Without a Backward Glance

Choi Youngjae POV

My head was spinning with Dad's poisoning investigation's result. Not an official investigation for sure, some of the guys in NIS were doing me a favor. They were shocked as well, that Shinhye was involved, in the worst way.

I know these NIS guys had no tendency towards anyone, supposed to be no biased at all, but I had a hard time swallowing the shreds of evidence and findings.

It was all started in the Summer Palace restaurant where the best ice mung beans in town were sold. I have no idea that the Summer Palace was owned by the Parks. Shinhye never told me that, I never asked either. I retrieved some footage, rewinding back who delivers the ice mung beans to Dad's house, who packed it, who poured it to the plastic bowl from the saucepan.

Between those people on the footage, I saw a familiar pair of eyes, even wearing a mask and a chef cap. Pair of eyes who has become my favorite for the last two months.

I thought I'd never move on from Yejin but then there she was. Little that I knew, that she was going to hurt my Dad.

I was on the top of the building across Park Heesoo's penthouse in the middle of Seoul city, in the very early morning of the day. He wasn't wake up yet but I can spot him through the window. He was sleeping on his couch. I was ready with my sniper rifle and binoculars. That day was the morning of President Hyun's last day as President of South Korea. Park Heesoo was supposed to attend the last state banquet later at night, with me too, but then it depends on how Shinhye would answer my questions.

"You're awake, baby?" I called her.

"Yes, too bad Dad is here, actually I want to sleep at your place last night."

"What are you going to do after this?"

"Reheating some dishes for Dad. I've bought some from a restaurant last night."

"Oh, what's breakfast? Ice mung beans?"

"Warm mung beans soup. Dad likes it warm. But your Dad likes it cool."

"Everyone's into mung beans, apparently. From the Summer Palace?'

"Yes, they serve the best mung beans, even President Hyun likes it."

"So a lot of people order mung beans from Summer Palace. How can you be sure that a certain bowl was going to be sent for my Dad? Did you pour the wrong dose of poison that he is still alive now?"

"Youngjae? What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I am talking about. Confess, or today President Hyun will have not only the last state banquet but a funeral ceremony of Park Heesoo as well."

"You're bluffing."

"Your Dad is on the couch wearing his last night's shirt, still sleeping, while I'm here wide awake, ready to take him down in 5 4 3 2-."

"Stop! Stop it! Fuck you Youngjae!"

"Come down I'll meet you."

"I'm not stupid! You must be with your sniper gang. You'll shoot my Dad when I confess."

"I always do fair play."

"I'll tell you things but I won't leave my Dad."

I spotted her shadow behind the vitrage. She stepped out to the balcony and raised one hand up while the other hand holding her phone. She was searching for my spot but I was hiding.

"Spill it, baby."

"The order was a contest from The Council and I didn't dare to reject now drop your gun!"