Almost too good

A/N: Today was the first day of school for me. Honestly, I kinda miss my old middle school. I'm well into highschool, but I'm middle school the school was really small so everyone knew everyone, we were like family, and I kinda just miss sit right now. Anyway here's some fluff. Enjoy :)

_____

Peter sat in the kitchen of the tower, watching his disorganized family bustle around.

Steve and Bucky were baking cookies calmly, Thor was accidentally crushing eggs, Tony and Rhodey were joking around, and Natasha was dying the ends of Wanda's hair.

Bruce, Pepper and everyone else were mostly keeping to themselves, trying not to add to the chaos.

Peter smiled widely.

"Peter, can you help Thor clean up his eggs? I'm in the middle of a very important conversation with Rhodey." Tony said.

Peter laughed, "Oh yeah, Laurel or Yanny is  very important dad."

He still got up to go clean the eggs.

"Okay, the cookies will be done in ten minutes, so someone go start setting up the movie!" Steve took charge.

Peter jumped to his feet, "Natasha it's your turn to chose, but you seem a bit preoccupied at the moment- what do you want?!"

Natasha shrugged, "You take my turn, I don't care."

Peter smiled wide, "Oh, I've got one!"

Only a minute later he had the movie Up set up, and a huge pile of blankets stacked on top of each other.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies wafted throughout the penthouse.

Inside was warm compared to the freezing December weather, and it made everything feel a little more cozy.

Soon everyone was sitting down, with a big bowl of popcorn and an overfilled plate of cookies.

"Shouldn't we like, leave some for Santa? It's traditional." Steve mentioned.

Tony chuckled a little, "Fuck Santa, these cookies are good."

Steve looked slightly deflated before Bucky took his hand, "I'll save some cookies for Santa for you Steve."

Now Steve seemed satisfied as the movie began.

Peter snuggled closer to Tony and Pepper, feeling overwhelmingly content as Tony wrapped his arms around him.

He loved his family so much.

"Peter? Peter? How was it?" Vision asked, in his usual flat tone.

Peter blinked, "It felt so real."

"Yes, that was the goal, remember?"

Peter nodded barely, "But I didn't... I didn't think it would work so well. I want ready. What was it?"

"Immersive Synthesizing Virtual Reality, or ISVR." Vision said plainly.

Peter tried to blink away his tears.

It all felt too real, so real he forgot everything had changed since civil war. Since Tony died.

He had truly thought Tony, everyone, was back.

"Destroy it." Peter finally said, holding back tears, looking at the empty tower that was now his.

"Why? You helped work on this for years. You would throw away all your hard work after you just found out it works?" Vision said, slightly confused.

Peter shook his head, "I said destroy it, okay?! It's not real. It never will be. The Avengers are war criminals, and Tony is dead, Pepper is gone upstate, who the hell knows where Rhodey went- it's just us two left."

"Peter, isn't that the point? To bring back what you lost? We all knew it was fake all along."

"Just destroy it! I said destroy it okay?!"Peter yelled, slamming the vr goggles down.

Vision stayed quiet.

"If you don't destroy it, I would never leave." Peter whispered now.

"Okay." Vision said simply, "I will destroy it."

Vision took lasers to the headset.

Peter almost lurched at him to stop. He knew it would take him months to recreate that, and it was the only access to the good days. But he didn't. That didn't mean his heart didn't ache.

He went out of the lab to the kitchen turning on some dim lights, and pulling out the liquor.

He laughed bitterly after taking a swig, "It's been five years. And I'm still drinking away the pain from their damn fight. If only Rogers hadn't been so stupid."

Peter took another swig, downing the glass and pouring more.

"Kch. I'm the stupid one here." Peter mumbled, "What did I think was gonna happen.

There was a beep at the intercom that was mounted to the wall.

"Peter? I'm down here waiting. It's date night, remember?" MJs voice rang through the kitchen.

Peter groaned, "Dammit. I forgot again."

He still didn't stop drinking, thinking of what his excuse would be this time.

He finally joltily got up and pressed the button on the com.

He took a slow breath,"Sorry MJ. I can't tonight I've uhm, got stuff with Vis."

He let go of the botton reluctant to hear MJs response.

There was a long minute before MJ spoke again, but when she did she sounded unfazed, as if she was forcing a smile, "Okay. Maybe next time, I know your work is important... I.. I love you Peter."

Peter rubbed the bridge of his nose, before taking a gulp from the bottle.

He knew this wasn't fair to MJ.

She deserved better.

"And I thought my life would be perfect after the avengers took me in. Ha. If only the world could see how much of a shit show they are." Peter slurred now.

Hours later he fell asleep in the couch, hugging the bottle of liquor tightly, feeling nothing.

Later my Gators 🐊

(Sorry for lying to you about the fluff 😳)