thirty-one

I QUICKLY PULLED away when I heard footsteps approaching us from down the hall, I spy the bright colour of red decorating Harry's pale cheeks. I bite my lip to suppress the giggles and turned my head to spy Sirius hovering over the door.

Their meeting must've ended already. I pat Harry's leg and got up, switching glances between him and his Godfather. "I'll leave you two to talk." I walk out the room to give them some privacy and the last thing I heard while walking away from them was Sirius mentioning Harry's mom.

I sometimes forget how uncanny it must be for everyone else who knew Harry's parents to see me because of my face and name, and I don't see any offence in that. Lily Evans was a great student and Mother.

***

The next morning , I woke up to Harry sitting on the foot of my bed, I turned to find Hermione's bed is empty and let out a sigh. I haven't told her yet. I don't plan keeping this a secret but even I haven't wrapped my head around it just yet.

I smiled upon seeing him and rubbed my eyes to adjust my blurry vision. "Good Morning, Harry." I greet him and he returned the smile. I'm glad to see he looks livelier than the yesterday, he's got more colour in his face now.

I bet the talk with Sirius cheered him up.

"Good Morning, Lily." Harry greeted in return.

I pushed myself up and sat on the bed, trying to erase the fog off my mind. I grin at him. "I would kiss you but I haven't brushed my teeth yet."

Harry frowned. "I don't think I would mind."

I threw my head back to laugh and shook my head. "Nice try, Potter." I told him with a coy grin, slipping off the bed and walking towards the bathroom connected to this room.

I brushed my teeth in silence while I spy harry approaching me from behind with the help of the mirror and he wrapped his arms around my middle and I almost choked on my toothbrush from how sweet the moment was and how much adjusting I need to get used to.

I didn't think Harry would be the type to be affectionate but then again, from what I heard about his family, he must be touch starved. I quickly finished up because I wasn't sure how to feel about Harry watching me brush my teeth and I turned around with his arms still around me.

He's too cute.

"Can I get that kiss now?" He asked innocently, making me wanna punch him in the face. . .with my face. Softly.

"Since you asked so nicely," I cooed and pecked him on the lips. Quickly pulling away to push him aside and head back into the room to fix my bed. "How was your sleep?"

"I had a nightmare." Harry muttered quietly, hovering by the bathroom door with a tensed figure. I spied his clenched fists and let out a sigh, throwing my pillow on the bed as a finishing touch.

"It's just a dream , Harry," I assured him. "Let's go get breakfast. I'm starving."

***

Harry left with Tonks earlier, so I'm left to go around the house on my own to entertain myself and distract myself from the fact that Harry is in trial as of the moment for casting the patronous charm around his muggle cousin.

And while he is out, I thought it was the perfect timing to tell Hermione of the news, I'll leave Ron to Harry. He can handle that git while I braid Hermione's hair at the moment.

We're seated in the living room, I occupied a couch while Hermione is comfortable on the floor, a book perched on her lap and her head tilted back to have we weaving my fingers through them. Thankfully Hermione's hair isn't as messy as she described it to be in her first year.

I'm not one to beat around the bush so I just spat it out. "Harry and I are dating now." I told her and she shut the book so quickly it made a loud slapping noise and she turned to face me with a beaming smile.

"I'm so happy for you!" She squealed and pulled me to a hug, which was a bit awkward given the position but I returned it. She pulled away to then frown. "How exactly did that happen?"

"Yesterday, he asked me if we could give us a. . .try." I told her with a small smile which quickly widened when she grinned widely at me.

"I'm glad you too are finally together! You'd make each other so happy," Hermione let out a wistful sigh. "I'm a bit jealous you two have each other during these trying times."

I frown at her and crossed my arms. "We have each other Hermione, so no talks like that." I told her and she nodded with a giggle.

"Does this mean you're gonna be sleeping in his room tonight?" Hermione asked with her brows furrowed. I shook my head in panic.

"Merlin, no!" I told her incredulously. "That's. . .too much. We're taking things slow, at least, I think we are?"

***

I heard the commotion downstairs and assumed Harry had returned but I decided against rushing downstairs, given I'm two lines away from finising the letter I'm writing and just as I finished signing my name, Harry appeared.

"I'm guessing that smile means you got off?" I asked and he nodded. I smiled at the great news.

"I thought you were sworn off writing letters?" Harry frowned looking at the letters I had in my transfigured table, cortesy of Tonks.

"Yes," I shrugged. "To you but not to anyone else."

"Who are those for?" Harry asked, taking a step closer to inspect my letters.

"For Draco and Rose." I answered.

"I don't get why you're friends with him," Harry said exasperatedly. "Truly."

"Me too if I'm gonna be honest, but Draco treats me well and we have a mutual respect for each other, in a way." I told him.

"I guess it's time for me to give up trying to understand your friendship," Harry let out a sigh and pulled a chair to place it next to mine. "My scar is starting to hurt more and more."

"I've been told, so I'm writing to Rose about it."

"What would Rose know about my scar hurting?"

I immediately noticed my mistake and shook my head. "She's very keen at divinations, she might know a thing or two."

Harry nodded along my words, I hate to be lying to him but it's not my secret to tell. I did manage to ask in the letter if I could tell Harry about it because her abilities could really help us.

"You look worn out," I told him and he just nodded again. I'm guessing being put in trial at 15 and having the minister hate you takes its toll. "You can have a nap on my bed."

"How about you?"

"What?" I asked with a snort. "You inviting me to sleep with you, Potter?"

"What if I am, Evans?"

Damn that Potter charm because I shoved my letters away to settle on the bed with him draping an arm over my waist and I watched as his eyes slowly closed. His jaw unclenching and shoulders relaxing. I just wish I could do something to help him.

More than just being here for him. I wanna take some of the burden off his shoulders, he's too young to be carrying the weight of the world. Too young to have the faith of the entire wizarding world resting on his hand.

I just wish whatever future Rose sees in a victory for all of us. 

-