An Upcoming Birthday

Charlie leaned against the window, watching Willy and Rose

Charlie leaned against the window, watching Willy and Rose. The two of them were still hugging, then Willy whispered something in Rose's ear, causing her to smile. Then, their hug ended and Willy offered Rose his hand. She happily took it and then the two of them walked out of Charlie's sight.

"What are they doing now, dear?" Mrs Bucket asked as she got started on making breakfast.

"They're going for a walk" Charlie said. He stepped away from the window and sat at the table with Mr Bucket. "Rose's birthday is coming up very soon, and I want it to be really special for her this year"

Mr Bucket smiled at his son. "What were you thinking of doing for her, Charlie?"

"I was thinking of writing down a list of some of her favourite things and giving it to Mr Wonka. That way, I can help him plan a perfect day for Rose, and the two of them can spend it together" Charlie explained.

"That's a great idea, Charlie" Mrs Bucket said.

"I've got to start planning right away" Charlie grabbed a pen and notebook. He flipped it to the first empty page. "This needs to be a birthday that Rose will never forget"

******

Willy and Rose walked hand-in-hand along the chocolate river. It was a silent walk for the most part, as they were just enjoying each other's company. Rose started humming the tune to the song she was humming the night before.

"You have the most lovely hum I've ever heard" Willy complimented her.

"You could hear me humming?" Rose asked, becoming flustered. She only ever really hummed or sang in front of Charlie. "Well, I'm happy, and when I'm happy I tend to hum"

"Do I make you happy?" Willy asked her shyly.

"Of course you do, Willy" Rose told him. "Truth be told, I don't think I've ever been as happy as I am with you"

Willy furrowed his eyebrows. "Doesn't your family make you happy?"

"They do, yes" Rose nodded. "But it's a different kind of happy I feel when I'm with you"

"You make me really happy too, Rose" Willy confessed. Rose smiled at him, but then her expression changed. She became deep in thought. "What's wrong, starshine?"

"Oh, it's nothing important" Rose said quickly.

"Now, that can't be true" Willy gave Rose's hand a gentle squeeze. "You can tell me"

"Well, it's going to be my birthday in a matter of days" Rose explained. Willy smiled excitedly at the mention of it. "But, it's not something I like to make a big deal over"

"Why not?" Willy asked her as if she was the craziest person on the whole planet. "It's your birthday! It's meant to be a very special day!" His violet eyes sparkled with excitement "You know what I'm gonna do?"