Past trauma

Years prior: Y/N at age four

You are quietly sitting next to the low table in the living room, a crayon in hand while you draw, listening to the night summer cicadas. The faint sound of the television plays in the background and the sound of the knife against a cutting board. Mom is preparing dinner before dad came home just like any other night.

But this night specifically, something is off about her.

Not just this night but the entire day after dad left for work. She didn't tend to you like she usually did. A darkness loomed over her.

Wanting to cheer her up, you decide to draw a picture of the family for her. A smile on your face as you focus extremely hard. Finishing the drawing by adding smiling faces on the three blobs you called your mom, dad, and you, you lower the crayon on the wooden table. Standing up from your seat on the floor, you hurry over to your mom. Your small hand tugs onto her dress, "Mama, look. I made this for you." Your high pitch voice calls out to her.

Instead of the smiling face you expected, you're met with a dark looming stare. Your heart rate quickens when you see the horrified expression your mother makes at you. Her hollow eyes lack any sign of life to them.

"Mama?" You nervously say, the drawing slips out of your hand when you see her turn around, the knife still in her hand. She mutters something you're unable to hear. She repeats the words as if she's chanting. You take a step back, sensing something dangerous in front of you. The person in front of you looks like your mother but she's giving off a threatening aura. She takes a step closer to you and you're in ear shot of her trembling words.

"It's all your fault." Mom repeats these words several times and you're in utter shock.

Why are you at fault? Did you do something to make her upset?

Paralyzed by her words, you notice too late that she raises her hand that carries the knife. Mom loses her mind and slashes the knife against your abdomen. You scream in pain, falling over on your butt, feet kicking back to get away from her. The cut isn't deep but the pain hurts nonetheless. "MAMA, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" You cry out, tears littering your face while the blood seeps through your white dress.

"YOU'RE THE REASON WHY I FEEL THIS MISERABLE." Mom raises the knife again, grabbing hold of your leg and dragging you back to her. She cuts against your abdomen again, the cut much deeper than the first one. Your scream pierces through the television that's faintly playing in the living room. The amount of blood that pours out of you is overwhelming and the only thing you can do is stare at the frightening face your mother makes towards you. "I SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN BIRTH TO YOU. I LOST EVERYTHING BECAUSE OF YOU."

Those words echo through your mind and your only response it to continue screaming. You scream for your dad but your shrieks only upset your mom further. Her knife cutting against your skin.

The sound of the door busting opens stops your moms shaking hand. Dad stares at the scene before him, the color in his face pales over and he runs over to your side. Mom drops her knife and the hollowness in her eyes snaps away.