Chapter 13

Ryler:

The next day Agent Storm and Agent Manning take Nikki and I over to my parents' house. Agent Hawthorne finally forced me into cluing them in on everything that's going on. I know I should have right away but I think they were finally just starting to feel like things were getting good again and now here I was pulling the rug out from underneath them. I hated doing this. Thankfully Agent Hawthorne did most of the talking on the phone last night so I didn't have to say much. My parents were upset of course. They were upset that I kept this from them, but most of all they were upset that my life is once again in jeopardy.

As we pull up to the two story Victorian home which is surrounded by several other homes that look similar I marvel at how strange this still is. My parents have been living here for over two years now but I still found it strange. Back in New York we didn't really have any neighbors. My mother preferred it that way. She liked us having a big yard and lots of private property for me to play on as a child and for her to grow her gardens. She liked her privacy. Privacy wasn't a privilege we could really afford anymore. When we were relocated the FBI said it would be best if we assembled into the neighborhood and lived amongst neighbors, not to mention that it would be safer to have neighbors close by. My parents of course agreed because they would do anything for my safety but I made sure that my mother got to choose the house and that she absolutely loved it. They house they were living in now was similar to our old one.

Once Agent Storm stops the car we all get out together but they let me take the lead as I walk towards the front door of my parents' house. I don't even get a chance to knock because my mom flings the door open and envelopes me into her arms. It takes me a moment but I do eventually squeeze her back. I still don't do all that well with physical contact, even from my own mother.

"Hi mom" I whisper into her hair.

"Hey baby" she whispers back to me and I can tell she is fighting back tears. She squeezes me once more before pulling away. "Come on in everyone" she says as she steps aside. We all walk inside and follow her into the living room. Once we're there she hugs Nikki and then I introduce her to Agent Manning and Agent Storm.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both" she says just as my father enters the room. He comes to stand right beside my mother as he places a loving hand on her shoulder and she absentmindedly covers it with her own.

"Hi daddy" I say when his eyes land on me. He moves away from my mother and comes to meet me halfway. When I reach him he gathers me into his solid arms and squeezes me just like my mother did.

"Hi sweetheart" he whispers. Once I pull away he says hello to Nikki and then I introduce him to Agent Manning and Agent Storm as well. Unlike my mother my father takes his time sizing them up, deciding if he trusts whether or not they have the ability to protect me. "You two better keep my daughter safe" he says and he doesn't make any attempt to hide the threat in his voice.

"We will sir" they both agree in unison.

"Alex" my mother chides. "Enough with threatening these nice men. Let's focus on the real reason they are here." Her eyes move to me and they soften as she smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes because they are filled with worry. "Ryler" she breathes. "How are you sweetie?"

"I'm okay mom" I say and it comes out truthful since it isn't a total lie. I am doing okay or at least I think I am considering how my life has been going lately. I know an answer like that won't do with her though so I add, "Things have been moving quickly but I've been going to see Dr. Roberts and she's helping me deal with everything. Besides, I feel safe with Agent Manning and Agent Storm." I know hearing that I've been going to therapy will help to ease my mother's mind and so will the fact that I feel safe, but that doesn't mean that either thing isn't true. They are, but I mainly said them for her benefit.