Tests x and x Tests

At sunset, the group had reached an old city with a pretty straightforward pathway. That is until people wearing white masks came out on a stage and blocked the seemingly only way out of the town.

"Exciting two-choice quiz!"

Y/N flinched as the weird white-masked people began banging their instruments in "excitement." They look even scarier in person. She paused her thoughts. Something's missing. Leorio and Kurapika straightened up. They're on edge. The old woman stared at each of the main characters before speaking.

"You four are headed for that tree on the hill, correct? To reach that tree, you must pass through this town. I shall administer a single-question quiz."

Leorio nervously spoke up, "H-Hold on. What's going on here?"

The old woman kept a straight face, "You have 5 seconds to state your answer. Give the wrong answer and you're disqualified. You'll have to give up on taking this year's Hunter Exam."

"I see...Then this is part of the Hunter Exam." Kurapika kept his head down.

Leorio had a lightbulb moment, "I see how it is. I happen to be a quiz expert...Wait. Only one question?"

The old woman continued to speak. "Your answer will be either number 1 or 2. Any other answer will be considered incorrect."

"Hold on! All four of us share one question? So if one of them answers incorrectly, I'm disqualified too?" Leorio's eyes grew wide with disbelief.

Y/N noticed how quiet Gon had gotten since the people came out of the doors. He seemed to be focused on what the old woman was telling the group, but not on what Leorio or Kurapika were saying. What am I forgetting?

"As if that would happen! What scares me is the high likelihood of the vice versa happening." Kurapika attempted to reassure the rest of the group, namely Leorio.

Y/N heard the snickering of someone behind the group. "What was that?"

No one responded. Everyone else seemed too involved with the actions of the 2 choice quiz to pay any attention to her. She was forgetting something important about this scene. However, she still couldn't put her finger on it.

"But you know," Gon finally spoke up, "This way's easier since only one of us needs to know the answer." He laughed nervously, "I'm not good at quizzes."

A higher-pitched voice made its way into the conversation, "Hey, there. Hurry it up. Or else I'll answer the question first."

The group of four turned to see a man come out from a gap between two buildings. How could I forget? It's the ugly man! His snarky smile made him confident that he would be able to easily pass this checkpoint on the way to the Exam venue. Y/N watched him closely.

"Who are you?" Leorio stepped back as a precaution.

Y/N glared at the man, "He followed us from the port."

"I happened to overhear your conversation." He crossed his arms, glaring at the sharp female. Y/N scoffed.

"What will you do?" The attention returned to the old woman who seemed unfazed by the turn of events. Leorio shrugged his shoulders, "He seems eager to take it. We should let him go first."

The group moved for the man who grinned with eagerness. Y/N leaned against one of the walls and watched the scene unfold before her. Stupid man.

"Here is your question...Evil villains have captured your mother and lover. You can only save one. Select 1 for your mother, or 2 for your lover. Which will you save?"