Thirteen.

Saying goodbye to Max was the hardest. We stood in the middle of the airport, not caring if we were blocking anyone's way while we hugged and kissed.

My heart twisted when I left him. Even though he promised to stay in touch and visit this weekend. Which was only a few days away.

It gave me enough time to tidy up my apartment and maybe finally do laundry before he comes.

The whole plane ride back to California and then Uber to the tattoo shop, all I could think about was seeing him again.

It wasn't until I was hugging Chris that I realized how sad I had gotten in the absence of Max. And how much his touch affected me.

"How was it?" Chris asked as he took my bag from my hands. His blue eyes scanned me. "What's wrong?"

I just simply shook my head and walked to my drawing area where my pencils and sketches sat neatly placed.

"Chelsea will be here soon. I have to finish up the design she asked for." I spoke softly as I began etching into the paper.

Chris huffed from behind me. "You miss him don't you?"

I rolled my eyes and turned my back to him. I didn't want to have this conversation yet.

"Why did you leave New York if you want to be with him?"

"Because I want to see if he's bluffing." I mumbled with my face stuffed into my desk, carefully drawing the feathers onto the paper. "I want to know if he'll actually continue to try. I want him to call me or visit like he promised. I want to know I could trust him again to not hurt me."

The bell to the front rang, notifying that someone had entered the shop. I quickly took a few deep breathes while Chris went to go see who it was.

I needed to calm down. My emotions couldn't get out of control again; I can't be sad or anxious waiting for his call like I had done before.

"Ellie," Chris smiley spoke from behind me. "This is Chelsea Yun."

I quickly turned to see a skinny blonde. Her brown eyes narrowed as her plump lips curved upwards, exposing perfectly aligned white teeth.

"Hey, Chelsea." I smiled, extending my hand to her.

Chelsea reached back eagerly with her manicured nails and pulled my body to a stand. I stumbled for a minute, even with her arms wrapped around me, from her surprise strength.

She's so tiny, how could she yank me around like that?

"It's so nice to meet you, Ellie Taylor." She rocked our bodies a few times before letting me step back.

"You as well. I finished up the basic design. Want to see it?" I asked, pulling at the paper that sat on my desk.

Chelsea smiled as she traced the lines of the angel wings with her finger. "I love it. Will the wings be this big?"

"Can I see your back?"

She quickly took off her top, leaving her completely shirtless to Chris and I.

"Not to be weird but I googled your height." I sighed. That definitely sounded fucking creepy as hell. "I think these would be a good size. It'll take up most of your back. That's what you were looking for, right?"

Chelsea agreed and laid on the table face down while I stuck the stencil to her back, leaving my artwork temporarily etched to her skin.

"Ready?" I asked as I dipped the needle head into the black ink.

"Go for it, babes." Chelsea relaxed into the chair. All was silent for a few minutes except the rhythmic buzz of the needle gun. Suddenly my mind was at ease as I leaned into her skin and buzzed away.

Chris put on my alternative rock station I always listen to and sat with us. The small talk was great between all of us. We laughed and sang along to the music, talking about nothing and everything all at the same time.

Chelsea had a personality which was great. Thank god. She wanted such a huge design, I knew it would take hours, if not multiple sessions. So, her being funny and real was a relief.

"What made you ask for me?" I asked Chelsea, insanely curious.

"You tattooed my friend, Shane."

"Ohh, that dope skull with the war bonnet. Yeah, that was a cool tattoo design he brought in." I hummed, thinking about it.

"Then I heard through the grapevine you were opening your own shop, so I wanted to get your work done before you left Cali." She added with a roll of her hand.

"Yeah, I'm hoping to open in New York."

"Of course you are." Chris laughed, sipping a beer. "You have to tell me. Did you guys fuck?"

My cheeks brightened as Chelsea peered back to me. "Chris, not while I have a client."

"I'm sure Chelsea won't mind hearing the gossip about your estranged lover. Plus, I'm dying to hear about his penis. Is he circumcised?" Chris smirked, knowing I couldn't curse him out in front of our company.

"Oh my god, Chris. Alright, fine. Yes. Max and I had sex." I grumbled, leaning away from Chelsea. "It was fucking amazing. I just, I mean, no offense our sex was great too."

Chris waved me off as if saying it's fine. "It's different when it's with someone you love."

Chelsea looked between us with her brows furrowed. "You guys have sex but you're having sex with a lover?"

"Ellie and I are just friends with benefits sorta. Well, we were." Chris eyed me as I nodded in agreement.

We definitely were. Past tense.

"Tell me about this Max character." Chelsea smiled to me before placing her head back onto the chair.

"Omg, he's like a doctor now. And when I first met him I thought he was just the hottest guy ever. He swept me off my feet like Prince Charming and I'm his Cinderella." Chris mimicked me in a high pitch voice, cradling his hands to the side of his face.

"Oh my god." I laughed with a shake of my head but I couldn't help the smile that laced my lips. "Go away, Chris."

"Ahh, saved by the bell." Chris laughed as he ran to the front to get the phone.

"So if you're back with Max does that make Chris single?" Chelsea asked.

"Chris has always been single. He could do what or whoever he pleases." I sighed into her back. "And I'm not back with Max. He still needs to prove himself and even then, I don't know if it'll work. Sorry, I feel like I should be more professional right now."

"No, it's okay, babes. Is he the reason you're hoping to open your shop in New York City?"

"Yeah but it's expensive out there. I looked at buildings for sale and they're way out of my price range for at least a few years. Plus, it'll be up to Kace since I'm branching off of his shop."

"You could rent a place. It won't be cheaper in the long run but it'll get you out there." Chelsea spoke softly, grimacing slightly as I started tattooing closer to her spine.

"Hey, Ellie." Chris huffed, peeking his head around the wall. "I gotta run out for a bit. Will you be okay until my Dad comes?"

I gave a small nod, humming to Dani California.

"This is going to take a while. Let me know if you want to stop." I reminded Chelsea who just seemed so content in the chair.