Chapter 38: His Last Words

I remember writing this chapter while listening to the song above!

"I remember the first time I saw you," he says as he holds on to my hand.  

"You're everything I could ever wish and want to have. It was the first time I agreed with my wolf on something," his lips curved in a smile as if he is reminiscing that day.

"I want to be the best mate but then I couldn't. I just couldn't turn everything around. It wasn't fair for you Elle." I try to pull my hand away from his but he held it tight. "Please at least hear me out," he begs me.

"No Eric I can't. I... I...I  don't think I can" I stutter as I tried to tell him not to go there with my tears almost bursting from my eyes. However, he pleaded with me to hear him out. Therefore, I ended up staying with him in his room.

Eric raised his body and I try to help him but he stops me. "I can do it, Elle," he says as he leans his back against the bed's headboard. 

He took my hand and then made me sit in front of him. His hand reaches out and caresses my cheek. He touches me as if he is scared that I might break and run away. I tried to look away and close my eyes but he gently tilts my chin up.

"You are a perfect person and a perfect mate made by the moon goddess for me. The strongest female that I have ever met and the kindest of them all. I misunderstood her gift for me." I saw his eyes clouded with tears until they slowly slipped from his eyes down to his cheeks.

"I killed you once Elle. I killed you twice in fact I killed you many times. But you- You never killed me. I... We waited for that day but it never came" he says as he struggles to calm down. This moment between us was filled with so many emotions.

"You could have done what Claire did to Aaron... shutting him off without a second chance and parading her new lover around but you never did that to me," he cries and my hand in distinctively reaches out for his and the other wiping his tears away. 

We were both crying. Everything hurts right now and his confession was something that I have always longed to hear. And it so fucking hurt to hear it now. 

"You taught me so many things even brought me to the realization of what a deadly sin I have committed, of what part I did wrong," he admitted and closes his eyes with tears still dripping from them.

"I wanted to love you in the open Elle but it's so unfair for you. You waited but I didn't. So instead of making you love me, I want you to hurt and hate me instead," he stutters and grips at his heart. "I love you in the dark... It's what I did instead of facing the reality that you're here but I can't reach you and turn you around to love me."

"Eric' I try to make him see me but he stops my hands and kisses them. He put them on his lap. He then moves his gaze to the window where a full moon is seen. 

"I shouldn't have accepted Claire back then. I should've ignored my stupid desire and let Aaron have a second chance with his mate. I should have tried harder and looked for you instead of giving up on us easily," he confessed.

Eric looked at me once more and tried to wipe away my tears with his thumps. He lifted my chin with his finger delicately. "I apologize for everything that I've done to you. I am so sorry that I couldn't be there for you and Eliz."

I widen my eyes at how he knew Eliz but he cut me off. "I know Zhipa always talks to me about you and her in our alone time. I've always dreamed of you and wonder what could have been if we have met under another circumstance."

He took a deep breath while at the same time caressing my cheek. "I am deeply sorry for it and I will take everything with me, all the guilt, regrets, and pain I'll take with me" his tears pour down his face once again.

I knew that it wasn't entirely his fault as some part was entirely mine. I mean my family kept me from Eric by not giving me that freedom. Yet I cannot blame them, since I didn't even fight for what I really wanted. I should fight to find my mate but now look where that led me. I was too late to get to him. Too late in putting things in place and for that I couldn't stop myself from crying.

It still hurts a lot, knowing now he did want me and that he did save me but decided to back off since he knew what he had done wrong. I just couldn't stop my aching heart even though I'm starting to like Aaron yet there's always a part of me that still longs for my mate.

"I know Aaron loves you El. So please promise me you will love him in return. Love him freely, and never look back. Whatever was in the past, I ask you to please leave them there? I want you to be happy."

He coughs and I nodded my head in agreement.

"I know I don't deserve this but I beg you of one thing" he breathes slowly meaning his time is coming to an end. He slips down again on the bed laying his back on the smooth satin sheet while I moved to make space.

"I promise I'll wait for you the next time and please promise to be there," he begs me.

"I don't know Eric" I sob

"I know maybe not in the next life but maybe in some other lifetime," he says, squeezing my hand. I thought about it for a moment and I wanted to have a chance of being in love with my real true mate so I nodded my head yes in response.

"I promise Eric," I say and without thinking I leaned forward kissing him on the lips sealing our promise with it.

I pull away and finally saw his chest slowly go up and down. "Thank you" was his last words. 

He died before my eyes with that genuine smile on his face. I stayed there for a while then I pushed myself up to leave. 

As I opened up the door and I came to face with Aaron who opens his arms wide and I run into them. Engulfing me to his chest as I cried out" he's gone." 

Unfollow My Heart