Bonus Chapter

A/N; hey guys! Bonus chapter update! :)

Flashback, 1 year ago. (3 years after agreeing on a break)

Ellie POV

It's midnight in California. Meaning; Today is the day.

The day I've been waiting for for three years. The moment where I can tell Maddox I still love him. That I still want him by my side, loving me and caring for me like he had done in the past.

I've behaved. I promised myself I would during our time apart.

No boyfriends. No sex.

The only cheat was texting Maddox sometimes to see how he's doing but we never went deep. I hated that. We kept in touch but were never truthful about our lives apart. It was always a simple, 'hey you good?' Followed up with a, 'yeah, you?'

It wasn't great but it made me hold on for longer than I thought I could or even should.

Or at least up until last year. Then he stopped texting me back all together. I thought maybe it was too much of a tease talking to each other as acquaintances instead of what we wished we were. So I brushed it off and counted down the days until today. Until I could release my self restraint that weighed me down like a ball and chain.

I couldn't wait to hear back from him. To figure out our life together. Even if he wouldn't move to California, I'd fly to him in a heartbeat at this point just to be in his arms. We'd figure it out, I'm sure of it.

"Ellie." Chris groaned, pausing the random Netflix show he had on. "What's wrong? You picked out this show. I could be out with my friends getting laid right now instead of babysitting you moping about god knows what now."

I sighed, looking down to my darkened phone. "I tried calling Max but he never responded."

I scrolled through our short texts, reading the simple one or two words we were sending to each other. It had become a habit of mine when things got tough, to look back and reminisce.

The last message I ever received from him was my favorite and longest one I've ever gotten.

Maddox
It's been a tough day for me. I hope yours is better. Goodnight, L xx

It was so simple but the mixture of kisses at the end, my nickname and the wishes from him made my heart thrum whenever I looked at it.

"Well it's three in the morning in New York. He's probably sleeping." Chris shrugged as he turned the show back on.

I couldn't help but feel my heart twisting.

Maybe he moved on or he's with a girl. I never asked if he'd still want me. Adding the fact that we haven't spoken in a full year. My mind knew what happened but my heart just didn't understand.

My heart longed for him, even after all of this time.

"I'm going to call him." I sighed as I went into the kitchen in my little apartment.

I held the phone to my ear, hoping and wishing to hear his voice again. I spoke a silent prayer when the call rang a few times.

"It's Maddox. Leave a message."

I sighed deeply when the voicemail beeped. "Max, It's been three years. I know we haven't spoken in a while but god, I want to hear your voice." I paused looking to the flickering light above my head with a large exhale. "If I don't hear from you, I guess that means you moved on and if you did, I hope you're happy. I'm, you know, happy too. Things are going well in California and I don't know what I'm even doing leaving you a voicemail this long. I just, sigh, good luck with everything, Maddox. I wish you the best."