11 ; confrontation

here we GO

<3

Aang walked down the dirt path with confidence. That confidence didn't dwindle even as he reached Zuko's door step. It was silent inside, and a part of him thought maybe he wasn't there. But he knocked on the door anyways. 

Aang waited for a good minute before Zuko answered the door, "Listen, I don't have your fucking cat, I told you this yeste-"

He stopped mid sentence, as he opened his eyes. Aang adjusted his back pack and spoke. "I want to talk to you."

"Uh... now isn't a good time," He looked around. 

Aang didn't like that answer, so he took initiative, and pushed past Zuko into the trailer. The smell hit him like a train, it smelled so heavily of tea and smoke he almost choked. Zuko scoffed and closed the door behind him.

"What do you want?" He asked. 

"I... uh," Aang was distracted by the decor in the trailer. 

The place was filled with strange paintings and pictures, mostly of Zuko and the old man that had served them earlier. That must've been his uncle. There was a blue and white mask that looked like it was a family heirloom attatched to the wall, and of course, every wall was painted a different color.

"I wanted to talk to you," Aang said.

"Yeah, you said that already," Zuko shifted his weight onto the opposite foot. "About what?"

Aang turned around. "About why you've been avoiding me."

Zuko blinked several times and ignored him. Aang continued. "You told me we weren't friends... I don't... why?"

"Because. I can't have you anywhere near the mess that's going on in my family," Zuko said. "I just don't want you to get involved with my father. He's insane."

"Your dad is in jail, Zuko," Aang sighed. 

"He applied for parole," He said. "He might get out."

Aang swallowed thickly. He hadn't expected this. The reason wasn't Aang's fault, but more importantly, Zuko's world was falling apart around him. His father was trying to get out of jail. That meant he could also apply for custody if he got out.

"I'm sorry," Aang said. 

"It's whatever," Zuko sat down on the couch. 

Aang sat next to him and gently placed a hand on his arm. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," He said. "You don't want to listen to my self pity."

"Zuko, I don't think you realize how much I value you," Aang said. "I don't mind listening, if you're willing to vent to me. I'm here for you."

He looked at Aang with an expression so vulnerable he just wanted to hug him for eternity to try and make it better.  "If he gets out... I don't know if I'll be able to deal with it. There's no way I could ever see him, and I could be called to testify. I can't look at him."

Aang stayed silent, he didn't know how to respond. So Zuko continued. "It's not just that he killed my mom. He tried to take my life as well. In the dreams, I always imagine I killed him. But I didn't... I wasn't strong enough. I couldn't do that to my father even after what he did."

Zuko's eyes began to water, and warm tears streaked down his face. He quickly wiped them, but he couldn't stop the flow.

"He took the one person in my life who genuinely cared about my feelings," He pulled his knees up to his chest. "And then, he took any chance of being normal away. He.. caressed my cheek, and I thought it was going to be okay in that moment..."