Chapter 34

Ryler:

I stir in my room for hours feeling restless. I try to busy myself with homework but I find it useless. I cannot focus. I cannot think of anything other than this awful feeling I have as the words from the latest note replay over and over in my mind. Something is going to happen. Something bad. I just don't know what.

I check my phone again for the millionth time hoping to find a text or missed call from Nikki or Colt but find nothing. I'm really worried about her now. I'm about to try calling her when my phone lights up with Nikki's name. My hearts races with relief as I answer it.

"Nikki" I breathe. "Are you okay? I've been worried sick."

"Hello Rachel" a dark and sinister familiar voice says and my heart and world shatters as my skin crawls and the room spins. I say nothing as flashbacks of what happened to me play across my vision making me sick, but then I remember Nikki and I pull myself together.

"Where is she?" I demand but my voice shakes.

"She's here" he says. "And she's unharmed and she shall remain that way if you follow my instructions. Understand?"

I want to vomit but I nod my head as I say, "I understand."

"Good" he says sounding pleased and I hate it. "You always were a smart girl Rachel. I knew I could depend on you."

I ignore him and say, "I want to speak to her. Before I do anything I want to speak to her and make sure she is okay."

"You don't' believe me?" he asks and he genuinely sounds shocked and a little hurt. I would be surprised but I remind myself he is a psychopath and doesn't have a full grasp on reality.

"I need reassurance" I say. "If I'm going to do what you ask I need you to do this for me."

I hate that I'm reasoning with him but I need him to do this. I need to make sure Nikki is okay for right now.

He is quiet for a moment before saying, "Okay. You have one minute Rachel."

I cringe as he says my old name again, but a part of me is grateful he doesn't call my Ryler. I don't want him tainting that name too.

"Ryler?" I hear Nikki's voice and it is filled with fear and tears. My heart breaks. This is my fault and I hate myself.

"Nikki" I rasp. "I'm here. Are you okay?"

She sniffs, "I'm fine. He killed the agents that were escorting me and drugged me. I don't know where I am Ry." She sounds so scared but I can tell she is trying to be strong.

"It's okay" I say soothingly, trying to calm her. "I'm going to find you. You are going to be alright. I promise Nikki. I won't let him hurt you."

"Ry . . ." she says my name and I can tell she knows I'm up to something. "Don't do anything stupid. I'm not worth it. Okay? Promise me you won't do what he wants. Promise me Ry" she says desperately.

Tears burn my eyes because I can't promise her this, I can't sit here and do nothing when I have the power to save her, even if it means I forfeit my own life. "You're going to be okay Nikki" I say softly through my tears, knowing these my very well be my final words to her I add "I love you."

"Ry no!" I hear her yell just before the phone is taken from her and then the monster is back.

"Was that proof enough for you?" he asks.

"What do you want me to do" I say ignoring him as I try to pull myself together. I remind myself over and over again that Nikki's life is at stake here. She is all that matters. I must do whatever he wants for her, no matter how much I hate him.