Chapter 8: Broken

Mina, Ryujin, and Beomgyu

Beomgyu stares outside for a few seconds and once he notices the lack of zombies, he finally relaxes. He exhales and stretches his back and shoulders.

Beomgyu grabs a nearby chair and blocks the door. He places even more chairs on top of that chair to create an even bigger barricade. They found a nearby convenience store and he carried Mina and lead Ryujin there.

Beomgyu sighs again and his eyes stay fixed onto one thing. His breath.

It's too cold to do anything. He quickly goes to the cash register and opens it. After grabbing wads of cash, he looks around for something flammable.

Ryujin sits in silence in front of Mina. It's awkward. She didn't know what to say or what to feel. Half her family just disappeared and she can't do anything about it.

She already fought with Mina but now she's the only one left. Ryujin's eyes carefully look up to her mother and she sees a blank look in her eyes. Mina sits on the ground hugging her knees with her eyes glued to the ground.

Beomgyu comes out of nowhere and drops loads of cash in front of them. Ryujin turns her head and he drops lighter fluid in the money then ignites it.

Beomgyu then places a blanket over both the ladies and hand them bottles of water.

Ryujin whispers, "Thank you..." Beomgyu just nods and lies on his back. He's tired. He's emotionally scarred. And the worst part was that he couldn't be weak. Not right now.

Beomgyu sits back up and Ryujin eyes him. To her surprise, he sits next to her mom.

Beomgyu awkwardly places his arm around her shoulder and pats her arm reassuringly. Ryujin can only stare at him in confusion as he comforts her mom.

Beomgyu then looks up to meet her eyes and he winks.

Ryujin blushes, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" After a few more minutes, Mina finally fell asleep and Beomgyu gently laid her down.

He then stands and moves towards Ryujin. To her surprise instead of comforting her like he did to Mina, Beomgyu takes the blanket off of her.

Ryujin's eyes widen but she relaxes once she feels him back hug her. Beomgyu gently pulls her down so she's lying in his arms with her head lying on his biceps.

He whispers, "We're so fucked." Ryujin replies, "You're really optimistic."

Beomgyu says, "I really want to cry right now." Ryujin whispers back, "I'll cry if you cry..."

He asks playfully, "You won't judge me?" Ryujin rolls her eyes, "Maybe a little, depends how hard you cry."

Beomgyu says, "If you feel your back getting wet, it's not my tears." Ryujin whispers, "If you hear sobbing, it's the wind."

They soon lie there in comfort. Their eyes stayed glued to the fire in the middle of the room and their ears are filled with sounds of sizzling and quiet sobs.

Yeonjun and Yeji

They got the generator to work and to their luck, the land owner stocked up on fuel as if he was ready to bunker up.

Yeji looked around her small room and realized that Yeonjun wasn't making any sounds. Anxiety starts to fill her head and she slowly walked out.

In fear of running out of fuel, they decided that the only thing they'd use the power for was heaters. The lights stayed off and it was almost pitch black.

Yeji walked around with her hands moving in the front. She didn't want to bump into anything but she was scared. Yeonjun usually walked around humming a song or trying to talk to her. Even when he didn't speak, she felt safe hearing his footsteps around the hallway.

But it was silent.

Yeji unknowingly teared up as the thought of being left alone worried her. Her eyes then dart to a small light.

It's the moon.

A window was open and she quickly ran to it. She recognized the spot as it was where they first entered. Yeji sees Yeonjun staring at the street while sitting on the fire escape.

Yeji slowly sits next to him and realizes that the ladder they were trying to drop down was extended.

Yeji turns back to Yeonjun who looked at the road as if he was waiting for someone.

Yeonjun asks, "I thought you were sleeping." Yeji replies, "I couldn't sleep and I was worried that you left me or something happened." He smiles and turns to her, "I'd never leave you." She blushes and nods her head as he looks back out into the streets. Yeji noticed that the ladder that was frozen shut before was opened and extended downwards.

As if he could read her mind, Yeonjun says, "I finally got the ladder to drop. Maybe they'll come back."

Yeji says softly, "Yeonjun, I don't think-" He turns his head towards her and keeps that hopeful look, "They have to comeback."

Yeji bites her lip and whispers, "Hypothetically speaking, what if they don't?"

Yeonjun sighs, "Then I'll feel like I murdered someone." She says quickly, "It wasn't your fault." Yeonjun says, "It is my fault! If they never found us then I bet they'll be alive. We were better off dead than they were!"

Yeji's eyes widen and he says, "They tried so hard to help us but I couldn't do anything. I feel so useless and guilty."

Yeji whispers, "They chose to help us, they must've preferred us to live over them. They seemed like the type of people who would die for anyone. Putting ourselves in danger would only be undoing what they did for us."

Yeonjun whispers, "But why? Why would they care about us more? We're nobodies.
We're just kids. They were a family. They loved each other. Me? I don't love you, I barely even know you! So why would they help complete strangers!"

Yeji's heart clenches. It's true, they never met each other. It's true, they don't love each other. But why did it hurt when he said he didn't love her. She starts to think. Chaeyoung and Yoongi were talking about something before the snow came. They talked about a safe haven, maybe if she convinces Yeonjun they're alive then he'll bring his mind out of the gutter.

Yeji whispers, "Jin."

Yeonjun turns to her confused and she continues, "Remember they said something about Jin! I was too shocked at the moment to remember but I swear it was important. What was it..."

Yeonjun asks, "Jin? Yeji, you're thinking about a guy? I'm here alone with you and ranting about a couple who risked their lives for us and you're thinking about a guy?"

A hint of jealousy tainted his words but Yeji ignored it as she snapped her fingers, "Jin's hotel! They talked about going there. Maybe they went there and are safe and sound."

Yeonjun raises an eyebrow, "Oh right, do you think they made it out alive and are waiting for us?" Yeji smiles trying to be reassuring, "I bet they did." He slowly creeps up a smile as warmth fills his heart.

Yeji then asks, "So are you gonna come inside now? Or are you going to keep waiting out in the cold?" Yeonjun says, "It's not that cold out here." Yeji raises her eyebrows, "Are you not cold? I'm freezing."

She spoke in a happier tone. Maybe she convinced herself that Chaeyoung and Yoongi did survive.

That tone and smile brought warmth into Yeonjun's cheeks. Fortunately, it was too dark for Yeji to see. Yeonjun says, "Then let's head inside before you turn into a Yeji popsicle."

To be continued...