Chapter 7: Downfall [4]

TaeSana, Taehyun, and Chaeryeong

Taehyun slowly flutters her eyes open as he feels warmth in his arms. He slowly realizes that Chaeryeong fell asleep on his bed and he was hugging her. A heated blush creeps on his cheeks and he instinctively moves away.

Chaeryeong stirs awake and as she looks around and realizes where she's at, she also turns red. The two turned flustered and stare at each other awkwardly.

Taehyun stutters, "I-I... We-"

Chaeryeong adds, "I-I... I didn't-"

Taehyun says in fear, "I promise, I didn't touch you! I don't even remember falling asleep!" Chaeryeong says being too shy to even make eye contact, "R-right, we were just talking and talking. Nothing happened." He repeats, "Nothing, happened."

Taehyun says with a blush, "And my parents don't need to know." Chaeryeong says, "No one needs to know. Anyway, we did absolutely nothing. We just slept." He nods, "Yes, we just closed our eyes. Nothing at all happened between us physically."

Chaeryeong can only nod in awkward agreement as she slightly creates a safe distance between them. They're still sitting on Taehyun's bed in awkward silence.

Taehyun asks, "Do you want some water or any drinks?" Chaeryeong says, "Y-yeah, sure."

He smiles and stands from his bed and she follows right after. Taehyun slowly opens the door to not wake his parents but his eyes dart to the lights downstairs.

They're still on. Which means his parents were still awake some time after midnight. Taehyun raises his eyebrow and jumps in shock as he hears the crashing of glass downstairs.

He turns to Chaeryeong to see her equally scared eyes. The two slowly sneak their way to the stairs to try and secretly take a glance at what's happening.

"Are we getting robbed? Did someone break in?"

They slowly look at the mess downstairs. The first thing they notice is the shattered mug with chocolate on the ground. Taehyun thinks, "Oh, maybe they were having a midnight snack and dropped the mug."

He then tries to walk down the stairs but Chaeryeong holds him back. He looks at her alarmed and quickly notices her widened eyes and dropped jaws.

She shockingly points back at the ground and Taehyun looks down again. He almost screams seeing the hideous beast walking downstairs. He puts his hand over his mouth just to make sure no noise comes out and tears start to flow.

Fortunately, the tears blocked his vision so he couldn't continue to look at the scene but the memory continues to replay in his head. The vivid sight of his father turned into a zombie with blood dripping from his mouth.

His father who wouldn't hurt a single person on purpose was now a beast who'd only know how to hurt people.

Taehyun almost fell down the stairs in pure shock but Chaeryeong pulled him into a tight hug turning him around. She says in a soft whisper, "I-I... You shouldn't keep looking. L-Let's go to your room and lock the doors. W-we're not safe out here."

Taehyun did not reply at all. He just stood there with his hand still over his mouth and his eyes still flowing with tears. Chaeryeong brought him back to his room trying to keep a reassuring smile and trying to look brave just for him. She says, "I-I'm sorry about what happened.... W-we can't do anything right now except survive."

He continues to stay silent and Chaeryeong tries to keep her smile. She gently leads him onto his bed and turns him so he faces the wall. After tucking him in, she slowly walks away and grabs a chair in his room.

Taehyung hears her put it on the door to add extra security and his brain suddenly comes back.

He slowly turns to apologize to her and offer her the bed to sleep on. But as he sees her open the window of his room and stick her head out, he pauses confused.

Chaeryeong throws up outside the window and he notices her legs starting to give out.

Chaeryeong has never been a violent person and she was emotionally weak despite her cold and strong looks. The sight of blood was enough to make her gag but seeing the zombies up close right after a kill almost broke her. She pretended to be brave because she felt bad for Taehyun. She thought it was unfair for her to suddenly act weak when he's in a much worse scenario.

So she tried to hide it, but they were just teens. They were still in high school. They weren't strong like his parents or his parents' friends. They haven't even drank alcohol yet.

JiNayeon, Soobin, Lia, Huening Kai, and Yuna

"Who are you?"

Hyuka turns around and protectively hides Yuna behind him. Yuna yells, "Please! Our friends are out there. They need your help!"

Nayeon yells, "WHO ARE YOU?!"

Jin pulls her back, "You're scaring the poor children." Nayeon walks closer to them keeping her fearful gaze.

Nayeon holds Hyuka by his shoulders and says, "How did you know about this place? Who told you about us? Where are they?"

Kai is confused on whether he should be scared or in love as the older woman continues to yell at him.

Yuna yells in the cover of his back, "They're still outside! They're names are... what was there names?" Kai speaks up, "Jungkook and Tzuyu."

Nayeon's eyes widen and she freezes, "W-we have to help.... W-why are they zombies awake.... it's still noon? We can't just leave Tzuyu and Jungkook out there!"

Jim stares back at her with worried eyes because he knows that they couldn't do anything. She stares outside and notice the large horde of zombie crowding a spot on the road.

She knows they're gone. Nayeon just doesn't want to believe it.

Jin walks up, "You kids should-"

"NINGNING!"

"Yuna?"

Huening Kai turns to the side and his eyes widen, "Hyung?"

Yuna looks up, "Lia."

Lia runs at her with tears and jumps onto the younger girl embracing her in a hug, while Kai stands still and gets tackled onto the ground by Soobin. Lia cries holding onto the youngest while Soobin can't help but carry him and swing him around like a father meeting his kid for the first time in a while.

Meanwhile, Nayeon continues to stare outside and Jin places his hand on her shoulder, "Relax. They'll all come here and when we're reunited, we'll save the maknaes. I promise."

to be continued