Six.

"Ellie fucking Taylor!" Lexi screeched into the phone.

I sipped from my mug with a groan. "Dude, stop yelling. Im exhausted, my body is still on West Coast time."

"You better tell me nothing happened with my little girl in the house!" She scolded me like a child.

"We talked then we all fell asleep on the couch. Nothing more, Lex." I rubbed my eyes, not ready for this conversation at all. "How's your mom?"

"She opened her eyes today. It's not much but it's progress. The doctor said it's going to take time." Lexi sighed, dropping the mom act.

Max set down Annie's plate of breakfast that he cooked before reaching for the phone. "Hey, Lexi. Sorry for- no nothing happened.- are you planning on moving your mother closer when she becomes more stable? What are the doctors saying?"

I watched as Maddox spoke to Lexi in Doctor terms. He sounded so knowledgeable and precise with his words, it'd turn anyone on. Especially the way he pronounced cerebrovascular accident. Coming from his mouth, you'd never know that it was the horrible thing that was forcing Annabelle into a coma.

I watched his chest puff slightly whenever he acknowledged Lexi's concerns then calming her with a few simple words. God, he was charming. The way he spoke intelligently and firm on his worries for my best friend and her mother. He seamlessly dumbed everything the doctors were telling Lexi, to the point I even understood everything that was happening.

"No, that's a good thing, Lexi. They should be telling you that. If they aren't being encouraging, you should think about moving her to a different hospital. Want me to call around? It's not a problem. Alright, here's Ellie."

"Lex? Are how you handling all of this?" I spoke softly, just like my therapist would do when I was on edge.

"Not good, Ellie. I just want her to be better. I want to be home with my baby. Jacob is going to fly back home today but I'm going to stay for a bit." Lexi huffed.

"Do you still require my babysitting services? Because I may have to start charging by the child if you're sending your eldest home." I teased, making her lightly laugh.

"No, You can stay or go home. It's all up to you. I know Annelia loves you being there and I'm sure Maddox feels the same."

I closed my eyes tight, trying not to think about having to go home yet.

"Are you two together?"

"No."

"Good. Make him work for it."

I lightly laughed as I looked up to see Max playing with Annie while they ate. He was doing his Scooby impression making her giggle up a storm.

I quickly excused myself into the other room.

"I don't know what to do, Lexi. I need your honest truth. Like you've always done to me."

"Alright, but you might hate me for it." Lexi groaned. "I'm mad at him for hurting you. He was a fucking asshole at the end of your relationship and the fact that he left you hanging? Makes me hate him more. I've only dealt with him for Jacobs sake and he's a good doctor for Annie. I mean he has changed. He's slightly more mature now. He never stopped asking about you, he always told us how much he loved you. I never told you because, well, you told me not to. It was Max's responsibly to prove himself to you and in my opinion, he failed at that. He could have flew out to see you or visit. He could have stayed in touch but he didn't. He let you live your life for four years and now what? He wants you to drop it all again to be with him? I don't like it but I'd support your choice no matter what."

I digested her long rant with a frown. "I love you, Lex. You know that?"

Always the wise one, my best friend.

"I know, I know. Just don't do anything with my daughter present or I'll put you in a chastity belt."

"Text me. Alright?"

"Yeah, love you, Ellie."

I shuffled back into the kitchen earning a glance from Max.

"Annie, guess what!" I clapped my hands together as I ran up to her. "Daddy's coming home today!"

"Daddy! Yay!" She yelled as she jumped from her chair and ran laps around the house.

Max eyed me wearily but kept his emotions to a minimum. I sat beside him with my mug clasped in my hands. My eyes trained on the flowers in front of me, wondering if I could even be with Max again.

"Ellie," Max breathed, "Will you go on a date with me?"

I turned slowly to him, feeling as if I were a high schooler again being asked out for the first time, all over again.

"I know you have to go home soon for work and I know you're still thinking about us but let me take you on a date before you decide anything." He took my hand in his, playing with the loose ring that still sat on my knuckle.

"I did promise you a date like four years ago." I rolled my eyes.

"Why did I never take you out?" Max raised a brow.

"We had a lot more fun at home." I teased with a shrug.