When it all started

You find a secluded part of the beach to calm down. Resting your forehead on your knees that are pulled up to your chest, you feel the warmness of the sand underneath your feet. The ocean breeze blows through your hair and the salty smell of the ocean intoxicates your nose. Your anger relaxes when you hear the crashing waves and faint squawking of seagulls. The tears on your face slowly dry up when you lift your head up to look at the sky.

The sun rays warm up the early morning.

Tsukishima's face flickers across your mind and you frown at the thought. His cruel words hurt you but even then...your heart races for him. You kick your feet against the sand in frustration.

Why is your heart racing for a jerk like him?

The one you like is Tsukishima Kei. But he's too much of a jerk to realize.

Tsukishima comes off as arrogant and smug but there was a time you saw him at his most vulnerable. Your feelings for him developed sometime in middle school. The time you saw him at his lowest.

Sometime in middle school.

Tsukishima and Yamaguchi's final volleyball game of the year is today. Both teams are currently tied with two wins when suddenly Tsukishima had a hand injury the last set of the match. The team depended on Tsukishima incredibly and because of that, they were fumbling during the last set.

You pull yourself out of the gym to look for Tsukishima. You spot him with a nurse who's wrapping his fingers together.

"You won't be able to rejoin the match. So don't attempt to run back in there." The nurse scolds Tsukishima. He continues to rebuttal her but his words go from one ear out the other. "Kei!" You call out his name, watching his teary eyes look over at you. He quickly wipes his tears away and furrows his brows at you. "What do you want Y/N? Are you here to make fun of me?" Tsukishima is quick to put up his walls but you shake your head. The nurse excuses herself and walks back into the gym.

"Is your hand okay?" You lower your eyes to his bandaged fingers.

"I'll be fine. I'll recover in a few days as long as I don't do anything irrational."

Your shoulders relax, a small smile on your face. "That's good." You look up to Tsukishima expecting him to look relieved but he wears a scowl when he watches the volleyball game.

"If I didn't have to hurt my hand I could be out there. We would be winning by now. Why did I have to go and get hurt like this." Tsukishima rambles under his breath, anger bubbling over him. He watches his teammates constantly fumble around on the court. The score quickly raising one after another on the opposite team. Five minutes go by and it's match point.

With each passing second, you notice the tenser Tsukishima got. Your eyes too distracted by him instead of the suspense of the game. The echoing sound of the ball hitting the ground on your schools side drains the color in Tsukishima's face. This game weighs heavily on Tsukishima and he's holding the burden of the loss because of his injury. Hearing the blow of the whistle from the referee pulls Tsukishima back to reality. He dashes far away from the gym and you hurry after him.

"WHERE ARE YOU GOING KEI?!" You yell out to him, his long legs widening the distance between the two of you. Tsukishima stops himself in the courtyard, his shoulders trembling. You've never seen him react so strongly towards volleyball or anything in fact. Your breathing sharpens when you see his tears trickle down onto the concrete. "K-Kei?" You timidly say his name, unsure if you should close the distance.

"It's my fault we lost." Tsukishima whimpers out, taking his glasses off to wipe his tears that don't seem to stop. He glares daggers at his bandaged hand. "How am I going to face the team now?" Tsukishima drops down to his knees, sobbing silently and choking back his tears. An aching feeling blooms in your chest when you look at Tsukishima. You couldn't possibly feel his pain but you can see it.

You never knew how passionate Tsukishima is towards volleyball until today. Quietly, you walk over to crouch in front of Tsukishima.

"Don't blame everything on yourself Kei. Volleyball is a team game." With both hands you carefully hold his bandaged hand. Tsukishima slowly looks up to see Y/N's face, his vision faintly blurry without his glasses and the tears in his eyes. "You gave it your all and I'm sure your teammates appreciate it. They're probably upset at themselves for not winning the game in your stead." You pray your words can comfort Tsukishima when you speak aloud. Lowering your hands from his, you reach up towards his face. Your soft fingers brush away his tears and Tsukishima silently looks at you.

"To think I'll see Tsukishima Kei cry." You tease, a giggle escaping your lips.

"S-Shut up." Tsukishima stutters, putting his glasses back on when you lower your hands. Tsukishima gets up and turns his eyes to the gym. "I should head back in." Nodding your head, you slowly get up. "Yeah...good game today Kei."

Tsukishima looks over at you, a faint smile gracing his lips. "Thanks Y/N and thank you for cheering me up." Your heart wavers when you see the tender smile on Tsukishima's face. The smile making your chest warm.

"Yeah..." You nervously smile back, placing your hand on the palm of his back, pushing him forward. "Go to your team. I'll see you and Tadashi in a bit."

Tsukishima nods his head, raising a hand to say bye before jogging back towards the gym. Seeing Tsukishima disappear, you place a hand over your heart. Your heart thumps wildly against your chest.

"W-What is this..." You nervously whisper. "Ew. Is my heart racing for that giraffe?"