max was trying to get a hold of me? You let me live for years thinking he wanted nothing to do with me."