Thirty.

Maddox POV

I sighed as I watched Ellie leave the office with Dixie and Lexi. Tonight's been one of those days that, I swear, every woman is out to get me. And all I wanted to do was finish up my work so I could go home and cuddle with Ellie.

That's all I wanted.

And it was so close to happening until my mother walked in.

Dear God, I don't know what I did to make you hate me today.

"You're having a child." My mother stated, her tone unwavering from the always disappointed one she had.

"Yes." I answered, unmoved by her voice. It was one I had gotten so used to over the years. "And you won't have any part of it. I tried to get us all together for Thanksgiving and you went and did everything you possibly could to ruin that. You've ruined not only your relationship with your only son but also your grandchild's."

The air was tense as she stared at me with hate in her eyes.

"You can't do that, Maddox." She snapped.

"I can and will. What did you even want to achieve at bringing Olivia to dinner? Was your hope that I'd see her and leave Ellie? Even after she broke my heart? Even after she cheated on me? How can you even call her family?"

"Maddox." She started but I cut her off.

"Then, you invite her mother knowing she had never been in her life. I don't understand what you were thinking or if you even were at all."

"Now, you listen to me, Maddox. You have no right to question my morals. Olivia was and still is like family to me. I knew her mother and was good friends with her before she passed and you two got together. I may have not handled the situation well but she has no one out here. I know I raised you better than to leave someone on the streets. And as for Rayna, I reached out for the sheer fact that Ellie would be better off with her mother in her life. I saw the way she spoke about her, every little girl wants their mother. It could have all been handled better, yes, I agree with you. But don't tell me that one little dinner has exiled me from your life."

Without hesitation I answered, "it has. Now, please leave. I have work to finish so I could go home."

"Maddox James Bouchard!" Her voice rose as she approached my desk with her arms crossed.

It took every bone in my body to ignore her challenging tone and continue doing my work.

I just want to go home.

"Yes, Mother?" I answered back sarcastically with a raised brow.

She paused and scrunched her face up to me. "Had I known she was pregnant I would have never treated her like that. I still would have invited Olivia and Rayna but I would have told you they were coming." Her voice lowered with defeat.

"Not good enough." I huffed. "You put your own happiness and entertainment into your children's misfortune. Hell, even Skylar wants nothing to do with you. If you want to be apart of mine, Ellie's and our child's life, I'm going to need more than a half hearted apology."

My mother's shoulder slumped as she walked to the other side of my desk where she sat in a chair. She leaned her face into her palm with a groan.

"I'm an overbearing and controlling mother. I want the best for my children. I may have a strange way of doing that and I apologize. What do I need to do for you to forgive me?" Her tone dwindled from the stern, disapproving one, turning into a plea.

Her question set me back. She was never one to ask for forgiveness or fight for it.

"If your sudden change in demeanor is so you could be apart of my child's life then Ellie needs to forgive you as well. As for me, I want you to accept my relationship with Ellie and stop trying to force us apart. It's simple, take a step back and get to know her."

My mother's eyes lit up with a sense of hope to fix her own mistakes. "Is that all?"

I shook my head no. "I'd also like you to do the same for Skylar."

My mother groaned. "Her boyfriend is a good for nothing guitarist that makes money by playing at bars. How am I supposed to be supportive of that?"

I raised my brow at her lack of understanding of love. How her and my father have a loving marriage is beyond me. "Xavier is her boyfriends name and he doesn't just play at bars. He writes music for celebrities. Just because he doesn't play in a symphony doesn't mean he isn't talented. Plus your daughter loves him."

My mother stood slowly and placed a hand to my shoulder.

"I may have raised you in ways you disapprove of but I'm very proud of the man you've become." She said softly and paused for a moment in hopes I'd respond but I had nothing more to say.

"What does Ellie enjoy doing?" She asked as she began walking away.

"Well, the sign is being put up at her tattoo shop tomorrow if you'd like to stop by. If not, she likes everything. She's a very sweet, go with the flow woman, mom."

She nodded as if debating my words. "How's the pregnancy going for her?"

I shook my head and started to clean up my desk. "The doctor thinks she may have preeclampsia but it could have just been the stress you put her through." I couldn't help the snark in my words.

"No more stress, understood, Maddox." She nodded. "I look forward to gaining your and Ellie's trust back."

I felt a little hope that she'd be able to do it. No matter what type of person she was, I know she wanted to best for us.

"I'll walk you to your car." I offered as I grabbed my suitcase and escorted my mother out of the office.

Once we got to her car she paused at the door. "Her mother is a sweetheart and her story was a tough one. I can see why she decided to leave even if I could never if I were in her shoes."

All I could do was numbly nod. I was done with the drama for today.

"See you tomorrow?" I asked her, earning a soft yes and a gentle motherly hug.

I sped home and fast walked up the stairs until I was walking into the apartment. I got myself situated and placed my bag away while Lexi said her goodbyes and once she was gone, I took my spot on the couch I had been daydreaming about all day.

I laid my cheek on Ellie's stomach where our baby was growing then I felt her fingers run through my hair in soothing motions.

I could have sworn I died and went to heaven because this was too good to be true to be real life.