Twenty.

A/N: first time ever that I promised an update and didn't do it on time. I apologize guys! So here's three chapters.
Much love xx
***

Ellie POV

My body feels like it's been through time and space. Three flights in almost two weeks into two totally different time zones has thrown my internal clock for a loop. Plus the drastic weather change between the two, I could already feel a cold coming on.

My nose was stuffed, my head was pounding and all I could manage to do was cuddle on the couch with Dixie while Max unpacked and got ready for work.

Her fluffy body was like a warm pillow for me as I snuggled up next to her and put 'Friends' on TV.

"You okay?" Max asked softly as he kneeled in front of me. He placed the back of his hand to my forehead and then my cheek. "You don't feel warm but you look pale."

"I'm just extremely jet lagged." I sighed, closing my eyes again. "Too much traveling in such a short time."

Max kissed my forehead, lingering his lips to my skin. I could feel his smile pressed against me before he pulled away.

"You should relax today. I'll make some soup and put it in the fridge for later." Max looked around, adjusting his button up and slacks.

I hated that he had to go to work but seeing him dressed up made my heart thrum. He aged so nicely, I had to keep second guessing his age since he still had his boyish charm. I could still see the Maddox I fell in love with years ago, his button nose and plump lips were the same, but his chin seemed more defined, his eyebrows a bit fuller and his eyes held so much more emotion, like he had seen so much in the world already.

I watched as he grabbed his bag then tried to slyly put the golden wedding band back to his finger when I wasn't looking.

"I thought you didn't need that anymore?" I raised a brow as I forced my tired body to sit up.

Max frowned, gathering the rest of his work supplies. "I've been wearing it for years. Feels weird to not have it on at work."

I mimicked his lips, letting my gaze fall to the ground.

"I'm not married, L. Stop letting your mind think that." He huffed before coming back to me and placing his hands on my knees. "I'm yours. A hundred percent, please don't doubt me because of this." He raised his left hand in the air, showing off the ring that broke my heart when we first reunited.

"What do you tell people when they ask about your wife?" I questioned with jealousy raging through my mind for some reason.

"No one really asks. They see it and assume I'm married. Some people will and I'll just tell them my heart belongs to the most beautiful woman." He smiled softly.

"Who hits on you in the office?" I snapped without even thinking.

Max narrowed his eyes with a deep sigh. "Are you okay? I mean just the other day you were encouraging me to look at a naked pornstar and today you're being the total opposite."

My head rested to his shoulder as I closed my eyes. "I'm just crabby. I'm sorry."

He rested his cheek to the top of my head. His fingers ran up and down my arm in a soothing manner. His touch was like a lullaby, gently putting me into a trance.

"When is your period due?"

"Two days." My calm trance was interrupted by the thoughts of being pregnant.

"How about, on my lunch break, we could go to the OBGyn in my building. It's too early to know for sure but maybe it'll give you a peace of mind." Max lifted my chin softly so I could see the small tinge of excitement circling in his eyes.

"Not yet." I groaned. "I don't want to know yet."

"Ellie," Max frowned, "I'm here for you. Just get checked out. For me?"

"What if I just take a pregnancy test and call it a day? I really don't want to go to the doctors."

Max eyed me carefully. His face contorting into a small smile, one that really showed he was here, he wasn't going anywhere but was going to push me when the time came and dear God, please don't let me be pregnant.

"I'll pick some up on my way home." He pecked my lips with a smile.

"Can I bring Dixie with Chris and me to look at shops for sale?" I begged with my eyes, even Dixie looked to him in her own silent plead.

"Of course." He pat Dixie's head. "Don't go crazy today. I still want you to rest up."

"Okay, Doctor Bouchard." I winked, only causing Max to look at me with a fire in his eyes.

He leaned down, placing his lips to mine. His strong hand held the side of my neck and face as he pushed me softly into the couch, letting his weight lay on top of me.

"I like when you call me that." He smiled against me, pushing our hips together.

"Doctor, you're going to be late for work." My words mumbled as Max molded our mouths.

"First time in four years and so worth it." Max whispered before caressing my body, one hand on my hip and the other behind my head, holding me gently into his own.

My heart, mind and soul melted against him, loving each gentle stroke of my lips to mine that was emotionally deeper than any other kiss I've ever had.

But I couldn't get over the knot in my stomach. The one that twirled and twisted until it was sitting at the bottom of my throat.

Max leaned away, his eyes scanning my paling face again. "Please rest up before you go out." He whispered, his eyes closing tightly, knowing how I felt even without a word needing to be said from me.

I wanted to sigh or maybe to cry or laugh. I don't know. Everything was making my heart skip a beat and tear at its seams all at the same time.

My hand held the side of his stubbled face and even if I felt so happy in the moment, I couldn't smile yet. Not until I knew for sure what the hell is happening inside my body.

"I love you." I whispered to him, placing a gentle peck to his lips.

"I love you." He repeated with a smile I couldn't mimic.

"Have a good day at work." I called after Max as he grabbed his bag.

Max gave me a glance, then looked to the door then back to me. His mind and heart at a cross roads before he rushed over and placed another kiss to my lips.

He molded and meshed our lips together like it was our last moments of intimacy, sending butterflies free in my already weak stomach. His hand grasped the side of my face and his thumb rubbed under my eye. My whole body felt it was lifted off the ground with euphoria, feeling his gentle love.

"I don't think I'll ever get tired of you saying that to me in the morning." He hushed.

I giggled and shook my head to him. "You're going to be late, Max."

"I know. Call or text me if anything. I should be home around three. Okay?" He repeated the same words as this morning before running out the door.

I looked to Dixie who slumped her snout onto my lap with her own huff through her nose.

"Welp, Dixie. As long as I'm around, you won't be stuck in this house all day by yourself ever again." I promised her, giving the puppy who gives her all into everyone a pat on the head.

My other hand instinctively resting to my stomach with a sigh I've been holding in.