Chapter 5: Downfall [2]

Chaegi, Yeji, and Yeonjun

Yoongi shivers, "It's snowing." Chaeyoung looks at the sky and smiles, "It's romantic, no?" Yoongi unknowingly ignores her advances and turns to the kids, "Are you cold?"

Chaeyoung pouts and Yeji nods her head as she starts to shiver. Yeonjun tries to hid ehis coldness but the shivering of his teeth shows his true feeling. Yoongi exhales and his eyes turn to the fog forming out of his breath.

He looks around and notices the snow is getting only stronger. He says, "This is a problem, there's no electricity so we're going to freeze to death." Chaeyoung adds, "That's not our only problem."

Everyone turns to her and she says, "Did you forget we were in a zombie apocalypse? Doesn't this cold weather-"

Chaeyoung suddenly pauses. Her eyes widen in realization and she curses, "Shit, shit, shit. We have to find somewhere to hide!" Yoongi raises an eyebrow and the two teens start to worry. Chaeyoung rakes her hair back and says, "It's freezing cold outside, these zombies fucking prosper in the cold. Our fire won't work and they'll probably be up and walking because the sun's heat won't do anything to them."

Yoongi's eyes widen and he says, "How far are we from Jin's hotel?" Chaeyoung hisses, "Does that fucking matter? I can't see shit, we have to find somewhere to stay before this fucking blizzard kills us." Yoongi turns to the kids, "Don't curse, it's bad."

Chaeyoung raises her voice, "Yah! That's not the problem."

Yoongi sighs and looks around. His eyes dart to a small apartment and says, "Let's go." He suddenly breaks into a sprint and the three follow along behind him. They reach the door but it's frozen shut. The windows are protected by metal shutters which are also frozen shut.

Yoongi tries to kick it open but it doesn't budge. He gestures Yeonjun to help him and they start kicking the door together, but it's no use.

Chaeyoung backs away and notices that there's a fire escape on the upper floor. She says, "Come here, help me up." Yoongi quickly runs to her and tries giving her a boost but as Chaeyoung balances herself on his shoulders, her arms run short.

She hisses and gets back down on the ground.

Yoongi gently pushes her aside and says, "Yeonjun, you boost us up."

Yoongi notices the dark figures moving in the white snow and whispers, "Yeji, you first."

The taller cat eyed girl looks at them a bit pressured. Yeonjun gently places his hand on hers and smiles reassuringly. Surprisingly, this gives her the courage to keep moving. Chaeyoung helps boosts her up so she stands on his shoulders. She casually extends her hand and grabs a hold of the ladder trying to pull it down.

Yeji says, "It's frozen, it's not coming down."

Yoongi says, "Just climb and try bringing it down from up there." She nods her head and uses all her strength to pull herself up.

Once she reaches the fire escape platform, Yeji continuously kicks the ladder. She says in a panicked tone, "It's not going down!"

Yoongi's eyes remained focused on the silhouettes in the white mist. He says, "Yeonjun boost Chaeyoung up so she can help Yeji."

Chaeyoung quickly climbs onto his shoulder. She curses, "I still can't fucking reach!" Yeji crouches down and extends her hand to pull Chaeyoung up. Chaeyoung grabs a hold of her hand and tries to climb up.

Yoongi suddenly notices one figure running at them and says, "Watch out!"

He prepares to tackle it onto the ground but the frozen floor causes Yoongi to slip and miss the zombie. The zombie tackles Yeonjun causing Chaeyoung to lose her grip on Yeji's hand and falls on her leg.

Yoongi cringes once he hears a loud crack but doesn't hesitate to pull out his gun and shoot the zombie in the head.

He quickly runs to Chaeyoung who's on the ground with teary eyes. She whispers, "I broke my leg. I can't get up." Yoongi whispers, "No, you have to get up. Hurry." He tries to help her stand but she can only groan in pain as she moves her leg an inch.

Yoongi then turns to Yeonjun who stares at them in horror. He looks up to see Yeji almost crying out of frustration because she can't get the ladder to extend downwards.

Yoongi then stands and says, "Yeonjun, get on my shoulders."

"What?"

Yoongi repeats himself but with a more urgent tone, "Get on my fucking shoulders!"

Intimidated by his cold stare and his threatening voice, Yeonjun climbs on Yoongi's back and balances himself on his shoulder. With a slight extend of his hand, he climbs up the fire escape next to Yeji.

Yeonjun gently shoves Yeji to the side and uses all his strength to kick the fire escape ladder. With it being frozen tight, he takes a pause to catch his breath.

"Yeonjun!"

The taller man looks down and sees Yoongi emptying his pockets. He says, "Catch!"

Suddenly, Yoongi throws up his pistol with a few extra ammo magazines. Yeonjun was good enough to catch them but he can't think of words to say once he realizes what they're doing.

Yeonjun finally speaks up, "What are you doing?" Yoongi smiles, "Find a way to turn on the generators in there and wait it out. If anything happens, fire to the heart or wound will cure a zombie! Once, the snow clears find Jin's hotel. It's Saranghae hotel. Tell him that Yoongi and Chaeyoung sent you."

Yeonjun unknowingly tears up. They only just met the couple but seeing him runaway like this breaks his heart. He stutters, "J-just wait there! We'll find a way to get you up here!"

The growls and footsteps of the zombies start to grow more frequent and Yoongi crouches down and gently carries Chaeyoung bridal style.

Yoongi says, "Don't wait for us, make wise decisions!" He quickly runs off with Chaeyoung in his hands and the zombies follow shortly after.

Yeonjun whispers, "They'll make it out, I know it." Yeji softly puts her hand on his shoulder and he turns to see her in tears. She whispers, "I'm sorry. I couldn't-"

Yeonjun hisses, "Don't be sorry. They'll be fine. I know they will." Yeji stays quiet but she knows he's lying to himself. It's freezing cold and there were tons of zombies. Chaeyoung broke her leg and Yoongi had to carry her. There was no way they were making it out.

Yeonjun slowly hands Yeji the gun and magazines. He whispers, "Let's get inside, it's cold out here."

To be continued...