Chapter 41: Not Too Late

Aaron suggested for us to run in the woods and, I agreed with him. Eliz felt it refreshing since we haven't shifted when we were in the human realm.

"You don't mind if we talk where we first met," he says. "Sure, I won't." 

We continue to run, crossing my pack's border, and made it to another territory probably Eric's. When we were nearer we stopped running and continue to walk. Before we reach the spot we met, Aaron and I both shifted to our human forms.

He threw some of the clothes at me without looking at my naked body. "Thank you," I told him and went to change behind a tree.

The first question I ask him once were fully clothed and stood at the same spot we met at the beginning with the same scenery is; "how's everyone doing?" 

He takes a deep breath before he replies, "everyone is doing great. Conrad had found his mate and Jay had moved with his mate to Zeus' pack. He is the Alpha now." I smile knowing that both Betas found their mate and Jay is now an Alpha. 

Aaron and I then talk about other random stuff about how my life in the human realm was and how he had to cope with everything. I pick up from our conversation that he never mentioned anything about Claire so I decided to ask him. At the same, I was thinking maybe he didn't want to because it could make things awkward.

"How's everything with Claire?"

Aaron stops with his explanation and turns to face me, his hand scratches his hair. "I don't know. We haven't come to good terms since the day of the funeral," he said. 

I bit my lip and look him in the eyes, not knowing what to say about that. "Does-"

 Aaron caught me off guard when he closed the distance between us, his hand caressing my cheek.  His scent overwhelms me and I kind of like it. He didn't let me finish when I felt his warm lips on mine. It made me stunned for a moment. I didn't know what to think or say.

He moved his and I didn't refuse as I responded to him when I come out of my shocking state, making him smile while we kissed. We pull away for a moment to breathe.

"I broke everything with Claire when you left that day? I wanted to come and get you but I know I have to give you some time to get a hang of everything. You know"

He looks at me then continues "Claire went against me for months when I refused to be her mate again. She even tried to bring in the council. Yet too bad she was found guilty instead and was banished from the pack. Now Eric's pack is run by Lucian and his mate"

"Council" I look at him with confusion ad I am surprised that Lucian is now an Alpha. "Yes. The council is something all Alphas agreed on. So, it runs by four elders and us the Alphas. It's for bringing orders and laws consistently throughout our race," he explains.

"WOW that's a lot of info," I said and he laugh shortly. "So where is Claire now, if she was banished?" I ask again.

He looks guilty for a moment before he says, "she was found dead near our border. Theoretically, she has been attacked by rogues." He sighs heavily then shoves his hands in his pocket, turning away from me.

"Elle, I'm really sorry for everything and I'm sorry for not coming after you. I did want to but I know you need more time. Even if it takes more than just a year for you to come back I'll still wait," he stops and turns back to me.

"I'm sorry Elle."

Eliz doesn't have any more problems with Aaron. She has liberated herself and has agreed for me to be with anyone. She always told me back in the human realm that it's never too late for us.

I step forward and peck him on the cheek as I didn't want to rush into any relationship. I may have kissed him earlier but it doesn't mean I agree to be his mate and be with him. I want to enjoy my time before I enter a relationship with Aaron.

 "Is that so?" I ask him and he smiles. "Thank you" I added.

He didn't hesitate to pull me in his arms and then kisses me on the forehead. "I love this, us being together" he squeezes my shoulder.

"Careful there Alpha we are not in the lovey-dovey route yet," I say and elbow him in the stomach. He coughs and holds me in his arms. "I know and I will wait," he said.

"I might have promised Eric to be there if we met in another life," I told him and see if he gives up but Aaron pulls me in a hug and whispered, "it's okay, I'll still wait for us to happen."

"You're not mad," I ask him. 

He lowers his head tilting my chip to meet his gaze. "Nope. As long as you're with me now," he says and winks at me. 

I smile thanking the moon goddess for how I get to be so lucky. "I like you" I took him by surprise. "As a sibling," I added and he let out a long sigh. "Siblings don't kiss" he deadpan and looked at me with a 'you're joking look.'

"Okay, fine I like you as a friend for now." 

I didn't want to say the love word, not so fast. I want to take things slow with Aaron and savor every moment of it even with our last breath. Whether we end up as friends or lovers I still want to go slow.

"Say it again," he begs me.

"Aaron I like you and maybe one day you will then be my significant one," I honestly told him. He kissed me on the forehead again then whisper while looking me straight in the eyes "I like you more, my significant one. I will wait for you."

Now I am content and happy to live this life with the Alpha beside me, to begin this life again. I have been late before but this time I know that I'm not but I want to embrace all the good moments starting from today onwards.

I mean who would have thought that after all the misfortunes, the heartache, the dramas, and the battles. In the end, the moon goddess still makes sure that latecomers like me would never be left without a Mate.

"A Mate for the Latecomer"

I've changed some things here, instead of going with the second plot where Elle ends up with Aaron in this chapter. I decided to leave it open for everyone to decide. The epilogue will be up soon and it may be not what everyone expects but hey I wrote the end before the first chapter... Lol... Unfollow My Heart, Nica.