Nine.

A/N: so I have two more chapters in my drafts and just decided why not? So here you go <3
Love you guys! Thanks for the comments!

***

I rubbed my eyes roughly looking at the bustling New York City streets. The sun had barely risen an hour ago and people already littered the sidewalk. Some dressed in formal wear and others casual, buzzing around like bees scavenging for their queen.

I regret throwing on my outfit from last night on in my rush to leave as the cool autumn breeze brushed my exposed skin. I adjusted my unforgiving shirt as I weaved in and out of the groups of people, finally getting to the pharmacy.

Once inside I rushed to line that extended to the baby aisle and I groaned. Of course this is where I'd have to stand to wait. I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket, making my nerves rack even higher.

"Hey Max." I sighed, tapping my foot in annoyance and discomfort, looking at the pacifiers and diapers that surrounded me in a nagging protest.

"Where'd you go?" He asked, I could tell he was concerned and ready to reach through the phone and yank me back to his apartment.

"I ran to the pharmacy. Had to pick something up. Want anything?" I tried to act nonchalant, like everything was just peachy with the smiling baby from the Pampers diapers staring into my black soul.

"You're coming back?" Max seemed surprised.

I rolled my eyes with a list of annoyances. I hadn't had my morning coffee and with everyone around me just seemed to irritate me more, especially with this sixty degree, freezing weather.

"I planned on it but if you-

"No, no. Come back." Max rushedly pleaded, "I would have driven you if you woke me. Want me to come and we could get breakfast?"

My stomach turned at the thought of food. Or maybe it was at the thought of what I was about to buy.

"You were knocked out. Even Dixie couldn't wake you." I sighed. Sex last night took his soul from him momentarily. I thought I was snuggled to a dead person this morning but his light snores proved otherwise.

"Ellie, where are you?" Max asked again, this time more demanding. I could hear Dixie barking in the background and him hushing her softly as he fumbled around his apartment loudly.

"The pharmacy down the street from your apartment. Can you bring me a sweater If you're coming? It's fucking cold in this fucking state." I snapped, not caring when the guy two people in front of me gave me a dirty look.

"Yeah, I'm bringing Dixie so just meet us outside." Max sighed as he hung up.

I waited in line forever. Listening to everyone complain how long it was taking. I trained my eyes to the younger girl in front of me. She couldn't be any older than twenty shifting her stance uneasy as she clung to her body as if hugging herself to sanity.

Something I had in common with her when I'd have anxiety flare ups, not that long ago.

She seemed so nervous, fiddling with her fingers and picking her nail polish. The girl hugged her jacket to her body as she walked to the counter and in such a hush tone I heard her ask for the exact same thing as what I came for.

But the older woman behind the counter shook her head, saying something that inched right under my skin.

I just about lost it as I walked right next to the girl and held my hand on her back to stop her from walking away.

"I need the Plan B." I stated firmly, with one hand holding my arm to stop the chills from the a/c they had on in the fucking fall.

The older woman eyed me up and down with a shake of her head.