Three.

Annelia was crying again. Those heart breaking tears that I couldn't mend. Her body was curled into mine as I stood in a cool shower fully dressed with her in my arms.

I couldn't break her fever. Not with Tylenol, Motrin, pedialyte, ice pops. I've tried fucking everything for this poor little girl.

All I wanted to do was help her. I was failing as a godmother when my Cinderella needed me.

Lexi was calling me none stop. She already called the doctors office and told me to go there. Now.

"Alright, Annie. We're going to the doctors before mommy looses it and kills Auntie." I dried her off, making sure her hair was completely dry.

"L, I don't like being sick." She murmured into my chest as I bundled her up and carried her out to the car.

"I know, baby. I know. But the doctor is going to make you feel all better." I tucked her into her car seat, making sure to keep an eye on her every time I stopped at a red light.

Her bright hazel eyes looked so dazed as she stared out the window to the moving city.

Gosh. I hate when babies are sick. Especially my baby.

I may have not birthed her but I love her with all my heart.

I wrapped a blanket around her body as I picked her up and walked into the office. Not caring that I was dressed like it was Summer in my day dress and throw over.

I'm not used to these New York autumns.

"Appointment for Annelia." I told the lady at the front who then ushered me to a room in the back.

I sat on the short exam table with her on my lap. Pressing my cheek into her burning forehead.

"My goodness, Annie. We could bake cookies on you." I frowned.

"Chocolate chip?"

"Mhmm. Chocolate chip with as much ice cream on top as you want."

She snuggled closer into me. "I want mommy."

"I know, sweetheart." I do too. I rested my cheek on her forehead again with a sigh.

The door opened quietly but I was too preoccupied with Annie to even look.

"Lexi, I thought you had to go see your mother."

My stomach did summersaults at his voice. So sensual and husky, still. It took everything in me to even look up. My mouth gaping open, eyes wide. My stomach in a knot. Every part of my body wanting to wither away and be swept away into a sewage drain.

Maddox stood, looking at me the same way. His plump lips slightly ajar. His piercing green eyes dazed like I was a ghost haunting him.

I couldn't help but look at him. Take in the man I had fallen in love with once upon a time. Dress pants clung to his body. A white dress shirt tucked in, hiding his abs I'm sure he still had. With a long white Doctors coat over top. His hair was longer than I ever remember it being, now curling at the edges to the sides of his face. He even grew out the stubble on his face, making it look like a shadow hiding his lips.

"She did. I'm substituting." I had to force my lips to move, remembering why I was here. "Annie has had a fever for eight hours now. I've done everything to try and get it to come down."

Maddox raked a hand through his hair before sitting on a rolling stool. He adjusted his coat and wheeled over to us tediously slow. Every swipe of his dress shoe on the cold floor made my body ache with a hurt I had rid myself of so long ago.

"Motrin and Tylenol?" He asked, taking her temperature.

"Not helping. And a cool shower, no blankets, blankets, going outside for a minute, soup, pedialyte, water, ice pops, ice cream, and scooby doo. The last one mostly because she said it would scare the ickys away." I huffed still looking at Annie. "But even that's not working."

Max's green orbs watched my lips move with each thing I listed. His own body stiff as I spoke.

"Hey Annelia." Max cooed, his hand rubbing her back softly. Exposing his left hand.

My heart broke.

Literally shattered on the ground looking at the wedding band that claded his ring finger.

If it hadn't been for holding Annie, I'd cry.

"Max, I don't feel good." Annie cried for me.

And god, hearing her tears were enough to bring mine to the surface.

Max talked to her so gently as he listened to her heart and lungs. The whole time she was clinging to my body forcing Max to be inches from my face. His warm mint breath exactly the same. My heart stopped at every exhale through his plump lips.

"I think it's just a cold." Max wrapped his stethoscope around his neck and rubbed Annie's back again not moving from the mere inch from my face. "You're doing everything right, L."

God, that nickname tore me apart when he said it.

It's been too long.

"There's nothing else?" I practically begged him with my glossy eyes.

His piercing green orbs stared into mine. the fire that once lit them, so many years ago, now extinguished as he watched me crumble silently in front of him. His lips pressed firmly into a thin line. We both gazed into each other's souls, the lust that once held us so tight now just a broken record, skipping on the same track making my head pound. I could feel my tears threatening to pour over my lids any minute now. Every harsh exhale from his mouth just bringing me closer to the edge of the hole I dug myself out of years ago.

I couldn't take this.

"Sadly, no. Annelia just needs to ride this out. The fever will go down. If it gets any higher than 103 then she needs the hospital. Just keep doing what you're doing."

"L, I thought the doctor was going to fix me?" Annie gripped my shirt tighter.

"Oh, baby," I sighed looking down into those sad eyes. My finger grazed her cheek lightly, "the doctor said you are so strong. Even stronger than he is that you don't need his help."

I couldn't help the hidden innuendo to the weak man in front of me.

"Really?"

"Mhmm. How about we go home and watch some more Scooby Doo. And when you're feeling better we'll make some Scooby snacks."

"Eww. Those are for dogs." She gave a small giggle, making me smile down at her.

"Then we're going to have to get you a dog. I'll tell Daddy he has too." I giggled back at her when her eyes widened.

I looked back at Max, who stared at us intently. His eyes narrowing at me with some expression I couldn't quite understand.

"Thanks for looking at Annie so last minute." I grasped Annie in my arms and wrapped the blanket around her again.

"Ellie." Max breathed out. "I'm sorry."

I shook my head. I couldn't have this conversation in front of Annie.

"I'm happy if you are." I pointed to his ringed finger.

"I'm not-" He sighed as I opened the door.

"Bye, Max." I held Annie closer to me, carrying her back out to my car quickly.

I had to get away.