Beach getaway invitation

Four months have passed since the start of your third year. The spring long gone and the summer now blazing down against you. You feel yourself drifting away from your friendship with Tsukishima and Yamaguchi due to your job and their volleyball practices. The small times you spent during lunch break isn't enough time. But now there's absolutely no time with them during summer break.

You groan into the living room, lowering the handheld fan from your hand. Not wanting to raise the electric bill for using the aircon, you feel like you are melting your skin off. You sit up from the sofa and walk over to the fridge for an ice cream but you're stopped halfway when the doorbell rings.

"Who could that be?" You walk over to the door, confused.

Dad was called over to the construction site for an urgent matter so it wouldn't be him. Besides, he has the keys to the house.

Upon opening the door, you're surprised to see Tsukishima and Yamaguchi.

"Nice to see you Y/N." Yamaguchi smiles at you. Tsukishima lowers his eyes down to you, his arms crossed and his shoulder leans against the stone house exterior beside the door. "Yo."

"What brings you two here?" You curiously say. "Did no one teach you how to greet others?" Tsukishima pinches your nose and you slap his hand away, rubbing your nose. "We came over to invite you on a little getaway." Yamaguchi exclaims cheerfully.

"A getaway?" You raise an eyebrow, repeating the question to clarify that you heard correctly. "Our seniors rented a beach house for a week and they want us to come along." Tsukishima explains in more detail.

Seniors...

You lower your eyes, recalling all of your seniors that the three of you could possibly associate with. You perk up at the thought when you remember a certain senior that made your heart waver just slightly.

"Will Sugawara be there?" You jump at the thought, a smile on your face. Tsukishima and Yamaguchi stare at one another, both seeming to mentally communicate to one another.

Is Sugawara the one Y/N likes?

"Yeah, why wouldn't he be there?" Yamaguchi chuckles. You grow smitten at the thought. "When are we going?" The amount of happiness you have from the mentioning of Suga, makes Tsukishima and Yamaguchi curious about their theory. "Tomorrow. Daichi will pick us up early in the morning." Tsukishima answers. "Don't sleep in."

Nodding your head excitedly, you tell the two farewell and hurry over to your bedroom to pack.

The two watch the door close in front of them before they have the chance to say their goodbyes. Tsukishima turns his eyes away from the door. "Did Y/N get close to Suga when we were first years?" Yamaguchi ponders on the thought, tapping a finger to his cheek. "I think she just distantly looked at him. I don't remember a time those two spent any time together. Y/N never went out of her way to come see us during volleyball practice or many of our games."

The two walk away from Y/N's front door, pondering in thought.

"It's kind of silly that the two of us are trying to figure out this mystery guy that Y/N likes." Yamaguchi chuckles, looking over at Tsukishima. Tsukishima purses his lips, his shoulders stiff. "I'm just wondering how the two of us bypassed it. We're around her most of the time until recently. I wonder..." Tsukishima slowly looks over at Yamaguchi. "Could it be you Tadashi?"

Yamaguchi goes red in the face, eyes wide. "W-WHAT?!"

"You're always kind to her compared to me. Besides, it makes perfect sense. She mentioned how she never gets to see the guy anymore and that he probably doesn't miss her. Y/N questioned us a few times if we miss her since we don't share the same class." Yamaguchi processes the words Tsukishima spits out, his eyes wavering at the thought. He starts to panic with how legitimate this claim sounds.

"N-No way, you're just saying stupid things Tsukki." Yamaguchi stops walking, his fingers running through his hair. "There's no way."

Tsukishima notices how nerve wracking Yamaguchi looks. "Hey, aren't you freaking out a bit too much?" Tsukishima calls out to Yamaguchi's nervous breakdown. "I..." Yamaguchi's lips quiver. "What's wrong Tadashi? Have you never had a girl develop feelings for you?" Tsukishima lightheartedly makes fun of Yamaguchi to ease his nerves.

"It's not that. I just." Yamaguchi bites his bottom lip, lowering his hands down from his hair and forming tight fists. He flicks his eyes over to Tsukishima's golden brown eyes. "I have someone I like."

Tsukishima is taken aback from how stern and serious Tsukishima speaks and looks. "What is it with you two hiding this kind of information?" Tsukishima shakes his head, slightly offended. "I'm guessing the person you like isn't Y/N?"

Yamaguchi lowers his eyes and shakes his head. Tsukishima sighs under his breath, walking ahead. "This beach getaway might be more interesting than I thought it will be." A smirk plasters on his face and he dryly chuckles. "If Y/N confesses to you, make sure to let her down easy Tadashi. You know how sensitive she gets."

"Stop it Tsukki..." Yamaguchi sulks, staring at Tsukishima's back. Little does Tsukishima know, Yamaguchi's feelings are towards him. If he had any other chance to confess, it would be during this beach getaway. Y/N will be distracted by Suga which will give him more time with Tsukishima.

Yamaguchi makes up his mind.

He's going to confess to Tsukishima during the week of the beach getaway.