Chapter 37: Truth

I lay on my bed with my hands on my stomach and eyes staring at the darkness of my room. It had been a while since I woke up and instead of walking around, I stay right there on my back with thoughts running through my head.

I had blocked Eliz because I didn't want her to pester me to see Eric. Right now, I want to enjoy this peace before facing another storm. I didn't want to have hopes for my mate as our fate had been doomed before I even came into his life. However, what I want to do is to tell him that I am thankful and that I have forgiven him for everything.

It's a good plan for moving forward and for my peace. When I have enough time of thinking, I pull off the sheet from my body and stood up to turn on the lights. I then went to the bathroom to wash my face, letting my barricade with Eliz break. I then tie up my black hair in a ponytail and for the first time, I look better. 

Actually, I feel better.

I stood there watching my reflection. It's like I'm looking at a new me. Eliz starts whimpers in my head, pushing and telling me that she wanted to see her mate but I simply ignore her and take a deep breath. "We will see him soon Liz," I told her and she huffed in return. 

I fix my clothes before I went back to my bedroom only to find Aaron sitting at the edge of my bed. His head hung low with a moonshine bottle in his hand. I watch him for a while wondering why he is drinking. He didn't look as if he is celebrating. He looks exhausted.

"Aaron" 

He takes a sip of his moonshine before he looks at me and instead of happiness to blaster on his face, he looks at me with guilt on his face. I wonder what is it guilty of? 

"I think it's time for you to know," he says and chugs down the moonshine in his throat. "Elle," he says as he staggers to get up. I moved toward him but he push me away and moved to the other side of the bedroom.

"He asked me to save you on that day" he blurted and I became confused.

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

Aaron didn't reply instead he shut his eyes and shakes his head no. He then let out a light laugh to himself with his fist clenched into fists. 

His action and his words are making me confused. I want to ask again but I know better than to push him to tell me. I waited for him to say what he needs to tell me. I mean is so bad for him not to tell me. 

He takes a seat on the nearest chair beside him, rubbing his face with his hands. Aaron nods his head, struggling to confess whatever he is about to say. He looks conflicted and I want to reach out to him but I remain standing where I am. The room fell silent and before I could speak he glance up and that is when I see tears dropping from his eyes.

"Aaron"

"Eric couldn't choose you because you weren't his pack member and nobody knows you were his Mate at the time," Aaron confesses and I felt my heart stop.

I mean what is he saying. It cannot be true and I refused to believe his words. No, Eric would never do that, I thought. He made it clear that he doesn't want me. Aaron is lying. Please Moon Goddess tells me he is lying.

"He begged me to save you from the hunters. Eric for the first time since we met got down on his feet and beg me in his office to save you... even when we came to save you and he didn't pick you... he... he still begs me to save you on that day."

My heart shattered by his revelation and I felt like crying. Eliz on the other hand whimpered in sadness. 

"That's why I came back for you and contacted Jay to help you out. Nobody knew as it was just between us Alphas. When your life was threatened by the hunters, he even proposed for you to be under my protection." Aaron paused and hit on his chest.

Everything became clear to me. Why do they still insist on me to be at Aaron's pack even when I am not needed in tracking down Jea? All my suspicions back then were now confirmed and I want to know why he then act like I do not matter to him.

"I for one objected to his idea Elle," Aaron confesses again. 

His words were plowing a punch to my heart. How much can I take again because I think I am dying from the truth he is telling me. 

"That's why I tried my best not to be close and forbid you from going anywhere in my pack. When Eric heard about your isolation, he hated me for it... I thought it wasn't my responsibility to look after you," Aaron lower his head in shame. 

"So...you never cared for me," I say and still try to hold back my tears. I refused to cry again. Aaron got up and stride toward me. I shook my head no and take a step back, only for him to pull me into his arms.

"I do care Elle and I think I'm falling for you but... I want you to know the truth that Eric loves you too. He didn't neglect his duties as your mate," when he said that I cried.

"Shhh," he hushes me up and his hands lightly patting me on the back.  "You need to talk to him. I don't think he has that much time left Elle," he says and I sob loudly. I couldn't believe that all this time Eric was never the bad guy here. He loves me in his way.

I could feel Eliz drowning from loving and aching for our mate. She desperately wants to see him and this time I don't hesitate. I want to see him as there are so many things want to ask him. He may have mated with someone else but at least he did care, and I kind of feel bad for all the bad things I said to him.

I try to wipe off my tears as I slowly pull away from Aaron's arms. "I think I need to talk to him," I told him and he looks pain. "Aaron, will you be okay with that?" I ask even though I didn't need to. Aaron nods in agreement. 

"I am sorry Aaron for hurting you right now but I need to see him. Eliz needs to see him."

"He gave you to me, even though his heart was with you. So why would I be mad at someone who gave me a great gift? You have every right to be with him Elle...he's your mate. I mean we haven't quite figured out about ourselves. Maybe after this" He says and hugs me tightly. 

"He's been moved here and I had him allocated to a room across from yours, Don't worry Claire hasn't visited yet and she's not there," he whispers before letting go of me.

I walk out and went straight to Eric's room which is opposite mine.  I try to breathe in and out before slightly opening his door. I peek my head inside to see him and I am only met with darkness except for the light from outside illuminating the darkness of his bed. I saw him lying there on the bed not moving. 

I walk inside closing the door behind me without making a sound. I then went and sat beside his bed. I watch him lying there and instead of waking him up, I decided to wait until he does. 

'He would have been a perfect mate if we have met under a different circumstance.' I thought as my eyes fixed on his face. 'Yet fate has its ways.' I put my head on his bed before closing my eyes as I hold on to his hand.

A movement on the bed made me slowly open up my eyes and came face to face with Eric. His piecing gaze reminds me of our first encounter. He is staring back at me with no shame. His cheek turned red and his eyes widen in surprise that I caught him staring.

"Hey, did I?" I ask and he shook his head weakly. He look down to his hands, avoiding my eyes. "How are you feeling?" I ask him again. 

"Better" he replies but I could see that he is lying

"Eric" 

He raise his head up and once when our eyes meet again I couldn't control a tear slipping from my left eye. "Thank you" I say and for the first time ever since we met he gave me a sincere smile and it warmed my heart.

'The song says; we don't have to fix it, we don't have to stay. I will love you either way.' I hope you have enjoyed reading. Now who didn't expect this and pls don't lie I will know lol 'Unfollow My Heart' Nica😊❣️