Failsafe

Mount Justice; October 16th, 16:01 ETD

Red Tornado watched the screen in the center of the training space, turning to a second screen as another transmission came through. It was Zatara. "Tornado, did you-?" he cut himself off unable to get himself to say it despite his low and worried tone.

"Yes, Zatara. We saw." Tornado said, and the Team stood resolutely behind him, already suited up. "Celestial defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures."

"Affirmative. See you in the field." Zatara responded, signing off.

Tornado turned to the Team. "I must join the League. We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you."

Kaldur made a cursory glance at the Team before looking resolutely at Tornado. "We stand ready."

A camera panned from the destruction of a city as a woman's voice spoke over the screaming in the background before it landed on her in shaky movements. "This is Iris West-Allen, reporting live. The extra-terrestrials have brought their relentless global attack to Central City." The ships fired at the curve of the arch, knocking it to the street below, while another fired at a group of civilians running for their lives, destroying them in groups. The team watched as the members of the Justice League met their fate, not showing any emotion.

"RT," Robin's voice came through in the comms as he was hit in the back by the yellow-orange beam. The Team watched the four scenes of defeat from within the Mountain.

"We are Earth's heroes now," Kaldur said strongly.

"So, what are we waiting for? A theme song?" Superboy demanded.

"A strategy. Earth's weapons are ineffective and it has been made tragically clear a direct attack will not succeed."

Kaldur looked at Robin with a slight hope, the Boy Wonder quickly tapped on the HoloGlove. "Checking satellite imagery." The image is pulled up in front of the whole team. "Here's where the aliens are now."

"This one get lost?" Conner asked, gesturing to one near the North Pole.

"It's Superman's Fortress of Solitude."

"Superman has a Fortress of Solitude?"

"Its power source must have attracted the aliens' attention, at least enough to send a scout ship to investigate," Wanda justified.

"Must be some fortress." He grouched lowly as he turned away.

M'gann was quick to try and comfort him. "Conner."

"No, it's okay. I guess there's a lot about Superman I'll never know." He stopped and stuttered over that for a moment. "Uh, you know, now."

"We will target this lone ship." Kaldur decided.

"Yeah. Break it down. Build more. Hit those ugly aliens with their own mojo," Kid said strongly, punching his fist into his open hand to prove his point, but Artemis elbowed him in the side. "Ow!"

"Martian, Kryptonian, and Metahuman in the house." She reminded him.

The three of them looked at Wally expecting him to try and get his foot out of his mouth. "Uh," he half laughed. "Not that all aliens are automatically ugly."

...........................................................................

Outside of the Fortress of Solitude, promptly labeled with an S on the door, the Arctic Wind howled as the alien ship sat idle. Artemis, in winter gear, moved through the ice formation to an opening that let her see the side of the ship. Miss Martian was camouflaged as she flew up to the ship. Her eyes glowing green for a moment before she used her Telekinesis to rip the end of one of the wings "Communications disabled," she informed before it fell to the icy ground. "Propulsion disabled."