King Alpha

"There is no such thing as paranoia. Your worst fears can come true at any moment"

Those were the lines I once read in a novel, though I never believed it. I don't think I have ever experienced fear in my life, well until now. And I'm not talking about things we say in our day to day life, like I'm afraid of dark or height or public speaking etc etc.

I'm talking about some real shit, which didn't happen in my life before. I was always a guarded child, always under my father's protection or my mother's arms. There hasn't been any crisis that I have faced or even knew about. I was always well off.

Today, sitting in the waiting room of a court has me thinking about what I'm feeling.

Dreadful

That's the only word in my dictionary that can explain the amount of fear I have in my heart at the thought of being separated from the twins.

The past week went in a blur. With my friends coming, meeting the lawyer and then the Terahvin. I suddenly feel like my life has turned into a daily soap opera. I don't even have the time to bask in the happiness of having my friends with me and then bam, another surprise; I have to fight for the custody of my own cousins.

Gyan, Rahoul's pack member, helped us a lot in understanding the scenario of the case. Our lawyer had much better tasks to do rather than explaining to us so he sent his assistant. I was seconds away from firing him but Rahoul said that my father trusted him for a reason which was enough for me to stop.

All of us were sitting in the waiting area. I and my cousins except the twins, along with Armaan and Gyan came to the court. Rahoul had an important meeting in the early morning so he is running late and might join us later. Gyan will be assisting Mr Singhania much to his dismay. But as always, Rahoul had his way to convince him.

Soon, it was our turn. This is my first time in a court and let me tell you it's not how we see it in the movies. It was a room with lots of file cabinets and iron cupboards on three sides and a wooden platform along with two witness boxes on the side.

We all sat on the benches lined in the front. There were some other lawyers in the room at the back. The judge came and we all rose in respect. She was a middle aged woman in her 40s I think and her face said that she means business.

After a while, the court proceedings started. The state lawyer started with explaining the case to the judge and then started the hearing. For a while it was just the state lawyer saying how the grandparents are not in the picture and all the cousins were not capable of taking care of two infants.

Our lawyer, Mr. Singhania then started the defending statements with how the kids should be with their first cousins and how well they will be taken care off. He also said that if the court finds Sparsh unsuitable to be a legal guardian then I can become the legal guardian.

The judge heard all the statements without a question from her till now and then took a 10 minutes break, much to my dismay.

Gyan turned towards me and told me to relax as things are going as planned. I sighed. Be positive.

The proceedings started again and this time the judge asked a couple of questions to both the lawyers. She asked the details of all the family members and the financial status of our family. The state lawyer then requested for my presence in the witness box.

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement. My nerves are skyrocketing and I think I'm sweating as well. But ignoring everything and pulling myself together, I made my way to the stand and smiled softly at the judge who returned my gesture.

"Ms. Asthana, first of all, please accept my condolence to you and your family. I can understand this must be a difficult time for you all" said the Judge.