The Porch Swing

A/N: Someone asked me what I would name this chapter of my life. I said, The Porch Swing. And then I came up with this.

_____________________________________________

"Alright Ned, this is you- don't forget your stuff!" Peter said, tossing Ned his bag.

"Oh thanks! See you guys tomorrow!" Ned said before closing the car door, and running up to his building.

That left MJ and Peter in the car alone.

"The movie was really good, don't you think?" Peter said, turned on the turn signal as he made the corner.

"Yeah, I really liked that one scene, you know the scene I'm talking about?" MJ asked.

Without MJ describing it, Peter knew, "Oh yeah, that was really well done."

A short five minutes later they were outside MJ's house.

"Here, let me walk you up." Peter said, turning off the car and getting out.

Now they both stood on MJ's porch, neither of them saying goodbye.

Peter quietly sat down on the porch swing.

He looked up at the stars as he rocked himself gently, back and fourth.

"Come sit." He said quietly.

MJ smiled a little and sat down next to him, setting down her dollar store bag and pulling out some nerds.

"You want some?" She asked, opening the little box.

Peter smiled and nodded, holding his hand out.

"Look how bright mars is tonight." Peter said after a few minutes of silence.

They both looked up at the planet. It was so far and distant.

The air was cool, probably around 62 degrees.

"Do you ever get scared being spiderman Peter?" MJ asked quietly.

Peter thought for a moment, "Yeah. I do. Sometimes it's really scary."

"You're really brave." MJ smiled, a real genuine smile.

Peter smiled back, amused, "And how's that? I just said it's scary."

"Exactly. If you weren't afraid and you still were spiderman, it wouldn't be bravery because you were already not afraid... I don't know. Maybe I'm not making sense."

Peter looked into MJ's eyes. They weren't a piercing blue, and they weren't the type of brown that had specks of gold.

They were very dark, almost black looking. They glittered under the moon, and for some reason, they felt like stability when Peter looked into them.

"No, I understand. You're right. To be brave, you first have to be afraid."

MJ smiled a soft smile now.

"You probably have to go?" MJ asked, looking over to the old beat up car that Peter loved so much.

"Only if you have to."

MJ shrugged, "I don't have anywhere to be."

"Then maybe I'll stay a few minutes longer- Can you show me that drawing of the janitor you were drawing?"

MJ nodded, pulling out her sketchbook, and flipping through the pages quietly until she reached the one she was looking for.

It was the janitor, standing next to the wall casually.

"MJ... You know how much talent you have, right?" Peter asked, looking at the drawings detail work.

"Mm." Is all MJ said.

"You know, when I drew him... I was thinking. I'm gonna sound crazy, but, it just made me realize how much we're all worth. Like, maybe I'm thinking too much, but that fact that we're here is..."

"Yeah." Peter said, "You aren't crazy, I think about that all the time... That fact that were given the chance to live another day... I have to take a moment to thank whatever's out there for that."

Peter gestured to the star lit sky.

MJ slowly put her head on Peters shoulder.

Peter tensed, and then relaxed.

The feeling he was feeling was... Euphoric. Truly.

After five minutes of the two just sitting there, looking at the sky, Peter whispered, without thinking, "This is what falling in love feels like."

MJ didn't question it, but just ever so quietly said, "Yeah, it is."

Peter slowly took MJ's hand, gently holding it in his.

"How come we never knew?" He whispered.

"I don't know. Maybe we always knew but never... Felt like we needed to say anything."

Peter couldn't help but smile softly. He almost wanted to cry out of happiness, "Maybe you're right... You always are."

They sat in silence together like that, only a few crickets chirping.

Minutes past by in what felt like seconds and soon, the sun had slipped completely under the horizon.

"I should go, I'm sure May's waiting." Peter whispered.

MJ hummed in agreement, lifting her head up off Peters shoulder.

Peter wished he hadn't said anything, so they could stay like that all night.

Peter got up, and MJ followed, the porch swing creaking slightly.

They both stared at each other for a moment with faint smiles, and Peter leaned in to hug her.

They wrapped their arms around each other tightly, enjoying the warmth the hug brought.

They stayed hugging for ten seconds, which felt like longer, before they let go.

"I'll see you tomorrow Peter." MJ whispered, one hand on the door handle.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Peter breathed after MJ had gone inside.

He left to his car, and drove away, back to the apartment, where he was sure May was still up waiting.

Later my Gators 🐊