Twenty Two.

Ellie POV

My heart thrummed as I walked out to the kitchen to find Maddox stirring a pot of tomato sauce.

"You two were talking for a while." I spoke softly as I sat at his kitchen table.

"Well, it took at least five minutes for him to tell me every single precaution he took when you guys had sex." Max sourly spoke but gave me a soft glance after. "No, it's fine. I'm glad you guys were safe. It was just difficult to hear."

I gave a soft nod, fiddling with my fingers.

"Did you know he tracked your cycle?" Max laughed with a shake of his head.

"Stop it." I laughed back.

"Yeah, he knew when you were ovulating, when you'd get your period. Smart guy. Really, really doesn't want kids." Max laughed harder as he started getting our plates together. "Definitely my child if you are pregnant. You'd think being a pediatric doctor would give me common sense on cumming inside a woman but I guess not."

I gave him a sigh. "I don't want kids. I never have."

Max sat next to me and wrapped his arm around my back. "Let's stop talking about it for now. Tell me about the places you saw."

I smiled softly before telling him about all but one place. I couldn't tell him about the place I loved but couldn't commit to yet.

"So you didn't like any of them?" Max questioned with a raised brow.

I fiddled the spaghetti with my fork, twirling and untwirling the pasta with a huff. "There was one but I can't do it."

"Why not?"

I shrugged, not able to look at him just yet. "It's just a little too pricey is all but I'm sure there's another one I'll fall for." I gave a weak smile. "How was work?"

Max gave me a smile to die for, his happiness seeping out at such a simple question I asked. "I took off the ring. I'm sorry if I made you upset with it. I decided to wear it when I couldn't get a hold of you anymore, it became a reminder that you were out there and that I wanted to wait for you. I meant it when I said I didn't need it now that you're here. In New York. With me. It just, I feel like I don't deserve this or your love. I feel like I need to beg more or do something extravagant to show you how serious I am."

I placed a gentle hand to his, feeling his smooth skin beneath my touch. "Max, you don't need to do anything big to keep me. I'm here. Although, I didn't expect us to be living together so quickly. Are you sure that's okay?"

Max laughed softly, "Ellie, I promise it's okay. It's what I always wanted with you. Even if you said you'd never come to New York, I chose this place for us."

I gave a nod, placing my fork to the table with a sigh. "Can we just take the test? I can't wait anymore."

I didn't even give Max a chance to respond before I was rushing to the bathroom and yanking one of the dreaded sticks from its packaging. My heart was hammering in my chest, pounding as I peed it on and placed it to the counter.

Max stood in the doorway with his arms crossed as he watched me start to pace the living room for exactly two excruciatingly long minutes.

"Do you want to look or me?" Max asked softly, his eyes glancing towards the bathroom counter every few seconds with anticipation.

"You. Please." I continued to pace as I watched Max pick up the pregnancy test. His face didn't change at all, no happiness or sadness or worry.

"It's too early to tell, isn't it?" I asked my feet curiously venturing towards my future that rested in his hands. "We should have waited until morning to do it." My mind was rambling but my lips stopped moving once Max showed me the results.

My gut twisted and contorted until it felt like my whole body was turning to stone. I was a stuck in time looking at the positive test.

"L, it'll be okay." Max hushed, placing a calm hand to my back.

I wanted to cry. To scream. But I couldn't move.

"Ellie, say something." Max cooed as I took the test and walked into the kitchen.

My body was on auto pilot as I tossed the test in the trash then just stared at it with so many mixed emotions, I couldn't tell which I felt the most.

"We just got back together." I whispered under my breath, placing my face in my hands. "How are we supposed to have a baby when we just got back together? God, I should have told you I wasn't on birth control. I never should have taken off my top. It's all because I'm so freaking stupid and don't think shit through."

Max sighed as he wrapped his arms around me. "We'll figure it out, L."

I shook my head and stuffed my face into his chest. "Do you want it?"

Max stiffened for a moment. "The baby?" He paused as I nodded. "Yes but I won't stop you from getting an abortion if that's what you feel is right."

I paused, letting my mind take in the two choices I had since adoption wasn't an option I would be able to follow through with.

"I'll support both of you." Max spoke gently as he pressed his cheek onto the top of my head. "I'll make sure you can fulfill your dream of opening your own tattoo shop, even if we decide to keep the baby. You won't be alone in this. Don't think that just because you're pregnant you can't do everything you ever wanted."

I looked up into his sparkling green eyes that glossed over at his words. "You promise?"

Max gave me his signature dopey smile that I had missed for so long. "I promise. I got you, L and I'm never letting go. No matter what the world throws our way."

***
A/n: let's start voting now ;)

Comment here for Boy (add names if you'd like)

Comment here for Girl

Everyone called it but I guess I couldn't be any more obvious about it. :p