27 ; Maia

hihihi

Her hair smelled like strawberries and vanilla, sweet, just like her. She was understanding, soft spoken, comforting. Zuko was addicted to her.

She didn't seem to care about his scar, or his inability to form connections, or the fact that he couldn't carry a conversation to save his life.

Zuko didn't remember her. He didn't remember a good chunk of that year, actually. Iroh never really thought to bring it up, because they had moved away since then, and now Iroh knew it would cause unnecessary pain.

Iroh still remembered Maia, though. Especially what she did to his nephew. There was a reason Iroh had always been so vague about the time Zuko was transferred.

Zuko knew he had been in the hospital one more time after his mother's death, but it was so cloudy he didn't think much of it. Iroh was there, and someone else who he couldn't exactly name.

Iroh knew Maia only visited him out of guilt. She felt like it was her fault, and in a way, it was. But Iroh forgave her, for he was just that kind of person.

After Zuko had confessed his feelings for this girl, ones of love, in front of her friends, Maia decided it was bad for her image. As sweet as she was, her two friends seemed more important, and she told him off, laughing at him and then, ignoring him as her friends continued to insult him.

Zuko was crushed, and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but after his recent almost-suicide, his mind was on the more weak side of the spectrum.

Iroh's mind faded in and out, then, and next thing that he knew, Zuko was in the hospital, with a pale face and blue lips. Oxygen deprived from the brain for so long that he was hooked on an oxygen machine for a week.

There weren't any lasting damages to his brain except for memory loss, and only for half of his year, give or take some. It was odd, to see Zuko not remember something that was so vivid in Iroh's mind.  He burned the rope, hoping that Zuko would never remember these things.

And then, Iroh woke up.

"He's awake!" Aang yelled, grabbing Zuko's shoulders. "Your uncle is awake!"

"I- What?" Zuko looked shaken. "How do you know?"

Students walked around them, like they were rocks in a stream. Aang had stopped him on the way to 4th period, ignoring the fact that his class was the complete opposite direction.

"I have to go see him," Zuko said, looking at the exit doors. "You do, too."

"Yeah, I know!" Aang grinned. "Come on, already, let's go. I told the nurse we were coming."

Zuko let out a laugh, sounding relieved, and dragged Aang by the hand towards his car. They ran in front of a car, on accident, but neither of them really noticed, even when the person blew on their horn.

Iroh was laying in bed, eyes closed. Zuko looked disappointed, suddenly. "I thought he was awake."

"He's just sleeping," Aang said. "Go poke him, I'll be outside."

Zuko nodded, and closed the door behind him. Aang could hear muffled voices from inside, and tapped his foot on the ground. He wondered if Iroh was okay. Well, obviously he was, he hadn't died, but mentally. Aang had never been in a coma before, he didn't know what the lasting mental health effects were.

It had been at least an hour since Zuko had closed the door. Aang held his second cup of coffee, if you could even call it that, sipping it slowly. The vending machines sucked ass at the hospital, and Toph wasn't there to entertain him.

When the door did open, Zuko looked solemn, eyes glazed over. "Did you want to say anything before we leave?"

"Oh, uhm," Aang felt the tension in the air, from the room, and shook his head. "No, we can go."

Zuko turned and left, shoving his hands into his hoodie. Aang quickly caught up to him, and gently tugged on his sleeve. Zuko looked at him, anger suddenly vanished from his eyes.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I just...." He started, and then sighed and stopped walking. "My uncle is very good at lying. I can tell he's lying to me."

"About what..?" Aang furrowed his brow.

"It's not important," Zuko said. Then, he regained his composure and gave an apologetic look to Aang. "Sorry, I'm... trying yo be more open. This topic is just touchy..."

"You don't have to tell me," Aang said immediately.

He shook his head. "No, uh... No one really knows this except me and my uncle. So, I'd appreciate if you kept it between us."

"I promise," Aang said.

"You don't have to promise, I know you won't," Zuko gave him a small smile. "Well... Beforr I moved here, I had an accident, and I lost a bit of my memory. Uh, I can't remember most of last year."

Aang didn't know how to respond, really. "So, your uncle is... lying?"

"Oh, right," Zuko ran a hand through his hair. "He tells me he doesn't know why I lost it, or how I ended up in the hospital. But recently, I've been remembering this girl. I don't know her name, or her face... Just that she was a very good friend. And that's all."

"Well, your uncle... He's very wise. I doubt he doesn't have a good reason for lying about this," Aang said. "Besides, he just woke up from a coma. Give him a few weeks and then ask, if you really need to know."

Zuko thought about it for a moment, and then nodded. He ruffled Aang's hair with his hand and smiled. "I'm fuckin' lucky you stuck around."

Aang blushed. "I guess you could call it luck."

A week later, it was almost the end of the year, and then they'd be seniors. Zuko had expressed having some difficulties with his schoolwork, and had enlisted a tutor.

Aang didn't like that he suddenly was spending so much time with her, even after tutoring lessons. She went to their school, and was, honestly, very pretty. Zuko talked to her during lunch, sometimes, and Aang watched them smile, and laugh occasionally.

Toph stayed with Aang, mostly to keep him company. They didn't talk much when Zuko wasn't around, communicating mostly through actions.

"I'm gonna go talk to her," Aang said, pushing away from the table.

"I'll be here," Toph said.

Aang could tell she was hurt by what Zuko had done, choosing a new friend instead of them. He could've just brought her to the table.

Aang's nerves started wracking up as he walked confidently towards Zuko and the girl. Zuko looked up at him, and gave a small wave.

"H-Hey," Aang stopped in front of them.

"Hi?" The girl smiled. She glanced at Zuko.

"Uh, this is Aang," Zuko pulled him closer by the arm.

"Nice to meet you," She held out her hand to shake. Aang took it. "My name is Maia."

sorry it's so short!

ewwww this chapter i hAted it but thats alright it's only here for plot

anyways have a nice day yall