Chapter 14: The Stray Kid

Yeonjun and Yeji

Yeonjun stares at the fridge. He's no meat expert but by the looks of it, if they keep the refrigerator powered up the entire time, then they have enough food for weeks.

But that's another problem, the generator. It's running out of fuel and he doesn't know how to solve their problem. He's not an electrician nor will high school education help him be one.

Yeonjun turns to Yeji who's sleeping quietly on the couch. That's another problem.

He's madly in love.

Weeks of being alone with the girl only made his crush worst. He'd start to notice all the little things about her and it's driving him crazy. Yeonjun doesn't know if he should confess or not because if it's awkward between them then they'll have no one.

Yeonjun also wants to save her and the thought of Jin's hotel echoes through his mind. If Chaeyoung and Yoongi made it out alive, then they would be there. If that was an option for a safe haven, then there would be others there. There would be people more capable than himself to protect Yeji.

THUD

Yeonjun almost jumps hearing the loud thump on the wall. It sounded like someone headbutted the door. He walks out the kitchen and glances at the door. His eyes narrow in on it trying to make up excuses for the sudden noise.

"It can be the wind."

THUD

Yeonjun almost curses as the sound is in fact coming from the door.

He quietly and sneakily makes his way to the gun on the coffee table. They've always stayed in this specific apartment so it was the only one with the lights on. He starts to panic as he regrets leaving them on and not locking the door. His mind starts to think of ways to get Yeji out of here safely and what to do after that.

He starts to stress out because he just remembered that he can only help her if he can wake up Yeji who's laying on the couch fully asleep.

THUD

Another loud thump on the door starts to scare Yeonjun because he can see the door starting to budge.

Yeji slowly woke up due to the sounds and she turns to Yeonjun who's hand is already clutched onto the gun with his other hand signaling her to be quiet. Yeji bites her lip and Yeonjun almost forgets there's a zombie out there to kill them as he stares at her luscious lips. He shakes his head and turns back to the door. He gestures Yeji to quietly walk to him and she tries her very best to stay quiet.

However, Yeonjun almost screams once he sees the doorknob being turned open.

He places both hands on the gun to keep it stable and focuses directly on the door. He can kill about 12 zombies with this magazine alone, that should be enough time for Yeji to get to safety.

The door slowly opens and Yeonjun starts to sweat bullets.

...

....

....

....

"CHAN! CHAN! WHERE ARE YOU!?"

Suddenly, the thuds stop and the thing that was hitting their door calms down. Yeonjun and Yeji exchange glances. Yeji whispers, "It's a girl..." Yeonjun hushes her lips with his finger and she stares down at it as he touches her lips.

Yeonjun whispers, "Stay here okay? I'll check if-"

Suddenly, the female voice outside starts talking.

"Chan! There you are! Umm.... Hey, there buddy. Just calm down and please wait for Hyun- AHHH!"

Yeonjun's eyes widen as he sprints towards the door in panic.

The girl yells, "HYUNJIN! HE'S HERE! HURRY UP!"

Yeonjun slams the door opens and glances at the girl who gripped a zombie by its neck to keep it from biting her. The girl's eyes widen seeing the gun in Yeonjun's hand and she yells, "WAIT! DON'T-"

Yeonjun doesn't listen to her and pulls the trigger. But, someone's hand takes a hold of his and redirected his aim towards the wall.

BANG

Yeonjun's eyes widen as he glances at the slightly shorter guy. The guy pushes the gun out his hands and quickly runs to the girl. He grips the zombie in a tight bear hug and the girl immediately stands and glances at Yeonjun. She says a bit surprised, "You're human."

Yeonjun nods his head and Hyunjin turns to him and says, "You got any rope-" He suddenly pauses seeing the tall girl walk beside him. Hyunjin stares at her in awe as Yeji covers her mouth with her hand.

The other girl and Yeonjun glance at them wondering what the connection is. Hyunjin stays quiet and so does Yeji as they stare at each other with teary and loving eyes. The other girl clears her throat, "I'm Jeon Somi and this is Hwang Hyunjin. Our friend here is Bang Chan, he's a zombie. And as you can tell, we are in need of some rope."

Yeonjun guides them inside and looks for something to restrain Chan. He ends up blindfolding him and tying him up to the bed while the three sat in the living room confused.

Somi just glances at Yeji who was hugging Hyunjin tightly. Yeonjun's eyes widen and says, "What's going on?" Somi adds, "I was thinking the same thing." Yeji turns to Yeonjun still in tears while Hyunjin puts his arm around her shoulder.

Hyunjin says, "Somi, this is Hwang Yeji. She's my sister."

Yeonjun internally facepalms, "That's why his name sounded familiar." Somi gasps and points at her, "W-whoa. Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance." Hyunjin then turns to Yeji and says, "And who is he?"

Somi adds, "Friends? Boyfriend?"

Hyunjin's eyes widen, "Boyfriend!?"

Yeji interrupts, "Not boyfriend!"

Somi asks, "So friend?"

Yeonjun says a bit nervously, "Y-yeah, just friends."

Somi turns to him with a suspicious look and says bluntly, "You like her, don't you?"

Yeji blushes red and Hyunjin raises his voice again, "You like her!?"

Yeonjun suddenly puts his hands up defensively, "I-I... W-we're just-"

Somi interrupts, "You're stuttering!"

Yeonjun replies, "You're awfully blunt for someone I've just met."

Hyunjin turns his head to Yeji and asks, "Do you like him? How long has this been a thing? Is this why I couldn't find you at the house!?" Yeji stares at the ground shy.

"Aarghhh!"

Hyunjin snaps his head furiously at the restrained zombie Bang Chan, "CAN'T YOU SEE WE'RE TALKING HERE!"

Somi giggles and says, "Hehehe, I don't blame you if you like him. He's tall and handsome." Yeonjun blushes and Yeji lifts her head to see Somi smiling at her.

Hyunjin rakes his hair in frustration and says, "I should've left you in the park to die." Somi smiles at him playfully and Yeji finally talks, "What about you two? Are you two a thing?"

Somi glances at Hyunjin and he turns to his sister. Hyunjin says, "Don't you turn the tables on me, answer my question and I'll answer yours!"

Yeji crosses her arms and says, "So you're saying you like her?"

Hyunjin raises his voice, "I never said that!"

Somi adds, "So you're saying you don't like me?"

Hyunjin replies, "I never said that!"

Yeji says, "So which one is it?"

Hyunjin groans and walks to Chan. He places his head on the zombies lap and says, "Just eat me."

To be continued...