Fourteen.

Maddox POV

Everything is taken care of. Dixie is staying at Jacobs. Work approved me time off for my 'family emergency.' And here I was, in California.

Waiting for Ellie's sex buddy to pick me up.

Yeah.

I've figured it all out.

Just kidding.

I have no idea what I'm doing. All I knew was I couldn't wait until the weekend to see her. I couldn't let her wonder for two days if I was going to show up or not. I could see it in those ocean blue eyes of hers that she doubted me.

I didn't blame her but I had to prove her wrong. I had to show her how much I wanted her in my life. It's something I should have done years ago but between my own self doubt and the thought of her not wanting me, I didn't.

Now, I'm going to make things right. Or as right as I could.

"Max?" A male voice strained over the group of people gathered outside the airport.

I strained my eyes as I searched for the vague memory of what Chris looked like. All I remember was him touching Ellie's leg at spring break with his baseball hat on backwards and a tank top that was too tight.

A description that would aid any officer in finding a suspect, for sure.

Then he honked and started waving his hands frantically. I adjusted my shirt before rushing over and tossing my bag in the backseat.

"Hey, man." I sighed, hopping into the front seat of the car.

"Hey." Chris groaned, pulling away.

"Thanks for giving me a ride. I would have Uber'ed or something." I spoke clearly, trying not to stare at his furrowed brows and tight grip on the steering wheel.

I never asked him for a ride. I just wanted to be sure Ellie was at the tattoo shop before I went there since that was the only address I had. Thanks to google.

"Let's just cut to the chase, k?" Chris snapped in almost a calm, collective manner. "I'm only helping you so you don't fuck up your chances at fixing an already destroyed relationship. I don't like you. I don't want to be your friend. And I most definitely do not want to do small talk."

Wow.

"Got it." I rubbed my sweaty palms together.

"What are you planning? Just showing up at the shop and being like, hey! Just saw you this morning but here I am?"

I eyed him for a moment. I thought my barely thought out plan was working so far.

"Have you done anything romantic for a woman, ever?" Chris wide eyed me.

"Well, I bought Ellie flowers."

Chris rolled his eyes as he turned the car harshly to the curb. "Dear God. Alright, you need my help."

Chris slammed his door shut and I followed suit like a lost puppy in the busy streets of LA. I followed him through flower shops and every store that looked like it belonged in a hallmark movie. He would shove things into my chest without saying a word until my arms were slinging bags of my purchases.

Chris continued to walk down the street, in the opposite way of his car but I didn't open my mouth.

All I could think about was seeing Ellie. Knowing how close I was to her was killing me.

"You said on the phone that she thought you were coming on Friday. What changed?" Chris asked.

"I didn't want her waiting until Friday to know I was serious." I shrugged. "I really thought she was done with me all these years. That she moved on."