Chapter 11: Progress

Taehyun and Chaeryeong

Chaeryeong sits with Taehyun skimming through old photo-books. Taehyun says, "My parents always told me stories about the past apocalypse. How they survived and how they struggled just like we did. But their story was more... nude. It's somewhere in here..."

Chaeryeong asks, "What are we looking for? I want to help." Taehyun says while staring at each and every picture, "I don't know. I just... I have a feeling my parents told me something really useful. Maybe if I find the right picture then my brain will remember the words."

Chaeryeong stays quiet then says, "I think it's really cool your parents still make photo-books." He chuckles and says, "Right? I always asked them why they had to make a thick book when you can put everything in an album in your phone. But my dad really liked taking pictures and it doesn't help that my mom was extremely photogenic."

She glances at the many family pictures in each page. She can tell Taehyun is reminiscing the memories through his silence and his teary eyes. Chaeryeong looks back at the book and notices something strange.

She asks, "Where was this at?" Taehyun breaks free from his thoughts and turn to the book, "Oh, that's uncle Namjoon. I think that was at the Eagle Bus." Chaeryeong chuckles, "Eagle bus?" Taehyun says, "Yeah, it's like their main vehicle during the apocalypse. It's at-"

Chaeryeong continues to stare at him with big and interested eyes as he pauses. He suddenly snaps his fingers and jumps, "THE HOTEL! THE HOTEL!" She jumps back in shock at his sudden outburst. Taehyun quickly runs to her with a smile, "I remember now!"

Chaeryeong asks, "Remember what?" Taehyun aggressively flips the pages until it lands on a certain picture. It's a picture of him and his family with two extremely beautiful people.

Chaeryeong says, "And this is?" Taehyun says, "That's uncle Jin and aunt Nayeon! My parents told me that if an apocalypse happens again we were going to their hotel!" She raises an eyebrow, "But why?"

Taehyun takes the picture and pockets it, "I don't know. But they must have had a good reason, right?" Chaeryeong looks at him with uncertainty, "I-I don't know. Do you even know where the hotel's at? And if they're still alive in there? What if we leave this safe house just to be swarmed."

Taehyun sits still in front of her and gently places his hands on the side of her shoulders. He says, "I know you're scared and I'm scared too. But we're running out of food, it's freezing cold, and we can't just stand and do nothing while our parents are out there roaming around as zombies."

Chaeryeong stays quiet and whispers, "H-how are we even gonna get out of here safely?" He smiles, "I checked the car earlier, it's still in the garage. I just have to turn it on so it warms up and we can drive there."

She asks, "Do you have a driver's license?" He shakes his head and smiles, "Who cares? It's the apocalypse. You can have a turn driving too." Chaeryeong chuckles, "Is this your way of persuading me?"

Taehyun smirks, "Is it working?" Chaeryeong says, "Yes." He smiles, "I know I have a few backpacks upstairs and we can pack up clothes and snacks. Then we-"

CRASH

Both their eyes widen as they freeze and suddenly shut up. A window was just shattered.

Taehyun hides Chaeryeong behind him and they slowly back into a closet. The two hide in there as footsteps walk in front of them. Suddenly, the doorknob is twisted and the door is bashed on.

Chaeryeong holds onto Taehyun tightly and whispers, "W-we're gonna die."

Yeonjun and Yeji

Yeji stands next to Yeonjun as he says, "If it tastes too bland, we can add some salt and maybe other spices. But usually, the recipe is always correct so don't go crazy with the salt before tasting it."

Yeji nods her head as he says, "You're a quick learner." She says a bit shyly, "W-well, we spend so much time on this and it's fun doing it with other people." Yeonjun smiles, "Right? It's more boring when you cook alone."

Yeonjun then stares at the food sizzling on the pan because he can't think of anything to say. Yeji says, "W-we don't know each other." He turns his head and she suddenly gets shy, "I-I mean, we should... you know. Start learning about each other more because we're stuck together and I don't want toBeForeverAwkwardButIfYouDon'tWantToThenIDon'tMind!"

Yeonjun smiles softly at her cuteness and says, "No, I think it's a good idea. For all I know, you're the last person I'll ever meet. So... what do you want to know?" Yeji says, "Well, the basics first... I'll go first and you just go along."

He turns down the fire and says, "Shoot."

Yeji bows, "I'm Hwang Yeji. Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hwang." He starts to smile as she continues, "Twin sister of Hwang Hyunjin. I like dogs. I enjoy dancing. Sports are always fun but I don't compete a lot. I'm part of this dance club at school. I'm kind of shy but I swear I'm fun too!"

Yeji then exhales and turns to Yeonjun who's looking at her with loving eyes. She blushes and he says, "I'm Choi Yeonjun. I love cooking. I can speak English sort of. I can't say I'm shy or awkward because making new friends is fun. People say I'm good at everything but I honestly don't see it."

Yeonjun pauses and glances at Yeji who stares at him with those cat eyes. He continues, "Umm, things I love? I love elders, animals, and women."

Yeji stays quiet and Yeonjun smiles, "That kind of broke the ice a bit. But, I promise you we'll be closer as time goes on. We have a lot of time to spend anyway." Yeji nods her head and he says, "There's a lot of stuff in the fridge about to go bad, do you want me to teach you how to cook a bunch of things?"

She nods her head and they proceed to the fridge to get more ingredients. Yeonjun suddenly speaks up, "Oh and Yeji?"

Yeji turns to him expectantly and he smiles, "Everything's going to be alright, I promise."

To be continued...