Chapter 12: Break in

Ryujin and Beomgyu

Ryujin yells, "LET ME GO! YOU CAN'T JUST LET MY MOM RUN OFF TO DIE!" Beomgyu stays quiet in her hold as she begins to cry, "I HATE YOU! I'LL NEVER LOVE YOU! YOU RUINED MY LIFE!"

He continues to hug her tightly as the words shoot through his heart leaving him broken. He close his eyes as the tears almost fall and whispers, "It's what she wanted."

flashback

Beomgyu stirs awake as a hand constantly pushes him. He groans and says, "Ryujin, what do-"

A hand is suddenly over his mouth and his eyes widen. Beomgyu thrashes to the side and to his surprise, Mina stares right at him. She points with her head and gestures him to move away from Ryujin and he quietly follows her.

He's face to face with Mina and his head slightly tilts down to keep eye contact. Mina whispers, "I'm gonna leave you two."

Beomgyu's eyes widen and whispers, "What? Why? What about Ryujin?" Mina replies quietly, "Just listen to me, okay?" He nods his head and she says, "I'm going to look for Jimin and Jeongin. I'm going to cure them and I'm gonna meet up with you."

Beomgyu almost scoffs out loud and whispers, "With all due respect Ryujin's mom, I think that's a stupid plan. How are you going to find them? What if you die? Do you think Ryujin will just let you run away again?"

Mina says calmly, "Don't worry about me. I survived one apocalypse and now that I'm in the right mindset, I'll survive this one. Here."

She hands him the phone she found in the broken down bus and she says, "The people who recorded this video are probably the most qualified zombie hunters in the world. I'm finding them first then I'll look for my family. So if you're worried about me, I won't be alone."

Beomgyu says, "But-" Mina interrupts, "Which is why I need you do bring this phone to Jin's hotel. It's called Saranghae Hotel and it's the largest hotel in the area. It will be the only building with electricity. It would be obvious once you see it."

Beomgyu stutters, "B-but, we can't do this without you. You shouldn't leave Ryujin, she'll be heartbroken." Mina whispers, "I can't run at my pace with you two. I'll just bring you in dangerous positions and I'll have to worry about protecting Ryujin."

Beomgyu looks at her and notices the determined look in her eyes. Mina hugs him and whispers in his ear, "You're the only boy I've ever met that I trust Ryujin with. I know that you two will be able to survive as long as you're careful and slow. If you still want to stop me, don't because this is what I want."

She backs away and says, "Promise me Ryujin stays safe." Beomgyu whispers, "I promise." Mina turns her back and says before leaving, "You better not break that promise like... like me. Head to Saranghae Hotel safely and you'll be safe. Bye."

Beomgyu stays quiet as he pockets the phone and turns to the sleeping Ryujin with concerned eyes.

Flashback end

"LET GO OF ME! WE'RE THROUGH! I JUST BROKE UP WITH YOU! LET ME FIND MY MOM! PLEASE!"

Beomgyu never moves a muscle. Ryujin just stays trapped in his arms struggling. She finally starts to weaken and she breaks into tears, "Please... I-I can't lose her... I still have to pay her back... none of this would have happened if I stayed in the car... please..."

Beomgyu relaxes his hold as he feels her weaken. Ryujin starts to fall down slowly and Beomgyu descends with her. She whispers in a barely audible tone, "Beomgyu?"

Beomgyu finally talks, "What was that?" She repeats in the same volume, "Beomgyu?" He nears his ear to listen to her and Ryujin immediately headbutts him causing him to groan.

Beomgyu falls back and Ryujin sprints out.

His eyes widen and chases after her.

Ryujin yells, "MOM!! MOM!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!! MOM!!!!" Beomgyu curses as he sprints after her. His eyes continue to look around in case any zombie hears or notices them. Ryujin continues to run but Beomgyu inevitably catches her.

He runs by her side and quickly picks her up. With all his strength, Beomgyu puts Ryujin on his shoulder and slows to a stop.

Ryujin tries to struggle but Beomgyu blows up, "CAN YOU PLEASE WORK WITH ME!" Ryujin freezes and he yells trying to keep himself from crying, "PLEASE!" Ryujin stays quiet and Beomgyu stumbles to his knees. He lets her down and tears up, "I don't know what happened to my family or my friends. I promised your dad I would protect you and your mother. Now your mom ran off telling me that this was the better choice. Then I promised her to protect you but you make it so hard because you're so caring and you want to protect your mom even though she doesn't want your protection."

His voice gets weak, "So please... just listen. Look, Ryujin I'm sorry. I should have stopped her and I should have not let her just leave you but... your mom looked so determined and so set on what she wanted to do. She kept insisting that you were safer this way and that I shouldn't worry about her. So I trusted her and I promised. I promised that I would protect you and make sure that I keep that promise until the day I die. So please... listen to me."

Ryujin stands still and whispers, "I'm sorry." He stands to meet her eyes and they glance at each other face to face. Ryujin whispers, "I'm sorry. I should have asked how you felt and what you thought. I just got carried away with my emotions and its traumatizing seeing half your family get turned into zombies but I didn't think about how you felt. You didn't even get to see your family or friends. So... I'm sorry."

Beomgyu sighs and relaxes. He looks at where they're at and whispers in the quiet mood, "This place looks familiar." Ryujin looks around and whispers, "Y-yeah. We should find somewhere to hide before the zombies run to our screaming."

Beomgyu says, "Yeah." Ryujin turns to him and says, "I know I keep saying it but... I'm sorry. We can talk more once we find a safe place." He just nods his head and his eyes turn to a familiar house.

He points, "There. That's my friend's house."

Ryujin turns and says, "Isn't that Taehyun's house?" Beomgyu turns to her defensively, "How do you know where Taehyun lives? I get he's our friend and all but I've never heard him mention his house location around you." She replies, "We played together when we were little. Our parents were friends but we never really talked about it with you guys." Beomgyu says, "We can hide there."

They go to his front door and try to open it but it's locked. Ryujin shoves Beomgyu away and says, "Watch and learn." Ryujin quickly charges the door like an American football player and smashes it with her shoulder.

It doesn't open and Beomgyu snorts.

Beomgyu says, "I have a better idea." He picks up a rock and throws it at the window.

CRASH

The window shatters and Ryujin rolls her eyes, "That's so lame. You should have tackled it, it would've looked cooler and hotter."

Beomgyu points at the other window, "I can tackle that one." She chuckles, "Too late, prince charming. I lost all respect for you." He pouts and says, "Come on, lets get inside."

To be continued...