Thirty One.

A/N; important authors note at the bottom.
***

Everyone stood outside the shop in the cool crisp fall wind that seemed to be getting colder with each moment that passed. I stared at the sign covered in a tarp that hung from above the front windows.

"Ellie, it's so fucking freezing. Can you hurry up?" Chris groaned and hugged his jacket tighter to his body as his teeth clattered in his mouth dramatically.

"It's forty five degrees. Freezing would be thirty two. Just wait, in a couple months it'll start to snow." Sam smirked when Chris rolled his eyes then continued to complain and compare about the weather differences he'd had to endure.

A sharp breath left me when I tried to call Maddox again. This time only for the call to go straight to voicemail. My gut turned looking at the faces of my friends that were covered in pity.

"I'm sure he's on his way." Lexi spoke softly and wrapped Annelia up in another blanket.

"Take off the tarp." I let out a defeated breathless whisper to Jacob and Sam. I couldn't make them wait in the cold any longer, it had already been hours since Max was supposed to show.

"You sure, Ellie?" Sam scrunched his brows and approached me.

I held up my hands with a wave, hoping to convey the message that I didn't want to be touched or bothered by him tight now.

"Just take it off." I asked of them again and they obliged, slowly revealing the sign in front of the tattoo shop I could call mine.

InkeddRose sat above the big bay windows in pretty writing.

"I love it!" Lexi squealed and pulled me into her embrace. Everyone congratulated me and hugged me, all wishing words of encouragement.

"We gotta get home." Jacob smiled and gave me a gentle hug as we all stood in the middle of the shop.

"Yeah, Annie clunkered out early." I sighed happily, adjusting the blanket around her and tucking it into Lexis arm.

"Give me a call if you need me." Lexi hushed before the family of three exited the building.

I sighed and took out my phone again. Even if my past hundred calls had gone to voicemail, I still called Maddox.

"Hey it's Maddox. Leave a message."

I groaned loudly and looked to Sam with a deadly stare.

His hands darted to the sides of his face in surrender. "I did not block you on his phone if that's what you're thinking."

"Then what the fuck is his problem? He could at least tell me he's busy instead of ignoring every call." My lips burned at the words remembering this was how we stopped talking altogether.

The differences between the past and now were huge though. There was no way he could ditch me with his child in my stomach. Max wasn't like that.

"Ellie, we'll walk you home. Come on, let's go figure out what lover boy has gotten himself into." Chris pulled on Sams arm and mine as he dragged us out onto the streets of the darkened city.