Chapter 4: Downfall

JiMina, Jeongin, Beomgyu, and Ryujin

Jimin glances outside and sighs as he notices the group of zombies roaming around. He whispers, "There's so many of them. It wasn't like this last time."

Mina and Jeongin then walk in the room to hand out some food and rations. They took refuge at a nearby restaurant. It was empty when they went in so it wasn't a hassle to get comfy.

Ryujin and Beomgyu just sit next to each other in silence while Mina says, "Eat up then sleep. We'll gas up the car and get moving tomorrow morning, okay?"

Everyone remains quiet and Mina gently places the food on the ground. Ryujin eyes it then turns to Beomgyu who's only looking at his clenched fists with sweat dripping down his temple.

"What happened to my family? Are they as scared as I am? Did they make it out alive?" These thoughts continue to run through his mind and as Ryujin softly places her hand on his, he flinches.

Beomgyu looks up to meet her eyes and notices the tears, he whispers, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Ryujin tries to smile softly to hide her sadness and she says, "Let's eat, I'm starving."

Jeongin sits in front of them and says, "This is all mom and I could find but I'm pretty sure it's enough." The three eat in silence as Mina and Jimin stare out the window.

Jimin says, "So it really is happening again, I wonder why..." Mina nods and says, "Is it weird that I'm more scared this time?" He turns his head and she says, "I know last time I basically did nothing and was practically bedridden. But I was scared, I didn't know if I was going to die or not but... Now, I don't even mind dying. I'm more scared of losing Ryujin or Jeongin."

Jimin whispers, "But this time, we're more prepared. We're not going to lose anyone and we're going to deal with it like we did last time."

"It's snowing."

Jimin and Mina suddenly turn to see Jeongin staring out the window.

He says, "It's so white and-"

CRASH

Suddenly, a crash through the window echoes the room. The shattering of glass and the sudden explosion of noise causes Ryujin to shriek in fear.

Beomgyu instinctively hides Ryujin behind him while Mina can only stare in fear. Jimin was quick to run and help. The screams echoed the room.

"JEONGIN! RUN!"

Mina continued to stand frozen at the sudden shock. Beomgyu feared for Ryujin's life so he couldn't dart into action. Ryujin hid in fear behind Beomgyu's body. Jimin darted towards the window where Jeongin stood.

They never broke windows before. Why now? Mina's heart stops as she can only stare the sight.

Her only son standing with widened eyes and blood dripping down his chest.

Jimin tried to run. He tried to warn him. But he wasn't fast enough.

Now stood Jeongin, who was marveling at the white snow outside, with a zombie biting straight into his neck. The shock overcame the pain and he just stood there in disbelief.

Jimin made it to his side and punched the zombie trying to break Jeongin free but the monster only pulled the boy out the window.

Under the snow and cold streets, Jimin tries his best to wrestle with the zombie trying to break his son free while holding his tears back. His hands start to tremble in nervousness once the zombie's jaw never loosens. His tears threaten to break free as all he could hear were the growls of the zombie and the calls from his son.

"D-dad? I don't want to die."

Jimin curses as he reaches for his pockets but he can only yell in anger once he realizes that his gun wasn't there. He stands to turn to Mina but instead is greeted by another zombie. The monster jumps onto him but he throws it aside. He didn't want to abandon Jeongin but the only way to save him was to get the gun.

Another zombie attacked him and tackled him onto the ground and all he could do was hold it by the neck to prevent the bite. Jimin yells, "MINA! THE GUN! I NEED THE GUN!"

Mina runs out into the snow with the pistol in her hand but continues to sweat despite the freezing temperature. Another zombie creeped up on Jimin and Mina could only let out a pathetic warning, "Jimin, watch-"

Her voice being overpowered by the zombie growls and Jimin's grunt. Jimin yells as the zombie bites his leg. Mina points a the gun with unsteady hands and teary eyes. She can't think properly. She can't focus. She's too scared.

"What if I hit Jimin? What if I miss?" The doubts start filling her mind and her breath starts to break. She suddenly can't breathe anymore and her vision gets clouded by tears.

Suddenly, something passes by Mina. Her eyes weren't focused but she knows that was Beomgyu. It was a tall figure and he held two things in his hand.

Beomgyu found an aerosol can inside the restaurant and used the lighter that Jimin brought out earlier. He made a makeshift flamethrower and tried to burn the zombies off them. But his plan went into shambles once he realized it was too cold outside for the heat have any effect. He curses and drops the items on the ground.

With a loud yell, Beomgyu kicks the zombies off Jimin and Jeongin. He continues to sprint to Mina and grabs the gun out of her hands. He shoots both the zombies then turns to Jimin and Jeongin.

Jeongin already turned into a zombie and was emanating small growls. Jimin grabbed Beomgyu's arm and whispers, "Run."

Beomgyu glances at Mina, who's on the ground frozen in shock, and at Ryujin who waited in fear inside the restaurant.

Jimin mutters in his last words, "It's too cold for a lighter to even reach the parasite. You need to run away and protect Mina and Ryujin." Beomgyu curses once he sees Jeongin pounce on him.

Beomgyu backs away and dodges the zombie. He looks back at Jimin who stares at him with pleading eyes before his pupils grow white.

Beomgyu pockets the gun and grabs the lighter. He runs towards Mina and carries her over his shoulder. With Mina on his shoulder and Ryujin's hand on his, Beomgyu sprints away looking for any safe place for them to stay.

To be continued...