Chapter 2- The Loosening

" You know my little friend, you are incredibly gifted in the force." 

"Awh come on master. Let's face it, I'm nothing much in the eyes of the Jedi. How do you even consider me as one? How am I to-"

"Listen, Reetha. Please listen. I'll be honest, your not the typical Jedi, but a Jedi non the less. I would not trade the last few years of teaching you for anything."

"Master... thank you... thank you so much..."

................................................................................................................................................................

Reetha's eyes slowly open, adjusting to the dim light in the room. While in her thoughts, she drifted of to sleep. Thankfully she had woken up for she was starting to get hungry.

She stepped out of her room after a refreshing bath. The corridor was quiet. She liked it that way, not having to bump into people helped to calm her nerves.

"Oufff, sorry. I bumped into you... So sorry... uhm... oh.. It's.. you..uhmm.."

"Rex. It's Rex. And no worries. I didn't get hurt. " Rex smiled kindly to the  padawan. "You alright?"

Reetha flashed a small shy smile "Yeah. I'm good." 

"Sooo.... I was just heading to the mess. I figure your headed there as well. It is about dinner time."

"Well, yes actually. I was headed there myself." Rex raised an eyebrow and looked towards the direction she was headed earlier and chuckled to himself. "In that case you might want to follow me. Your kind of headed in the wrong direction." He pointed towards his direction. " Ahaha... ha... well.. I was.. I..well. I mean... I knew that." Reetha said in a small tone. She directed her eyes to her feet out of embarrassment.  She was internally cursing herself. 'Damn it, how could I get my directions wrong!' 

" No worries commander. I could show you there if you'd like?" Rex offered. Reetha thought for a second and accepted the friendly captains offer. While walking, both Rex and Reetha talked a little. Reetha making little effort to start conversations, but replying to Rex when he asked her any questions. She would not have put this small conversation the 'awkward talks' category, but rather found talking to the captain was quite comforting. 

Soon they reached the mess. When the doors opened, Reetha could hear the blended conversation of others at dinner. A sudden chill ran up her spine. She knew that if she walked into the mess, she'd had to somehow engage in conversation. After all, she could not just simply avoid contact with any person. The mess was full of people. Rex walked in before her, but turned around when he realiased she had froze at the door. 

Reetha's nervous black eyes scanned the room. She begged her feet to move but the would not budge. Rex noticed this and walked to her, extending his hand. "Hey. You don't have to worry. I know your nervous, and honestly, is alright to be that way. Why don't you just sit with me?" Rex saw the padawan's hesitation and figured that she might be still nervous. "That is, if you are comfortable with it." Reetha's shoulders visibly relaxed. She took his hand, as Rex slowly coaxed her into the mess. 

Walking in, she saw many clones. Some where just sitting down having drinks, some eating, others just laughing and having fun conversations. Some of the clones that noticed her gave her friendly waves and 'Hello's', to which she replied with small nods and waves. Despite everyone being friendly, she was still on edge and walked closer to Rex, which honestly surprised her.

Reetha and Rex settled down at a table by a corner. "How's the grub commander?" "It's not bad. I wont complain if I get to eat." Rex let out an airy laugh as Reetha replied with a mouth full of food. "Well, I'm glad you got an appetite." "I'll be honest. I think I'd still be wondering this ship to look for the mess if I hadn't bumped into you." "You know, if you feel lost you can just ask anyone on board for directions." Reetha's eyes fell slightly to the table. "Right. "  

Rex noticed her keeping her eyes on the table. He let out a sigh "Hey.." he said as gentle as possible. Reetha lifted her head. "You okay commander?" Her eyes glossed a little. "Yeah.. I just... I'm sorry. I'm not used to 'friendly conversations'. I guess I'm.. socially awkward." She carried her eyes to meet Rex's brown ones. 

"Sorry. I didn't mean to just let-" "Kid." Rex cut her off. "It's alright. You can talk to me if you want, and I'll listen." Reetha looked at her hands. "And I don't think you socially awkward. I just think you need to adjust to changes according to your time." He said with a gentle smile. Reetha sighed silently. For the first time on this ship, she actually felt comfortable talking to someone. "Thanks. I really appreciate it. I truly do." She smiled at Rex.

Thankfully, dinner was just the two of them. Reetha could not have been more happy that she had let out a tiny bit of her insecurity to Rex. If anyone else had been there, she'd piss herself. Now, Rex and Reetha were walking down to a hangout room in the Resolute. Somehow, the Jaig eyed bucket captain had convinced her to meet some of his brothers. He said it would be good to know adleast a few people on board, aside from himself, Ahsoka and General Skywalker. 

"Is this really necessary?" "Mhmm." " 'Mhmm' is not an answer." "Mhmm." "Captain..." "Commander." "Do I have to? We can do it tomorrow. How bout rain check?" Rex tiled his head slightly towards her. "Commander, you'll be fine. I'll be there with you." 

They walked a few steps before Reetha slowed down and stopped. Rex turned around as he saw her figure slowly stop. He had noticed that she was fiddling with the zipper of her sleeveless vest that she wore. "Commander..." he called out softly while walking closer to her. She didn't look up. "Kid.." He tried again. 

Rex closed his eyes beneath his helmet, and lifted the bucket of his head. The hiss of his helmet drew Reetha's attention to him. "Reetha... I know you don't feel comfortable doing this. But, I think you should give this guys a chance." He gently said to her, as he hesitantly placed a comforting hand to her shoulder. 

When she did not flinch he continued. "You'll like these guys. My brothers. But, if you are really not up to it, I can walk you to your room." Reetha considered his words. A part of her wanted to just go back to her gloomy room, but she also wanted to loosen up a little. "Let's do it." She smiled to Rex. "Let's meet your bros." He smiled back and patted her shoulder. "Alright then." 

He turned to walk. When she fell in step with him, he offered her his helmet. "Here, hold this. I realized you fidget when you  get nervous." She took the helmet but questioned his action. "So, the helmet is supposed to help how?"

 "Well, you got long finger nails. I figured you could pick out the paint from my helmet when you get nervous." Rex said with a teasing tone. Reetha's eyes widened slightly as a small smile graced her lips. "Hey! I'm not that fidgety." 

"Sure.. We'll see when I repaint helmet." "Well.... maybe I wont be nervous. Hah! I bet I won't be nervous at all." Reetha sasses. "Hmm well, we'll see." Rex sasses back with some laughter. Though all this was new to her, Reetha couldn't help but let out a snicker. She tried to control it but it broke into a laugh. If obviously didn't help when Rex laughed along with her. 'May be I should loosen up more' she thought to herself.